Raging....Disabled parking Fiasco

I don’t want to tar everyone with the same brush, but I’m convinced there must be something in the manuals in Range Rovers/BMW X5s/Audi Q7s that says you can park anywhere. Normally driven by young adults with expensive clothes (that look ridiculous), with no thought for the law whatsoever. Police are usually too frightened to say anything for fear of getting a mouthful themselves. Should’ve let the tyres down!!! Al

That woman had an awful attitude and it’s a pity the police didn’t ask what the whole argument was about before making assumptions. I do love the idea of taking the licence number into the store and having it read over the tannoy. Must mention that to my dad who regularly gets frustrated at the lack of spaces at our local supermarket.

In defence of four wheel drive vehicles I would just point out that some disabled drivers choose them because they are easier to get in and out of if you are tall. My dad is over 6’ and has severe arthritis (and I do mean very severe) in his hips and knees amongst other joints. If he sits in any seat where his backside is lower than his knees, when he tries to stand he has to use a lot of effort and then there have been times when his knees have buckled and he hits the deck. It hurts when you have a long way to fall.

It happened once when he and mum stopped in a layby; he walked to the boot, lifted the boot and mum watched him disappear! Sounds comical, but in reality - not. He did have a privately owned Range Rover but has just taken delivery of a brand new Skoda Yeti because he didn’t realise he qualified for the motability scheme until they wrote to him and offered him one. He’s like a kid with a new toy :slight_smile:

Tracey x

Still not to late to do anything. Supermarkets have CCTV looking at those bays so ask them to give you the images. And report the two twats wearing uniforms. They clearly didn’t do there job! All incidents are logged as they would have radioed that in. BE

I hope you do find some evidence to support this. What a horrible woman! Yesterday I saw a car pulling into the disabled parking outside Tesco. Out jumped to big shaven headed men, and no blue badge in sight. I was sadly to scared to say anything because they looked quite menacing. If I had read this before, I would have done what Sue did and reported it to customer services. I will do that if I ever see that again. On the other side of the coin, I have parked in disabled bay and forgot to put my blue badge up. Came back to my car after shopping, to find my wing mirrors had been pulled off! So I won’t make that mistake again

Well done Sue. I often don’t park in disabled bays when I’m feeling well enough as I think of the people who really need the extra room and close proximity but on days when I do need them I get the same frustrations.

It’s a shame that some people are brought up with no manners, no consideration for other people, an arrogant attitude believing they’re important and entitled. I’m sure they have to flash the cash buying expensive cars, clothes etc as they won’t get friends by being themselves.

I might be poor but we’re clean, presentable and what we own is well looked after. My parents brought me up with manners, and respect for myself and others and that’s how I’m bringing my daughter up too. Shame on the ignorant!

Min

Saw this the other day… TO WHOM WAS PARKING THIS CAR ________________________________ This is a disabled parking space graciously provided for those with a disability, issued with a Blue Badge, something which cannot be found displayed in your car. Consider this so warm message to ask you to take an extra 20 steps in the car park for those that cannot. Love, the truly disabled. Thought I might print it out and carry a few around with me :))

i get more abuse from blue badge holders who have never spent the time to read the rules in the little blue book that comes with the blue badge.The blue badge is used for on street parking not supermarket car parks.I have been called at least 20 times over the supermarket public address system to move my vehicle from a disabled space.As the vehicle is a land rover 90% of the people who park in blue badge bays believe that a land rover cannot park in them.When i ask the customer services what the problem is with the vehicle they reply that a customer with a badge has complained about my vehicle being parked in their space and is causing them difficulty in parking. I then take even longer to do my shopping as ive had to walk the length of the store to get to customer services--- and the longer im in a disabled space,much to the annoyance of the people whove complained and the ones that are about too!!!!! . Normally when the complaining ones dont get any responce and the vehicle does not get moved they get quite angry and tend to hover about at the entrance moaning at other blue badge holders about the land rover that has no right to be parked there insighting more anger and more complaints !!! That is what i have to put up with every time we go to the shops,verbal abuse and complaints,police being called to move the land rover,cars parking across the rear of vehicle-to hold me there until the police come to arrest me for parking a land rover in a blue badge space.Reading this you probably think i deserve it --------- only a slight problem, nobody looks at THE BLUE BADGE ON DISPLAY IN THE WINDSCREEN.

Seems a bit of a contradiction to me if you then end this by saying THE BLUE BADGE DISPLAY IN THE WINDSCREEN.

You start by saying it is for on street parking well MY SUPERMARKET says DISPLAY Blue Badge…So like I started off with the yellow boxes should NOT be overlapped by people WITH or WITHOUT the badge.

ANON…You end with THE BLUE BADGE ON DISPLAY IN THE WINDSCREEN. seems to be a bit of a contradiction especially as you start of with “The blue badge is used for on street parking” and now your point seems a little irrelevant.

Our Supermarket literally asks us to DISPLAY the BLUE BADGE.

