ms and epilepsy....connection?

My 2 year old daughter spent some days in hospital over new years eve after having bout 5 fits without a temperature…obviously v.traumatic for everyone, ct scan normal, she still has to get mri, lumbar punture and eeg, it has being said that epilepsy has to be ruled out…fine…my mother-in-laws friend knows someone with ms whose daughter had epilepsy as well!..I know this is probably crap but does anyone have knowledge of any connection!!!

Hi, sorry not very helpful but just wanted to say that I am thinking of you, this must be very stressful for you all, sure they will get to the bottom of it. Cheryl:)

That must have been very scary

I hope she’s OK now?

As far as I know there is no direct link between MS and epilepsy, but the rate of epilepsy in people with MS is much higher than in the non-MS population. (I think it’s about 6% versus about 1%, but this is from memory so my numbers may be out a bit.)

Epilepsy can be an early sign of MS, however this is very rare so it’s much much more likely that your daughter has epilepsy on its own.

I hope the medics get everything under control very soon and that this soon becomes a distant memory for you all.

Karen x