PIP question

I think it would be quite difficult to work out what are good days and bad if you’ve only recently been diagnosed. If you’ve only had a couple of relapses, and have just started on a DMD, you may have no more relapses for years to come. Which would mean writing your form based on your being in mid relapse is wrong.

Just think, you write your form as if or while you are in the middle of a relapse, with no idea how you’ll feel when the relapse has either completely or partially remitted. You are then called for a face to face assessment 2 months later, when the relapse has remitted. You are in a totally different place physically. So it might appear to the assessor that you have at best exaggerated your situation.

It might be better to wait until your relapse is over, if you can figure out when that is, or when you’ve been diagnosed for say 6 months. Unless you’ve already had several relapses and can write your form with confidence that you know roughly how you feel on the average, non relapsing day and can indicate that on the form.

For example: ‘In the past year I have had 3 relapses, each lasting approximately 2 months. During a relapse, I am immensely fatigued. In such relapses, I find it difficult to walk 50 metres without needing a seated rest for quite some time before being able to walk again.’ Or: ‘I have had trouble washing my own hair even when not in a relapse as I can’t bend my head or shut my eyes for fear of falling.’ Or: ‘I have had at least one fall per month even when I’m not relapsing because my balance is so poor.’

So, once you know the pattern of your MS, the deficits you have to live with even when not in a relapse, you just need to make it clear to the assessor what your life is like.

Sue

I applied 2 weeks after diagnosis - I must have had a relapse but had no prior symptoms at all before October last year. Diagnosis was just 5 weeks after I went into hospital with symptoms. It took about 4 months to process but they back dated it to my original phone call date. Hope this helps.