Room keeps spinning

Hey everyone,

I’m recovering from a 2 month spell of weakness, headaches, light headedness, fatigue and altered sensation and for the last couple of weeks I have had patches of pretty bad dizziness where I’ve had to sit down or grab something so I don’t fall over. I’m not currently diagnosed and have a pattern of ‘relapses’ every year or so but this is the first time I’ve experienced dizziness.

I’ve managed to isolate triggers to moving my head too fast, there being a lot of visual stimuli- like in a busy shop, and scrolling too fast on a screen. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on easing the dizzy feeling? Sometimes I just feel a bit fuzzy and lightheaded and other times I feel like the whole room is spinning. Aside from staring at the same spot for ages I haven’t found much that helps and it is affecting my ability to work.

I’m usually pretty strong through most of my symptoms but the dizziness is really getting to me and making me feel very low. I have a private neuro appointment next week so I am going to bring it up, but any advice/ tips/ dizziness solidarity would be much appreciated!

Georgie

x

Hello Georgie

It sounds like you have vertigo. Staring at a spot on the wall is actually a good thing to do for vertigo. You could try slowly moving your head from side to side whilst keeping your eyes focussed on that spot. If you were to do this frequently through the day, trying to increase the length of time you do it for, you might find it helps.

Yesterday I wrote an answer to Patience’s question about feeling dizzy with an example of a vestibular exercise, you could have a look at that. Or look up Vestibular Exercises and see what you come up with.

I’ve also just now answered Roasty’s post on preparing for a first appointment. Have a look at Advice for attending a first appointment - New diagnosis and before diagnosis - MS Society UK | Forum

Good luck with your appointment next week.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for your reply, and for pointing me towards the Vestibular Exercises- I am already checking them out!

This is actually one in a long line of neuro appointments I’ve had over the last 4 years. I recently went private because the NHS wait was 4 months and by the time my appointments come round I’ve usually recovered enough from the spell that I was referred for that it is really hard to do an exam.

I’m crossing my fingers for a productive appointment next week but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much as I know that getting some answers is unlikely. I have inconclusive lesions that showed on a previous brain scan so I’m hoping at least to be able to get a second opinion on those.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Georgie

x

1 Like

Hi Georgie,

I can totally relate to what you’re saying as I went through that myself for quite a while a number of years ago and it’s very distressing but at the same time I also had an inner and outer ear infection but I was eventually diagnosed with Vertigo which unfortunately I still suffer from now (on & off) and at the moment I’m having a bad ‘episode’ of it. I have some tablets to take but I try not to as they themselves can heighten my symptoms so I try to ride it through the best I can which is easier said than done I know.

When the dizziness is bad I do a lot of sitting down/standing still gripping hold of whatever’s around to try and help steady myself until it passes. I don’t think I have actually fallen over but I have (& do) fall forward a lot due to my balance. I get terrible headaches and awful pressure in my neck with it too and the nausea I feel is dreadful, again that’s where the tablets can be used. Oh, another thing I do use and it probably might sound silly but ‘Polos’ or mints and I find this does help (for some reason).

I’m sorry if I not been much help but Good Luck with your appointment I hope all goes well.

Twinkle Toes x

Hi Twinkle Toes,

It is nice to hear that I am not alone in my dizziness! I am taking all tips as worth a shot so I will invest in some polos asap. I’m conscious that I look slightly drunk sometimes as I wobble and grab onto things, but I guess I will just need to get over my self-consciousness… This particular symptom is making me really grouchy and mood swingy, which is not like me at all so I’m really hoping it will subside soon!

I have been getting bad headaches over the past couple of weeks and I feel like there is pressure on the left side of my head and face so it is helpful to know that could also be part of the dizziness. I never know whether I should be seeing my GP when new things like this come up, as I’m not diagnosed he usually just assumes that everything is related to neurology and tells me to wait until I have a neuro appointment. I wonder how many times symptoms are actually not related!

Thanks so much for your reply, it means a lot to know other people are also going through this.

Georgie

x

Hi Georgie,

Yes, I think it always helps to know that somebody else is going through the same problem as yourself and you’re able to help/offer/share advice with each other.

So on that basis, yes, do take all the tips that you’ve been given and give them a try they work for some but not all but if you don’t try you won’t know (omg I just sounded like my mum lol) and as for the ‘Polos’ they make a good investment l always have some in my bag/pocket and at home as I never know when I might get symptoms.

As for you looking like you’re drunk sometimes I’m like that and yes, I feel self-conscious but it does get easier and I always try to tell myself that it doesn’t matter as I’ll never see these people again or actually due to my memory problems I’ll forget all about it anyway. However, if you feel you need to you can just briefly say that you’re not drunk but you have a balance problem or like some might say you don’t need to explain yourself at all.

You’re probably not feeling much like yourself (maybe more moody) but it’s only a temporary issue and this is not you really and I’m sure your family and friends will know this it may take a while but your symptoms will subside.

I do think that your symptoms do sound very much like Vertigo which is what I have and once you’ve had your Neuro appointment you will know better and where you go from there with things.

Oh, as for never knowing who to see with your symptoms make sure you have a list of them including dates and times (as in how long and how often they last) and take this to your Neuro appointment and then once you’ve seen him/her then go back to your Doctor with it and your results from the Neuro appointment.

Good-Luck hope it all goes well.

Twinkle Toes x

Hi Twinkle Toes,

I have eaten a lot of polos in the last few days I think the act of sucking a polo is distracting me enough that I do actually feel less dizzy so thank you so much for the tip!

I went to the GP today as I have started to feel a bit like my ear is muffly/ bunged up so I wondered if it was actually an ear infection and not related to neurology stuff for once. Alas, the GP could find nothing physically wrong with my ears or eyes so has told me to make sure I bring it up with the neurologist and come back in a few weeks if it hasn’t subsided or if the neurologist doesn’t think it is related.

I am so keen for this neurology appointment! Being at work is super tough when scrolling on the computer can set off the vertigo so my productivity has dropped quite a bit. My work are awesome and are being really supportive but it is still tough.

Thanks again for all of your kind words, I really do appreciate it and it is nice to hear that there is solidarity.

All the best,

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

Sorry for the late response but I’ve not been too good with my Vertigo and other symptoms that flared up too but I’ve had plenty of rest and sleep and kept on top of my pain relief. I feel better than I did but I’m just taking my the time with things now and hopefully this will pass.

I have an appointment with my MS Nurse on Friday and an appointment with the Neuropyscologist on Wednesday and I’m hoping that something will come of them.

I’m sorry that you’ve been going through what you have and that the Doctor was unable to find anything physically wrong but that’s good that he said to go back if it doesn’t clear up or if the Neurologist doesn’t find anything either as that means he’s not dismissing you or the problem (as so many do).

That’s great that work are being supportive and I understand how tough it must be and although you feel your productivity has dropped that can only be expected at the moment but hopefully that won’t last.

I know what you mean about scrolling on the computer though as that to me is also sometimes a trigger so I have to scroll very slowly but I think it’s also the brightness on a computer but you can turn that down and that might help. Failing that you could always wear your sunglasses to help - yes, I have done this lol

Hope everything goes well for you at your apartment :slight_smile:

Twinkle Toes x

P.S. That’s good to hear that my suggestion of Polos is helping you too just go easy on them lol