Royal Sun Alliance Motability Scam!

Warning to anyone who has a Motability car and has had an accident! I got a call this morning from (allegedly!) Royal Sun Alliance Motability to tell me the driver who hit my car up the back had admitted liability and that I was entitled to a minimum of £1500 each for me and my son who was with me when it happened! they had all the details of the accident and said all I needed to do was to sign a form and see a doctor to tell him how it affected us and the money would be ours!!! sounded too good to be true so called RSA motability and its a scam they dont know how they got my details but be warned people. If it happens to you call the real RSA Motability as they are investigating!! Some sick people in this world and they know we are disabled or we wouldnt have a motability car in the first place! take care and be well Cheryl XXX

Hi Bigeyes. That’s is rotten, I might be wrong here but I think someone in RSA could be selling/given info to 3rd parties to get this scam working as they knew everything about your accident. Some scumbags will just keep going lower and lower to get what they can, hopefully they will get their up and coming one day. Cheers Stephen.

She seemed very genuine she had the date of the accident the other drivers name and lorry reg etc knew where it was etc etc and my home telephone number which is ex directory and I dont give out willy nilly, when I asked her to confirm where she was calling from she said RSA motability all seemed very credible but I know the driver has not admitted liability so there wouldnt be any compensation eh!!! Ive done my best to pass it on to anyone who might have a motability car or have recieved a call like this one. RSA say they dont pass our info on but the other parties insurance company might have any way they are investigating and want anyone who has a call like this to get in touch xxx

I had an accident earlier in the year and had a couple of ‘Insurance Companies’ calling my home number AND my mobile to tell me how much compensation they could get for me. RSA had already passed my details onto Cogent Law who dealt with my case but like you, these scammers appeared to have all details of the accident and my personal details… :shock:

I was more worried that they are doing this pretending to be RSA motability Ive had emails and texts you know the sort and I just ignore them delete delete!!! but I am worried they appeared to be calling from RSA by the amount of details they had and by saying they were thats gotta be fraud! how do they get these and how long till someone gets suckered in! the Girl I spoke to at the real RSA said they are getting a lot of calls about this so Ive sent a message to watchdog hopefully they will look into it and put a warning on their show!

bigeyes777 wrote:

Warning to anyone who has a Motability car and has had an accident! I got a call this morning from (allegedly!) Royal Sun Alliance Motability to tell me the driver who hit my car up the back had admitted liability and that I was entitled to a minimum of £1500 each for me and my son who was with me when it happened! they had all the details of the accident and said all I needed to do was to sign a form and see a doctor to tell him how it affected us and the money would be ours!!! sounded too good to be true so called RSA motability and its a scam they dont know how they got my details but be warned people. If it happens to you call the real RSA Motability as they are investigating!! Some sick people in this world and they know we are disabled or we wouldnt have a motability car in the first place! take care and be well Cheryl XXX

It’s unethical (in my opinion), however not a “scam” as such. They’re just trying to drum up business for a claims management company, who would pursue a personal injury claim on your behalf, with a view to a cut of the proceeds. There is absolutely nothing to stop you suing, if you wanted to, and nothing to stop you doing it through one of these ambulance-chasing companies. They probably did get your details, and those of the accident, from the bona fide insurers, for a referral fee! There’s talk of making these referral fees illegal, because the increased number of petty claims they generate is pushing up insurance costs for everyone. You can read a Guardian article about it here: Ban on referral fees seeks to curb rise in insurance costs | Car insurance | The Guardian So you haven’t been targetted by a “scam” as such. It’s just a sales person for a company that makes money out of suing for minor accidents. Exactly the same kind you see advertising on daytime TV, saying: “Have you had a slip, trip, or fall at work in the last three years?” All perfectly legal, at present - just not particularly nice. Tina

Thanks Tina but if someone calls saying they are from Royal Sun Alliance then I would expect them to be from that company! and to clarify the person I spoke to from the real RSA mobility said it was a scam so I will continue to call it one! RSA does not sell on details for a referal fee they have told me this today and I am fully aware of the “have you had a trip of fall” claims management companies. My point was to warn anyone that may get a call like this.

