PIP At Retirement ?

I guess this has been asked countless time, so i’m sorry for asking again.

Basically what happens if I’m already on PIP when I reach retirement ?
According to the DWP site my pension age is 67, a few years away but the years are flying by !

I’ve looked online for advice buts it tad confusing.

Currently my PIP is assessed every 3 years .

My understanding, if I’ve read correctly that anyone below pension age who is already on PIP will continue to receive PIP when they reach pension age.
Is that correct, or is there something that the claimant needs to do ?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Hi @jactac
I believe the rules are that you can’t claim PIP once you reach retirement age, but you will be able to stay on PIP if you had already claimed or been receiving it before you reached retirement age… if that makes sense!
They don’t make it easy do they!
:grimacing:

1 Like

PIP ceases when you hit retirement age. After that you get the state pension.

However, you may still be eligible for other benefits. My Mum got a mobility allowance and my Dad was her carer and received an allowance.

Hi @Willow,
Thanks for your reply.
Thats the way I read it, but not everyone seems to see it like that ?

So does it mean then if someone is already on PIP when they reach retirement age they can still claim both parts of PIP, the attendance allowance and the mobility part ?

Hi @GCCK,
Again thanks for your reply.

So you’re saying anyone ALREADY on PIP cannot continue to claim PIP once they reach retirement age ?

I’ve looked at benefits for people over 65 and can’t find any that include a “mobility” allowance ?
Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, it is a minefield after all !

Try looking on here @jactac

It may or may not make it any clearer!

Hi Willow,
Yeah, that’s the site I found earlier which suggests that anyone ALREADY on PIP prior to reaching retirement age can carry on claiming it.

I dont think though it makes it clear if the claimant can claim BOTH parts of PIP, daily living component and the and mobility ?

Basically, if you’re in receipt of PIP on reaching retirement age (possibly at about 80 the way things are going!), you continue to be entitled. That’s for both mobility and care component.

Unless you have ongoing entitlement to PIP for mobility, there is no other mobility related benefit for people of state pension age. As a new claim, it’s Attendance Allowance only and there’s no mobility element to that. On the plus side, Attendance Allowance is much easier to qualify for, so although it’s only got a ‘care’ element, more pensioners qualify for it than working age do for PIP!

Have a look at PIP claim help, plus ESA, DLA & Universal Credit (it’s worth joining if you haven’t previously) or Personal Independence Payment - Citizens Advice

Sue

Hi Sue,
thanks for your reply.
So currently someone hitting retirement age that did not receive PIP prior to retirement would only be able to apply for AA and therefore lose out on mobility entitlement ?

Does the “care” part of AA after retirement make up for loss of the mobility part on PIP.

Hi
I’m in a similar position. Retirement looming.

I get PIP Standard daily living and higher rate for Mobility.
I understood that once you get to retirement age then you’ll just continue and you’ll just get a 10 year award unless things deteriorate.
PIP is like attendance allowance.

I’ll just wait and see.

Jen

Exactly - a person of state retirement age (the arcane rules of which evade my understanding!), who does not receive PIP can only claim AA.

Attendance Allowance is made up of only a care component - mobility plays no part in it. There are two rates for which a person can qualify for AA which are equivalent to the rates of PIP. The lower rate is paid for someone who needs help with personal care in either the day or the night, and the higher rate for help needed for care in the day and the night.

The way I always used to explain this (a bit tongue in cheek) to people I was training, was that the DWP clearly believe that the elderly have no need of mobility!

It’s utterly (in my opinion) unfair that people who claim after retirement age (or who for eg become disabled, ill or otherwise infirm in later life), have no recourse to any financial help with their mobility needs. In particular it seems unfair that they cannot access vehicles from Motability.

Sue

1 Like

I’m shocked & annoyed that after retirement we cannot claim mobility,unless already have it in place from claiming prior to retirement.

God willing I have no intention of becoming even less mobile after retirement.
Perhaps the (removed by moderator) at DWP who make these rules think retirement miraculously brings back mobility ?

Just a minor point but I believe it is the Gov and not the DWP that makes the rules. The DWP just applies the rules set by Gov.

Fair point .

Not entirely sure anyone within the government actually knows the rules for each & every benefit. The Sec of State for Work & Pensions has a big staff (unelected) working on policy. Yes, they brief the government who are ultimately responsible but to say that it’s not the DWP, it’s the government is a bit too simplistic.

The unfair rule about pensioners not getting a mobility element to AA has been the same for a good number of years. Regardless of who bears responsibility, the fact is that it’s not fair nor really defensible.

Sue

i am on PIP at 70. I have been on for a while. my last reward was a few years ago when my husband was alive so must have been 2016 december. I got it for indefinite award enhanced upto 10 years. which would bring me to 75, then i wont be able to claim and have to go for attendance allowance that is if i am still about.

No CC, you’ll still be ok to get PIP. So will retain the mobility component. By then I’m quite sure it will be a light touch review.

Sue

Sue,
Is this because the PIP was awarded prior to CC being pensionable age ?

A lot of things are unfair once people reach retirement age. Not all over 65’s have gold-plated pensions to live on!

If you’ve done the right thing and saved when you worked, you are penalised because many benefits are means-tested and might just tip you over that threshold. If you need to go into a care home, they take your house to pay for it.

The state pension is barely enough to exist on and many benefits cease once you reach retirement age. They must think older people’s health problems suddenly vanish just because they’ve stopped working!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. If you get PIP, either/both components and continue to renew claims (being super careful not to miss deadlines - if for some reason you have to, you should phone the DWP & explain why, get a short extension, making sure you get the persons name!), you’ll retain PIP after state retirement age.

Sue