I STRUGGLE TO BREATH

Morning everyone, hope you all as well as you can be, I have SPMS, and although things are progressing slowly, it still has a big impact on my life, (like alot of others on here), anyway, on and off I’ve had problems breathing, now when it first started, and that was a good while ago, I did get the pain in the chest area, went to see GP had all the tests done, all clear, now when I get it I don’t get the pain, but I do get a feeling like my throat is closing up, and muscle right in the middle of my chest is tight, so this makes me feel like I can’t get a full breath, I’m going to see my GP tomorrow, not about my MS, but I will mention this, I wouldn’t mind if I felt all worked up and anxious, but I don’t, in fact I’m very relaxed, I don’t think there’s an answer, just wanted to get it off my chest, sorry pardon the pun, take care all, Jean x

Hi Jean,

I started to have breathing problems last year. I’ve had pollen and hair allergies for the last 30 years, which was just sneezing, runny nose and itchy eyes and all controllable with pills and sprays and drops.

Last year I started to feel my throat closing up and became short of breath and I have late-onset asthma. I use two inhalers - one a cortisone dose and the other a long-lasting (12 hour) dose.

Does your throat or chest rattle at night?

I was moaning about the amount of medicines that I have to take - a mountain and that I didn’t want to not be able to breathe on top of all this, but to be honest, the asthma medications have really helped so much. I was hypoxic - less than %94 oxygen saturation and had to have a session on the nebuliser at the clinic, which put my oxygen levels back to %99 again.

I have a Ventolin spray as well, for times when breathing is really hard - like after a bit of exercise.

I really, really didn’t want this, but the new drugs have helped so much. Right now I’m taking at least 12 medicines per day and some of them twice per day and that includes the LDN. I don’t resent the medications but I often wonder what I’m going to have to start to take next.

Do tell your GP, you may be pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of what’s available.

best wishes,

K

xx

Hi Jean

I have this as well at the moment. It’s not as bad as it has been before but i tend to sit up in bed to help the feeling of tightness. I think it might be to do with the MS ‘hug’ although never had this confirmed by any medical person.

To help try not to wear tight/close fitting clothes and also lean forward to take a deep breath in every so often - this works for me.

I have a small hiatus hernia so this adds to my problem but i know what you mean with the struggle to take a deep breath - just another MS problem!

Gill

thanks for you’re reply, no my chest doesn’t rattle at night, all seems clear there, I do get a bit of hay fever, but with this breathing I feel like this autumn and winter, so I thought it can’t be that, so I will at some point talk to my MS nurse and she what she has to say, thanks again, take care, Jean x

Hi Jean,

I started to have breathing problems last year. I’ve had pollen and hair allergies for the last 30 years, which was just sneezing, runny nose and itchy eyes and all controllable with pills and sprays and drops.

Last year I started to feel my throat closing up and became short of breath and I have late-onset asthma. I use two inhalers - one a cortisone dose and the other a long-lasting (12 hour) dose.

Does your throat or chest rattle at night?

I was moaning about the amount of medicines that I have to take - a mountain and that I didn’t want to not be able to breathe on top of all this, but to be honest, the asthma medications have really helped so much. I was hypoxic - less than %94 oxygen saturation and had to have a session on the nebuliser at the clinic, which put my oxygen levels back to %99 again.

I have a Ventolin spray as well, for times when breathing is really hard - like after a bit of exercise.

I really, really didn’t want this, but the new drugs have helped so much. Right now I’m taking at least 12 medicines per day and some of them twice per day and that includes the LDN. I don’t resent the medications but I often wonder what I’m going to have to start to take next.

Do tell your GP, you may be pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of what’s available.

best wishes,

K

xx

[/quote]

Hi Jean, sounds worrying this breathing problem.

Yes, it is normal for the throat muscles to tighten when we are stressed.

Perhaps your GP will send you for tests. I hope so anyway.

Let us know how it goes, yeh?

luv Pollx