Lifes not your own anymore - these companies ‘sell’ all these personal details. What happened to data protection. l have a friend who works for Tesco - and she was telling me never use the club card as you automatically are given away all your details. This applies everywhere - l see people who use Facebook are at risk of giving away all their personal/banking/mobile phone details. l read this on one of the BBC news sites. l googled Go Compare to get a better price for my car insurance - within minutes l had the AA telephone me with a quote. The strange thing was they had previously posted me a quote for £740 - which was crazy - the quote over the phone was for £154 for the same policy. l stayed with Saga - as they ‘honoured’ the AA price. lts the age we are living in - nothing is sacred anymore. Thanks so much for letting us all know - we must all be on our guard.

Thank you for the ‘heads up’. What tickles me (in the way of wanting to slap the tickle away) is when I get cold called ‘about the RTI I was involved in as their records show blah blah…’ - I dont drive - never held a licence beyond provisional - and have never (so far - knock virtual wood!) been in an RTI so how can their computer show that I was!!! Accchhh I hate scammers. Another one going the rounds is Microsoft. You get a call from someone claiming to be ringing from Microsoft about a problem you have notified them about. Strangely enough Microsoft do all their work on line…wouldn’t dream of phoning you up to sort out a software issue over the phone - that is what the internet is for!!. Deffo wouldn’t then be asking for all your personal details etc so they can ‘securely access’ the PC to ‘resolve the issue’ - and get into your bank account and credoit card…I have had 3 such calls in the last 6 weeks - I just acted daft and pretended I didn’t know what a PC was! The last time they called my OH answered the phone and he just yelled "Lying Bstrd* down the phone. I almost wet myself as he is such a sweet gentle man and he never swears! :lol: :lol: Trust No-one as Mulder would say! Clarexxx

We often get these cold calls about a problem with computer lts usually a ‘foreign accent’ - l say nothing and just leave the phone ‘off the hook’ for a while - that way there ‘line’ is blocked.

Watchdog covered this story IN April 2011 “If you’re injured in an accident your insurance provider can pass your details to a personal injury lawyer, or a claims management company who will act as a middle-man and find a solicitor for you. In return, lawyers and claims management companies pay the insurer a referral fee, which can be as much as £900.” Full story here http://tinyurl.com/6xcccdj Campion, Guess who owns the AA :?: Saga :!:

I think you will find that most insurance/legal claim firms are at it. Is it not in the trade, called ambulance chasing . Take care, as was well stated by “Campion” “Life’s not your own anymore”. Chris R. I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Verona wrote:

Watchdog covered this story IN April 2011 “If you’re injured in an accident your insurance provider can pass your details to a personal injury lawyer, or a claims management company who will act as a middle-man and find a solicitor for you. In return, lawyers and claims management companies pay the insurer a referral fee, which can be as much as £900.” Full story here http://tinyurl.com/6xcccdj As pointed out by Anita!! :sunglasses: Campion, Guess who owns the AA :?: Saga :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bigeyes777 wrote:

Thanks Tina but if someone calls saying they are from Royal Sun Alliance then I would expect them to be from that company! and to clarify the person I spoke to from the real RSA mobility said it was a scam so I will continue to call it one! RSA does not sell on details for a referal fee they have told me this today and I am fully aware of the “have you had a trip of fall” claims management companies. My point was to warn anyone that may get a call like this.

Well she would wouldn’t she?? :roll: She’s not going to admit to the company selling on customers’ details is she??. :lol:

You know what your a sour lot I was only trying to help but go on take the piss and tell me I am stupid! wont bother again!

bigeyes777 wrote:

You know what your a sour lot I was only trying to help but go on take the piss and tell me I am stupid! wont bother again!

I was grateful for the heads up, I had not heard abot this practice before, so thank you! Clare

Not directed at all Claire thank you XX

No worries chick! Cxxx