Forum

question

a fellow mser,was on a train yesterday going into glasgow ,and she took a fit,took to hospital told it was nothing to do with he ms,she has been living life at a hundred miles aan hour recentlyand she felt unwell,I think it is because she has overdone life,wot do we think

I think there is a link between MS and epilepsy, in that MSers have a slightly increased risk, compared to the general population. However, it’s still not a common complication.

I don’t believe fits would be caused simply by “overdoing things” - in either the well, or those with MS. There has to be some underlying cause.

Speaking personally, I’ve certainly suffered, at times, from having overdone things (and I still don’t learn). But it has never, ever, brought on a fit, so I don’t think it’s something most of us need to worry about.

The hospital could be right that it had nothing to do with MS. Unfortunately, we see time and time again that having one serious medical condition doesn’t protect against others. It would be great (well, still not great, but you know what I mean) if having MS meant we were excused anything else for the rest of our lives, wouldn’t it?

Tina

tina ty for ur reply,ill not tell her that,incase it upsets he more,she is awaiting an appointment at southeren general fit clinic,we will just need to wait and c wot comes out of that

Overdoing things can potentially bring on a seizure - don’t call them fits, that’s very annoying to some people, like me, who have epilepsy. I don’t care what you call them, personally!

You can induce a seizure in most people if you give them enough alcohol, for example. Also a rapid rise in body temperature can induce a seizure. Febrile convulsions are one example of that.

But one seizure doesn’t mean you have epilepsy. Epilepsy is the ongoing tendancy to have epileptic seizures. Most people will have a seizure at some point in their lives. So it could be a one-off. It has to be taken seriously in case it was caused by something nasty, but I most aren’t so don’t panic! A fair number of people have one seizure and no more.

I wouldn’t mention anything to your friend as it’s the kind of thing you need to be told the right information by people who understand epilepsy and seizures. It’s a topic that can scare the life out of you so it’s important that someone puts your situation into context.

ty for ur reply Ellen C :slight_smile: