Private prescription costs

Hi folks, I need to get some more sativex on a private prescription, so I was having a look online today at the cost. Last time I got it from Dicksons for £412 (including delivery). The cost price is £375. Anyway I found a report about Superdrug from 2010, saying that In future Superdrug would dispense private prescriptions at cost price. I phoned Superdrug (my loal one), the pharmacist didn’t know the cost but said she would phone up and find out so she called me back and they charge, £500+, can’t remember the exact figure now, but why isn’t their price £375? Does anyone use Superdrug for private prescriptions and isthis report correct or have I misunderstood or has that policy changed? Cheryl:)

Hi Cheryl,

Same old problem for you.[the one good thing about living in Kirckaldy]

Is there now way you can get a paper trail of refusials,Doc,Nuro.Pct.

Then go see your Msp,Mp,even papers.

Make a big fuss,use your MS name[upytupy].

If i remember right you only use one or two sprays a day so it is not going to cost the earth for a months supply.

Wish there was more i could do,just dont take no for an answer.

Take Care.

Chris

Sorry Cheryl,forgot to mention i use 12 sprays a day,at a cost of £1500 a month.

So know way i could afford a private script.

Chris.

Hi Chris, tbh when I found out that I could actually get it privately (from emed) I kinda gave up trying to get it on nhs, my husband and I had said that, for years, if I could try it somehow, we would do that so this enabled to do so. Yes Chris there is no way I could afford to take it at the level you take, but it makes me high anyway and I need to drive and work so I am limited to 1 or 2 sprays when I am home from work or not going to be driving. As you say at that level it is not too expensive, about 1 private prescription every 6 months and my husband doesn’t say much about the cost of it! Chris, I’m getting really worried about that football team of yours, they are really not far from the relegation zone, I still have a soft spot for Raith Rovers you know. Cheryl:)

Cheryl,

O you of little fath.

Keep an eye on your own team,they are not safe yet.

It is still a £1000 a year that i am sure you could find a use for.

Still think you should make a fuss.

Take Care,

Chris.

Hi again Chris, lol, Aberdeen picked up a bit but you’re right they’re not safe yet. I could definitely make better use of that money, maybe I will start making a fuss again. Cheryl:)

Chris

I get bored of the people complaining about sativex or the lack of it. NICE have decided that they arnt paying for it right or wrong thats that from my understanding. If you want canabis its a lot cheaper and more available everywhere you look. If you dont smoke it make cakes. I am not trying to be contravercial but if you cant change the system find a way round it. The drug company are going to make hay for as long as they can and so are the chemists, hey thats life its all about profit isnt it ?

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

It is now got its licence in Scotland,but some PCT are not prescribing due to the cost.

So this is the only way that some people can get it.

I dont get bored by people moaning about it,if i was spending £1000 when other people get it for nothing i would moan too.

Take Care.

Chris

[quote=“leinad1968”]

Chris

I get bored of the people complaining about sativex or the lack of it. NICE have decided that they arnt paying for it right or wrong thats that from my understanding. If you want canabis its a lot cheaper and more available everywhere you look. If you dont smoke it make cakes. I am not trying to be contravercial but if you cant change the system find a way round it. The drug company are going to make hay for as long as they can and so are the chemists, hey thats life its all about profit isnt it ?

Daniel

[/quote] Hi DanielI’m not complaining, I agree that that’s just the way it is, I’ve got it, which is what I wanted but many people aren’t so lucky, also it does seem a bit unfair that some get it on nhs and some don’t, I can get it, i’m just trying to get it as cheaply as possible. However, I don’t want to smoke it or make cakes or obtain it illegally, I want the licensed Sativex and that is what I am getting, I just want to pay as little as I can for it! Cheryl:)

ive been looking into this subject myself, boots over 500 quid, online the same, my docs pharmacy 450. so if dicksons are still charging 412 it looks like i will be using them. im a bit short of pharmacies where i live to ask. mind you i havnt yet been given the script to try the stuff so will have to suffer for a bit longer. ay dear, im getting very fed up now! x

Hi Zelda, yes it varies quite a lot, I have a lot of pharmacies near me as I am near th centre of town but can’t find cheaper than Dicksons. I was wondering how you were getting on with yours. Do you see what I mean about Superdrug, in theory it should be the cheapest if they sell at cost but the price they quoted me wasn’t cost. Cheryl:)

[quote=“Upytupy”] Hi Zelda, yes it varies quite a lot, I have a lot of pharmacies near me as I am near th centre of town but can’t find cheaper than Dicksons. I was wondering how you were getting on with yours. Do you see what I mean about Superdrug, in theory it should be the cheapest if they sell at cost but the price they quoted me wasn’t cost. Cheryl:) [/quote] they have probably changed the rules or the cost of getting it transported might be a factor (boots told me if it needed refridgeration during transport and storage that put the cost up). please let me know if you find a cheaper supplier. x

in answer to daniel being sick of people moaning…well, tough. i am going to moan as i was told i could have it on trial but the pct refused to let me. it is wrong. i am not capable of going out and hunting out the real stuff and i sure aint going to send my carer or elderly parents/family out looking for it! my hope is i will stand a better chance of getting sativex on the nhs by getting it privately and proving that it does help me. i get sod all off them and do feel cheated by the whole system when others in the uk are given it on the nhs.

x

Hi Zelda, likewise, you please tell me if you find it cheaper, maybe you are right about the markup for refrigeration/ storage. Dicksons did send it to me by post (with a label saying £10 for postage) so don’t suppose its too bad and I didn’t have to go out to get it, I struggle to go out myself so this was certainly convenient for me. I’m away to reorder soon so will let you know how it goes. Cheryl:-)

You need a ‘friendly’ pharmacist - who is not going to rob you. Before l managed to get a nhs script - my GP gave me a private script and the pharmacy linked to the medical centre got the Sativex for me. lts been licensed for ms use since June 10 - Before then it cost £220 for 4phials. Which do last a long time - 90 sprays per phial. There must be somewhere we can find out the real price. lts produced by GW pharma Ltd. distributed by Bayer Healthcare. Anyone out there who works for - or is a pharmacist!!!

F.

After my last post l thought - something must be done. So l googled gwpharma and l found the email address and l have sent a email putting all the points from the above posts. And the variable costs. l have asked them if they know the cheapest place to get it. l pointed out that thousands of pwms would like the chance to use it if the price was more reasonable.

Will they reply!!

have to wait and see.

F.

Hi Fraces, thanks for emailing them, I never thought of that, it says tattle cost to nhs is £375 so £412 isn’t a huge difference, but it is a difference and it would be better in my pocket. I guess you must have been able to get it before it was licensed, I tried but failed, both nhs and private. My husband and I said that once it was licensed I would surely be able to get it somehow but I failed to get a private prescription via nhs so I tried (and succeeded) with emed. So at least I did get what I wanted. Beside the point I know, but my children walked home with a child minder for a while, just to save me going out and she stayed just beside us so t was convenient and I thought what I paid her was worth it. The child minder has now retired , my son can walk on his own and my mum picks my daughter up ( and does not charge, lol) so I have the saving from that which I spend on the sativex so at least it’s not extra money just a re distribution of money if you like. Cheryl:)