PIP At Retirement ?

Much of the confusion comes from DLA stuff getting renamed PIP for continuation as Gov shift things around.

A bit of a generalisation but PIP is becoming the Universal Credit for the disabled.

You should make sure if you’re over pension age that you’re not entitled to any Pension Credit. There’s one kind that’s a straightforward means test (Guarantee Credit), and another kind that’s based on your savings and private/occupational pension (Savings Credit). I’ve forgotten the fairly complicated calculation to work out Savings Credit (thankfully - there’s only so much space and I don’t want to waste braincells on that!).

Pension Credit isn’t massively generous, I think when it was introduced, a big song & dance was made about making pensioners who’d saved for retirement better off!

Otherwise, I completely agree - it’s shocking how people who’ve worked hard, saved for retirement and then don’t qualify for more generous benefits are left out. And as for the cost of care!! I’ve just seen my Mother-in-Laws savings depleted by her 6 years in a care home. Unfair isn’t a strong enough word.

Sue

Yeah,
My father in law is in a care home, he had to sell his house to pay towards the care home fees, approximately £3500 per month.
It’s outrageous.

I assume your F-i-L is in receipt of Attendance Allowance? If he’s paying his own care home fees, he should qualify. (£89.60 per week - not much when fees are high, but it helps.)

The only time someone in a care home would lose their AA is if they are funded by Social Services - even temporarily while their home is sold.

Sue

1 Like

Oh i was told i cant get it once this one has finished by the DWP. cool i thought i had to loose it. xx

it doesnt pay to work i am sure of it.

I only have savings because my husband died and i had to sell the house only because i wanted to buy a bungalow but the sale collapsed a day before exhange. I carried on as the buyers still wanted to buy my house. I got a council place so had money in bank. I gave family a lot of it, but still i am slightly over the threshold. I pay for EVERYTHING. I tried pension credit dont qualify.

My rent alone is 500.00 a month with council tax, and water rates. my pension is slightly under a 1,000. if i didnt get PIP i would have to use any savings.

I tried to pension credit or guarantee it said i didnt qualify. I miss it by a few pounds. I have friends who are my age never worked, they pay no rent, nothing, and live quite happy thank you 2 of them smoke and drink. I wish i couldnt afford it lol.

One thing though wow i can claim warm home front grant as i am on what is called a LOW INCOME and get PIP, so my electric bill is paid for in january.

I dont mind paying for things as i can afford to do that. I live fine on my pension and if i didnt get pip i would probably be able to claim. i get so confused with it all. I get a bit of my husbands pension.

I have a tiny private pension its 50.00 a quarter right, and i have to pay tax on it so its about 33.00 a quarter woo hoo so exciting when then comes in every 3 months lol.

1 Like

Hi jactac, yes, you will still get the PIP award. I’ve been getting it since 2000 and went on state pension a few years back.

If you’re over state pension age you apply for AA.
Boudsx

1 Like

@ Sue,
He does get AA but I might be wrong I dont think its that amount though ?
Are there different levels of AA ?

Thanks Bouds :+1:

1 Like

Yes there are two rates:
£60 per week if the claimant needs help and/or supervision during the day or the night, and
£89.60 per week if he needs help in both daytime and the night.

If he’s in a care home because he needs care, it’s quite easy to demonstrate that he qualifies for the higher rate. If you find out what rate he gets and it’s the lower, the Pension Service should be able to help him get a reassessment.

Sue

1 Like

The benefits system really is a bloody minefield.
Is it me or do the “powers to be” make it difficult on purpose ?

I don’t think it was exactly ‘designed’. More that over decades bits got bolted onto existing systems. So in the 1940s the original idea was a basic scheme of insurance against ill health, unemployment and old age. New benefits were added on over the decades and rules changed - eventually tax credits screwed it up even more. Learning the basics about all the benefits takes years. Learning details about just one is difficult, especially if you’ve got no experience.

I have years of experience from my working life plus have had to learn more about ESA & PIP for personal needs. Others are less prepared unfortunately.

Sue

1 Like

@jactac

Exactly so. I think the system is designed to be as complicated as possible in order to put off all but the most dogged and persistent claimants! Even some of the DWP staff don’t understand all the benefits rules and regulations so what chance have the rest of us got.

I tend to agree that the system is set up to be a bit intimidating and awkward.

Many well deserved people are frightened off as soon as they look at the mind boggling paperwork.

Hi, the PIP questions can seem daunting, repetitive and complex.
I had an expert help me fill mine in.

If we are genuinely in need of this and are entitled, we must press on and get what’s our’s.
Boudsx

1 Like

That’s not true - I’m on PIP and now get my State Pension too!