Prescription Charges

Had a first today when i went to collect my presciption of Gabapentin, i take700mg at a time. Got a box of 600’s and a box of 100’s as normal was then asked to pay twice. When i asked why they said one was capsules and one was tablets, i refused saying my prescription was for Gabapentin how they made it up wasn’t my problem,Ended up with a Doctor coming out saying tablet/capsule payment is correct, in the end they gave me 400 and 300 in tablets for one charge. Just wanted to know if anybody else has ever had this problem ?

Hi, yes I think I did have similar problem when I was on gabapentin… I remember the chemist saying it would be cheaper if I went up a bit so I could take one capsule instead of two. Does that make sense? Few years ago so I can’t remember the dosage… But it happens when you are in between dosage made by manufacturer. Pat x

I read somewhere that if you’re permanently disabled, as we are classed, your gp can write a letter to this effect and you won’t have to pay for prescriptions. It might be worth finding out.

Cath xx

Hi, it all depends what benefits you are on. If you are on Income Support you can get then free. Sorry Cath if only it was up to the doctor, but sadly not… But then again not all doctors are sympathetic. Look on the back of a prescription. If you fit into any of those categories you can tick the box and get it free. Pat x

Yes, Cath I agree!

I asked my GP and he said of course and completed the form selecting the “permanent disability” option, my card came thru after about 6 weeks.

I think it’s definitely a case of if you don’k ask, you don’t get! I asked my GP as I was just sorting out everything that PPMS entailed - I don’t have a firm Dx on the PP yet but my walking is not improved at all.

Good luck with it :slight_smile:

Sonia x

In northern Ireland all prescriptions ate free for everyone including the healthy and rich. I don’t know how they afford it. Moyna x

In Wales as well. Move here!

Box ‘E’ on the back of the prescription is for ‘has a valid medical exemption certificate’. The rules for this are here

and it seems that if you have a physical disability and cannot go out unassisted, then you can get the certificate, otherwise not.

This would be simpler than moving to Wales or Scotland :wink:

Chris

Box ‘E’ on the back of the prescription is for ‘has a valid medical exemption certificate’. The rules for this are here

and it seems that if you have a physical disability and cannot go out unassisted, then you can get the certificate, otherwise not.

This would be simpler than moving to Wales or Scotland :wink:

Chris

Thanks for the advice will speak to my GP

Its worth getting an annual card if you spend more than £10 a month on perscriptions, you can either pay up front or monthly for it.

Years ago I had a really lovely GP who asked me one day if I ever went out on my own…when I said no she said well that entitles you to free prescriptions…she sorted it out then and there! What I wouldn’t give to have her as my GP now. Nina

I get free prescriptions because i have been diagnosed with epilepsy. It is worth a try as some conditions entitle you to it.