I agree, I still display it whenever we are parked in a disabled spot wherever it is, it just makes life a LOT simpler. Even if we’re on private property, that way the owner of the land (supermarket or whatever) knows why we are parked there, who needs the aggro of being questioned when you DO have a blue badge?!

Sonia x

As someone has already commented - lf you can -photo the offending vehicle and its number plate. My daughter’s car was parked in a pub carpark and the hand brake failed [ yes, we have all told her to leave it in gear] it rolled across the car-park and rested itself against someones car causing a bit of damage. She took lots of photos and wrote a note and left it on the windscreen saying what had happened and her contact numbers - and she photo’d the note on the windscreen. lt was a week later when they contacted her having somehow not noticed the note. ln the meantime my daughter had reported it to the police - and asked if they could give her the name and address of the cars owner. They could not divulge the info. lts all sorted out now - she has had their car repaired - even sorted them a courtesy car for the day. She daren’t claim through her insurance as they would bump it up next time.

Her boss parked her brand new Lexus [£45.000] in the supermarket car-park and someone has scrapped all down one side damaging all the panels. And driven off.

Caz,

lf there is a next time - don’t struggle - go back into the store -or ask someone else to - and get the message put out over the tannoy. And do look and see if they have got a blue-badge. And if they look really able-bodied - give their vehicle details to the council for re-checking. [then let down their tyres].

The point is people make their mind up 50 yards from the vehicle that a land rover cannot have a blue badge on display ------ they do not even check the windscreen before opening their mouths with you cannot park that there,these spaces are for disabled cars to which i normally ask point to a disabled car then? They all look the same to me.Its the person who has the badge not the vehicle. And as for the rules it clearly states that the blue badge scheme only applies to highways/on street NOT supermarket car parks (private property and nothing to do with the Department of Transport who make the rules for the blue badge and then the county councils issue them) Supermarkets have different rules amongst themselves,some have camera controled carparks where a third party manages the car parking.If the carpark land is owned by the council different rules again apply------ but it is only courtesey that they provide blue badge parking spaces and xtime limit on how long you can be parked there.As carparks in supermarkets get tarted up every so often with new paint etc.and new signs have a look ---- it does not say badge holders only / blue badge must be shown---it simply says Disabled Parking By saying disabled parking badge holders only, you can be prosecuted under european law. Think about ALL the disabled people out there,those that are pretty knackered but dont qualify for a blue badge, where are they going to park or don`t people care. Point — you do not have to have a badge to be disabled----- those people have the same rights as badge holders and thats why the signs are getting replaced. [comment removed by Moderator]

I may be wrong but I think the point anon is trying to make is that people with blue badges do actually drive Landrovers and such. I can empathise with anon because my OH was employed by Landrover/Jaguar and I have been subject of abuse because I have parked one or the other in disabled bays.

As anon says no one even looks at our badges they just assume they must be bogus because we aren’t driving an ‘ordinary’ car. It makes no odds to some people that the vehicle is automatic because I have trouble driving a manual car. In these cases it is jealousy.

I certainly agree with the original post that no one has the right to park over two bays causing issues for others, and resorting to bad language is appalling.

I took anon’s post that way too. Anon follows the rules but gets abuse purely because of the vehicle regardless of the blue badge.

Like I said before, my dad has to drive a 4wd vehicle because he needs the height for his arthritic hips and knees. He simply cannot get out of a lower vehicle without falling over and risking serious injury. He has just taken delivery of his first motability car; a Skoda Yeti which is automatic and the seats are fully adjustable so is perfect for him.

I do agree that anyone using any bay should park considerately but that seems to be an indictment on today’s society. I regularly see cars parked sideways in the disabled bays in my local Sainsbury’s. One day when my son was driving and I was in the passenger seat, one man started to reverse out of a disabled bay without even turning his head. If I hadn’t alerted my son, I would have been seriously injured. Luckily Jamie, being young, had quick reactions and managed to swerve out of the way.

It seems there are inconsiderate people everywhere you go these days which is really frustrating for the rest of us who try to live by the ‘old school’ rules. Even worse, there doesn’t seem to be any retribution for these rude people who stick two fingers up to the rest of us … sigh

Tracey x

I have to agree with Anon’s comment that not all disabled people have a blue badge. I have applied for one but because I can ‘put one foot in front of the other and am not ill enough’ have been refused. Some days I can walk without too much trouble but others the motion of walking makes me decidedly ill. I’m applying again but would be grateful for any advice/comments.

Thanks. xx

When filling in any form that asks about the state of your ‘condition’ - always put how you are on your ‘bad’ days. So put that walking makes you decidedly ill.

l don’t understand the post about 4x4’s. l have great difficulty in getting about - and need a car that is automatic - higher off the ground so l can get in and out easily. And room in the back for my scooter/rollator. So l drive a 4x4. Also, l live in a rural area -and need such a tool for getting through fords/ice/snow/mud. Never had any aggro from anyone - not even a ‘funny look’.