Peculiar new habits since diagnosis

I’m hoping I’m not the only one, only to establish I’m not completely losing the plot.

I think, since I diagnosed but certainly after, I’ve developed daft habits. First one is getting my teeth tap each other without it touching the gum, seriously daft I know. This to the point where I have a tooth guard. It’s not so bad right now.

The other bad habit is where I, for some reason, feel the need to count, whether it’s from something I have said or something I have heard. This used to be just to count, why I don’t know. Now it has to be to 5. I don’t know why. I also have to use my fingers to count it out. This is making my hands a achy. Oh and I get told to stop chewing my tounge. I don’t even realise I’m doing it.

This is doing my head in. Arrgghh!!!

Am I alone here?

I more than ok with my diagnosis that’s the truth.

So what on earth is going on? Why am I doing these things? Am I the only one?

Also every thing annoys me.

Again am I alone here?

Thank you

you’re not the only one!

i type on an imaginary keyboard when watching telly. ??? wtf!

my husband who doesnt have ms, swims in his sleep.

his legs make froggy movements.

so at least we have an excuse!

carole x

Do you think maybe your unconscious mind is trying to impose a bit of structure and order on things with these habits, after MS has barged uninvited into your life and thrown everything into chaos?

Only guessing, but our minds are clever at finding ways of comforting us in distress, and this might just be one of those ways…? There are worse ways to try to deal with things!

Alison

I think Alison is right. People develop OCD when they have a lot of stress in their lives. It is a way of imposing some sort of control when they have no control over what else is happening to them. Teresa xx