Forum

RESTRICTED BREATHING, ADVICE PLEASE

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing ok, on and off for the last few weeks I haven’t been too good, old symptoms playing up with some new ones in toe, one of which is what someone on here called restricted breathing, I couldn’t think of a name for it and decided this was the best one, anyway it’s like the hug but without the pain, it’s right in the middle of my chest, just where the bra is, it feels like the muscle is too tight, like I can’t get a good ling full of air, makes me feel light head, and too be honest at times it’s very uncomfortable, the only relieve I get is if I make myself burp, along with this it also feels like my throat is closing up, not enough room there, now when this came on last year I had alot of tests run, camera down, bloods, camera even up my nose everything came back normal, so like everything they but it down to the MS, I haven’t spoken to the MS nurse yet, but I did tell my Neuro who just made a note of it, if you get this what have you done, and what helps you, because to be honest I’m just about fed up of it now, thanks for listening, take care, Jean x

I know some of what you’re going though Jean, I have the hug and sometimes breathing is difficult. I’ve found the MS relaxation helpful as it teaches us to breath from the tummy muscles rather than the ribs. I also have noticed that after I’ve taken my pain drugs it seems to dies down a bit. It tends to get worse as the day progresses and sometimes just have to lie down and listen to my relaxation cd. I’m pleased to hear you’ve been checked out for other causes, as you never know it may not be MS but then it probably is.

Take care

Wendy x

thanks Wendy, it’s just so good to know you’re not on you’re own, sometimes this feeling can be a bit un nerving, take care, Jean x

Hi Jean, just wondering if it is anything to do with something I get. acid reflux.

About 2 yrs ago I went to GP with the pains, which sounded like angina when my mum described hers. I saw a cardiologist who dxd me with acid reflux.

I now take 15mg lansoprazole daily. I began on 30mg to zap it. I get it occassionally still. It starts in my sternum, goes thru to my back, up my neck and into my teeth…yeh, sounds crazy, doesn`t it?

Just a thought hun.

luv Pollx

[quote=“MS43”]

Hi Jean, just wondering if it is anything to do with something I get. acid reflux.

About 2 yrs ago I went to GP with the pains, which sounded like angina when my mum described hers. I saw a cardiologist who dxd me with acid reflux.

I now take 15mg lansoprazole daily. I began on 30mg to zap it. I get it occassionally still. It starts in my sternum, goes thru to my back, up my neck and into my teeth…yeh, sounds crazy, doesn`t it?

Just a thought hun.

luv Pollx

[/quote] thanks Polly, I was tested for this as my GP did think it was this, what with all the meds we have to take, anyway after having the camera down all was well no damage at all, take care, luv Jean x

Hi Jean

I can’t remember the proper name for it, but my gp explained that the

muscles under my sternum have gone into spasm causing this, wonder

if this is what you have been experiencing.

I take baclofen which does not stop the spasms completely but does

take the edge off.

Pam x

Hi Jean,

You are not alone- I too have been experiencing similar symptoms to you. I am dx with RRMS 15 years ago and roughly about two and half years ago my throat started feeling really tight and it felt like I had a lump in it. I could swallow food and drink ok but was conscious of it dry swallowing. It never really occured to me that it could be MS related at the time.I put it down to stress as my dad was very ill at the time and I was driving up North to visit him alot. Anyway this feeling persisted even after Dad died when to be honest my stress levels were reduced. Eventually I went to see GP who didn’t know what it was but referred me to ENT. I saw them and had camera up nose,down throat. She said she thought it was acid reflux-although I had no pain/heartburn etc. just this tight throat. She prescribed omeprazole. I took it for 5 months and saw no improvement. In meantime saw neuro for yearly appointment. He didn’t think it was MS related!! I spoke to MS nurse who hadn’t heard of it with MS. I stopped taking the omeprazole and went back to GP who said try lansoprazole, which I am now on but again it is not having any effect. I feel like no one believes me but I have had this tight feeling for over 2 years now and I know it’s real. I think it prob is MS related a spasm in my throat but it never seems to let up. At the mo I am taking a break from DMD,was on rebif about to start copaxone. I was prescribed baclofen for stiff legs earlier in year but didn’t like the side effects made me feel really giddy even a tiny dose.

