Question please

Hi everyone

Lovely day here, hope you all are enjoying the sun, and today is good for you all.

Since MS joined me I have always found having visitors and talking more is so exhausting, but lately I have noticed, after talking a while, when I go to speak, as soon as I start my throat feels tight, and just makes me cough, all very strange.

Does anyone else find this, do you think it is a spasm, or non MS related?

Pam x

is it just being thirsty?

I`m often ribbed for being such a talker.

But the thing folk dont seem to understand is that when my carers/friends are with me, I get my talking done…and I do listen as well…but when theyve gone, Im quiet for a long time, as hubby is a doer, not a talker.

I even play games with myself, like guess that tune…or…say a word that starts with what the first word ended with that has a meaning connection…I tell myself jokes and laff…

I know, I`m dotty, but it passes the time…

anyone else as cracked?

pollx

1 Like

Hi Poll

I don’t think it’s thirst, although I get a dry mouth with the medication, I constantly drink water, in fact I always have a bottle with me, it’s annoying cos I love having a matter.

Hope all is welll for you and your family, my grandchildren are growing up way too fast, I expect yours are as well.

Pam x

1 Like

** should say natter, sorry.

Pam x

Hi Pam,

I wonder if the coughing starts because the nerves at the back of the throat become irritated because your throat’s become a tad dry with all that chatting. It happens to me too. In company I usually have sips of something at frequent intervals. This is easy if folks are having tea or coffee but don’t sip away at too much G & T!

This also happens if something spicy catches too e.g. dry ginger biscuits that haven’t been dunked. So, dunkin’ it is then. This time I will blame MS because I can’t find anything else that might cause this irritation.

Hope this may go away to solving another little irritation!

Anne

2 Likes

Argg I can’t dunk it’s just wrong!

One of my earlies memories is of sitting in a some kind of seat (high hair?) holding and looking at a soggy biscuit I’d been chomping on, I distinctly remember throwing it away and I’m sure I’ve never eaten a soggy biscuit since…sorry for interrupting your thread Pam, I’ll go quietly

2 Likes

Hi Pam… I think you should ask neuro or GP for referral to speech therapist.

I saw one for swallowing problem…and although yours is not swallowing problem, they deal with everything to do with speech, swallowing, choking etc.

I think you might benefit from some exercises to strengthen those neck and throat muscles. I’m only guessing, but I definitely think a speech therapist could help.

I find talking very tiring and my voice is usually croaky, although I don’t experience the tightness that you do.

Hope you can get it sorted soon…get that referral.

Pat xx

3 Likes

PS…the speech therapist came and saw me at home. Hope you can get same! Xx

2 Likes

Thanks Anne, I constantly sip at water, I think it’s amitriptyline that makes if dry, I have already cut down.

I will have a word with GP and see what he thinks.

Pam x

Hi Jan

You are most welcome to join in, and as for dunking biscuits…you don’t realise what you’re missing!! Lol

Pam x

2 Likes

Thanks Pat, I will have a word at my next visit, I am sure my hubby would be saying with all the talking I have done over the years, my throat muscles would be really strong lol. I can just imagine him saying that!!

Hope your doing OK and Dickie is giving you lots of cuddles, take care.

Pam x

2 Likes

Yes, I think it’s the condition. I felt several months ago that my voice had changed, become a bit quavery and hoarse, and slower, as I was making more effort to articulate, frightened of sounding slurred. People say it’s ok, but I know myself it’s not like it used to be. A couple of friends are a bit hard of hearing and having to raise my voice in a coffee shop over music and coffee machine is really tiring for an hour. I take amitriptyline for my hot feet (!) so mebbe that’s something to do with it. Is there no end to these discomforts and inconveniences?? Seems like a new one every week barges into my life!

3 Likes

I had wheelchair people here this afternoon and it knackered me talking and the sheer fact of differently behaviour

Sometimes I have to chew gum to moisten my mouth, a trick suggested by my MS nurse.

Don XXX

3 Likes

I find I can’t laugh anymore, the sound doesn’t come as it used to. When I do laugh it’s just the sound of air rushing past my throat as if my throat is sore making me sound hoarse. Other than the hoarse sound I now mainly have a silent laugh. I’m sure I’m not making myself clear but I can’t find the words to describe what I mean. I also have a dry throat, I take Amitriptilyne and think it dries my mouth.

Jan x

2 Likes

Hi y’all,

Just a wee additional note. I had been on Amatryptaline (last one 4 weeks ago) but still experience the embarrassing coughing fits at any time - eating, drinking, etc. So, maybe just maybe it is the MS and nerve endings being irritated after all. Interesting reading other folks differing experiences with this little irritation!.

The referral to speech therapy sounds a good idea.

Keep on dunking!

Anne XX

2 Likes

I know what you mean Lynda, one thing seems to ease and another appears, it’s like a constant reminder, as if we need one!

Take care

Pam x

1 Like

Hi Don

So annoying that just talking can make us feel as though we have run a marathon, but hey ho, onwards and upwards.

I suck a polo to moisten, oh dear that’s advertising a product!

Pam x

2 Likes

Hi Jan

I feel suree the Ami encourages the dryness, but it does help with nerve pain, it’s like a catch 22.

Take care, and enjoy your biscuit.

Pam x

1 Like

Hi Anne

I think the same, that it is probably a combination of medication and MS, but I will have a word at my next visit.

Take care

Pam x

2 Likes

Hi Janhhh, that’s a bit like my reaction too, though I’m pretty good at a cross between honking and snorting. Luckily, not much to laugh at on the telly - but I do get a bit overcome by The News Quiz on R4 and have to make sure I’ve been to the loo before it starts.

1 Like