Forum

Poor Web Site Provider.

I hope the MS Society can get their/our money back from the provider of this web site, because they have be well and truly taken to the cleaners.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

If Gary T is Gary [edited] own up; how about a Wheatsheaf; we have missed you mucker! and Dawnio.

Georgie

Seriously? What exactly do you think is wrong with it? I have no complaints.

I’m sorry you still seem unhappy with the new site Chris but glad you’re managing to use it OK.

I’ve brought your comment to the attention of the web team for you.

Val BSc (Open) Dip Nat Sci (Open)

Val

I think some people just like to complain for the sake of it. Keep up the good work and don’t be disheartened by such comments

Aileen

MA(Hons)

I know I’m having a bad day when the wine’s run out!

Thank you Aileen. I’m not disheartened - the reason why the change was necessary has been explained and everyone else seems to have got used to the new site OK.

Hi Chris,

If your talking about our £5 membership that would not even pay for MS Matters.

George VD and scar

I have complained lots of times about how the website and forum were tested and released. I’ve been working as a software test analyst for many years, and for the last 6-7 years on websites of various types. If we’d tested the forum and released it when existing users couldn’t login we’d have been shouted at at the very least! We would have found the problem before it went ‘live live’ and worked through the night to make sure it was ‘good to go’ before it went. I worked on a major update of a major website, which included a forum. The code was completely different to the original website, which the company I workded for didn’t create. There were problems. People didn’t like the change to the look and feel the site. But every bookmark people created for the old site, worked to take you seamlessley to the correct place on the new site. Users had their data migrated from the old database to the new one too.

The forum users could login as soon as it went live!

I like the changes, and am glad they have happened.

I’ve just clicked the link to learn more about the website provider.

They are a huge company who have created many many website! It would be entirely reasonable to assume they’d do a good job for ‘us’.

I think I should remember that I was told that forums were very difficult things when I was developing and running tests on them!

I can’t see anything wrong with it now It had a ruff start but I for one am liking it I know you’ll never please everyone I thought we’d got over the complaining

Mark

The above comments is exactly what software/web writers, thrive on, people accepting their hit and miss, so called skills.

The sad truth is, apart from costing the MS Society good money, they cost us the tax payers millions every year. Just two examples the NHS system that has never worked, the fire control centre, that has now been abandoned, both down to the failings of so called software engineers.

I rest my case.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor, today is such a day.

Hello Chris I’m just wondering if your dissatisfaction is with the entire web site or just the forum? Bonnie

You do not know, what others contribute.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor, today is such a day.

Yes, I am accepting their skills as this is the service I am provided with and which I am happy to use. And you of course are doing exactly the same thing by using this site.

The site has had its issues but is getting there.

A lot of people have worked very hard/are working very hard to make sure the site is available for us to use, we shouldn’t forget this.

The time has come to stop the moaning and if you don’t like it move on, nobody is making you come on here.

And lets not forget, also being very well paid.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Yes I am using the site/forum, but I am not afraid to voice my opinion.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

[quote=“chris.r”]

The above comments is exactly what software/web writers, thrive on, people accepting their hit and miss, so called skills.

The sad truth is, apart from costing the MS Society good money, they cost us the tax payers millions every year. Just two examples the NHS system that has never worked, the fire control centre, that has now been abandoned, both down to the failings of so called software engineers.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd). [/quote]

Chris

Do tell us what you have against software engineers, and why.

Regardless of the startup problems with the new web-site and forum - most of us are happy with the way it is now.
Neither “the NHS computer system” or “the fire control centre” were screw-ups by software engineers. The problems were with the people who specified the new systems (without having the slightest idea what was involved). I can recall a Civil Servant, who had specified (and signed off the money for) a piece of software that was close to being a world-beater. When a beta version was being demonstrated to him, his exact words were: “That looks great, but can we please have larger buttons on the main menu?” Guess what the rest of the money went on …

Yes, there is a problem with government software projects but if software does not work when it was wrongly specified in the first place - don’t blame the programmers.

Geoff BSc, PhD, Senior Research Fellow (Retd) (and a load of minor stuff) But I still have RRMS!

The thing is Chris, I get the feeling if this forum worked perfectly it would leave you nothing to moan about - then you’d be really fed up! I don’t think I’ve ever read a positive post from you & it does beg the question of why you keep on coming back? I guess it gives you a place to vent your many & various frustrations with the world. It must be being so happy that keeps you going.

Just what is your problem, Chris?

I really don’t think the web team of the MS Soc are that well paid and the mods are certainly volunteers.

Oops forgot to list my qualifications last time BA; MBA plus a few professional ones which I can’t be **sed to list.

Shall we have a competition on qualifications. I know of at least one person who can beat me with a Ph.D; can anyone beat that?