Paralysis

Hi all, my name is Bev. I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2018, I now have SPMS. I now have paralysis in my legs and bed bound occasionally going out in my wheelchair.

I was just wondering is there any one out there in the same position and how they manage with their mental health etc.

Many thanks

Bev

1 Like

Hello @coddbev3 My sincere and deepest sympathies to you. I have SPMS but fortunately it’s not affecting me too much. I think that mental health can be a bit of a challenge for all of us with MS. One of the things that has helped me has been to get myself some counselling from time to time - not often but as and when I’m feeling a bit fed up. (My wife has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometrial Cancer which is certainly causing me to feel a little more than fed up. Much much worse for her of course (and in some strange way concern for her keeps me from dwelling too much on having MS).

In addition to counselling something that helps is mindfullness/ meditation. Have a look at the website of Overcoming MS/living well with MS for a good selection of mindfullness/meditation sessions (plus other stuff on diet and exercise, and various webinars).

I also keep my mind busy/ alive with some online ‘Future Learn’ courses. I havent done any for a while now but there are some interesting short courses.

I’m lucky in having a great interest and getting a lot of pleasure from nature- living in a relatively rural area and with an RSPB nature reserve just a few miles away I can happily spend a few hours just watching birds. Or, just sitting in the garden watching the birds eating food that we have put out for them.

I guess that a lot comes down to finding one or a few things that really interest you?