If you get any relief please let me know.Take care

Cathy

He didn’t think it was MS related!! I spoke to MS nurse who hadn’t heard of it with MS.

Cathy

[/quote]

Oh Cathy the times I’ve been told that things are ‘not MS’!

Wendy x

I’ve been having the same problem for 4 weeks now, except with me it’s a muscle in my back just under my right shoulder blade, it pushes against the chest wall. The pain varies but the restrictive breathing is all the flippin’ time and it gets really exhausting so I know what you’re going through. Anyway, having seen the GP and MS nurse this is what has helped me, it hasn’t stopped it completely, but these things have helped

GP prescribed Diazapam at 2mg for when the pain is high and/or the breathing really difficult. MS nurse suggested 75mg of Pregablin taken in the morning, this works for spasm and pain. ( I already take double that at night anyway). I have an infer red handheld massager which I use as and when needed to try and relax the muscle, I also use a hot water bottle. Stretching exersices have helped too, and I don’t wear a bra unless I’m going out. When I can take a full breath I exhale quickly, again to try and send a message to the muscle to stop it !

It can be difficult not to panic at times, I try to breathe through my nose, otherwise I find myself gasping for breathe and that makes it worse. I also burp too, not by choice. A neuro physio should be able to give you the exercises to stretch the muscle, your GP can referr you if you don’t already see one.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Spasms in all parts of the body are definitely ms related. I woke last night to a very sharp tight pain in the middle of my chest. Ive had numerous tests and about to have ECG but nothing is ever found. It feels like I cannot breath like you Jean and it hurts so very much. Mine does go off but comes whenever it wants and is quite frightening.

I think the literature on ms needs updating because there are far too many of us getting weird symptoms sounding very much like muscles spasming - must be, cos no other reason is ever found.

The times Its been incinuated Im mad.

Hope you do get answers Jean but I think your experiencing either ms hug or part of your musculature around your lung area is spasming.

Keep us informed J.

take care,

bren

x

Thank you so much for you support and replies, the more this goes on the more I think it is spasms, even when I’m really relaxed, which to be honest is most of the time it’s still there, driving me mad, I’m sure this is making my fatigue worse, if I get any answers I’ll let you know, all though to be honest I’m not holding my breath, pardon the pun, take care all and have a good day, Luv Jean x

Not sure if this is the same Jean, but I had what felt like a large man’s fist pressing down right on my sternum which, while very uncomfortable, wasn’t really painful. Anything but shallow breathing hurt though :frowning:

Because of its location, I was a bit worried that it might have something to do with my heart, but that’s been OK’d. So it looks like it’s a strange version of the hug.

Not that that’s terribly helpful to you of course, but I thought it might be good to know that I seem to get something similar.

Saying that, I wonder if mine was mild because I take baclofen and spasmonal forte? Spasmonal forte is a muscle relaxant for involuntary muscles (muscles that we can’t consciously control) and the muscles between the ribs seem to have voluntary and involuntary control from what I’ve read on-line. I take it to control digestive spasms, but like baclofen, I would guess it affects all muscles that work in that way?

@ Cathy: maybe it would help you too?

Karen x

thanks Rizzo, I too take Baclofen 60mg a day, I did take 90mg but about 18mths ago neuro suggested decreasing because of my fatigue levels, now to be honest the fatigue not a whole lot better, but this breathing issue seems to be getting worse, and staying around longer, I get really frustatrated because I/we ask questions, tell the powers that be whats going on, and I know for me I don’t get a straight answer as to why it’s happening, thanks for repling, take care, Jean x

Hi Jean, sometimes at night, I seem to need to swallow harder than usual to be able to breath. It is a scary feeling, isn`t it?

luv Pollx

[quote=“MS43”]

Hi Jean, sometimes at night, I seem to need to swallow harder than usual to be able to breath. It is a scary feeling, isn`t it?

luv Pollx

[/quote] Hi Polly, yes it is scary at times, and I think I do well to keep calm, makes me smile, or not that the powers that be just let us get on with it, hope you’re ok, Luv Jean x