painful hands

Hi does anyone get stiff and painful hands? i have never had this before. i am so lucky as im just back from a fantastic holiday to florida!! i managed all the travelling with asistance and used wheelchair for the parks. the weather was not too hot early 80s but not humid at all, i was so worried about the heat, but i felt amazing all holiday once i got over the flight!! since i got home i have had awful pain in thumbs and hands, stiff and sore. is it to do with cold weather? i feel crap since i got home!!!

anyone???

Hi Moggie,

Pain and stiffness…anywhere…are very common symptoms of MS.

With me, it’s more usually my feet, but my hands are sometimes affected.

I tend to think my stiffness doesn’t like the cold very much, but as most people are reputedly worse in HEAT, I’ve never been quite sure whether I’m imagining things, or whether I’m just an awkward s*d, whose symptoms don’t fit the usual pattern.

Tina

Hi Moggie,

My hands, especially my right, are very often painful. My fingers can be quite stiff and I also drop things sometimes as I can’t always feel them - trying to pick up a single sheet of paper can prove impossible to do. This happens whether it is cold or warm, there is no pattern as is the case with most of my other symptons.

I am still coming to terms (very slowly) with everything, and reading about how MS affects other people helps me realise that I am not alone with all the weird stuff that happens to me. It just confirms that it is indeed very unpredictable.

Vicki

Hi Moggie,

Yes my right hand I can hardly feel and tend to keep dropping things, I can no longer write so somebody else can read it.

It’s all very weird stuff as my left hand is always cold even when it’s hot and it’s painful as well.

Janet x

Hi Moggie x yes mine get painful and stiff too x especially noticeable on the keyboard x but not noticed whether the cold makes any difference. Funny though my body is always boiling hot but my hand that hurts is always freezing cold xxxjenxxx

Yep I can join your club.It tend to be worse when I wake up,as they are always curled up in tight balls when I wake.

I didnt think it really affected daily livivng until I tried transplanting seedlings…fine motor movements appear to be rubbish and I crushed more of the little dears than is kind.So much for trying to be self sufficient now Ive lost my job!!!

As to the heat I am luckily ok with it as long as I build up slowly as the day warms,good excuse to sit out all day.

I noticed on the young people forum someone had asked if it was still ok to go on rides or did it scrabble the brain futher…did you do any,and if so did it affect balance etc?

Pip

pip, i went on a few rides, not rollercoasters and did ok, a bit dizzy at times, but worth it!!!lol one a day best, he he he.

Tina, im with you, i think the cold does not help, hands and feet always cold.

Thankyou all for comments, i know now im not the only one and hope you are all doing ok. x

pip, i went on a few rides, not rollercoasters and did ok, a bit dizzy at times, but worth it!!!lol one a day best, he he he.

Tina, im with you, i think the cold does not help, hands and feet always cold.

Thankyou all for comments, i know now im not the only one and hope you are all doing ok. x

Hi Moggy,

It has been a while since I have been on this site. I have been trying for ages to find out what is wrong with me. my neuro said i didnt have MS and sent me back to my GP without a follow up and since then I have developed swelling in my fingers and ankles and my fingers writs elbows knees and ankles are really sore. My GP thought Rheumatoid arthritis but the markers came back normal. I have found out today that they overlooked my bloods taken a year and a half ago and I have the high end of normal thyroid reading. She thinks I now have hypothyroidism and this could be what is causing my symptoms and making me swell up and get all puffy. I am beyond exhausted, really dry scaly skin with dermographia and my body aches, not to mention the pins and needles and the huge amount of weight gain. I think they missed it because the bloods showed I had a b12 deficiency. Now I dont know if MS causes swelling of hands etc but maybe get your thyroid checked T3 T4 it would not surprise me if someone with MS also had thyroid problems. I have an autoimmune disease ¶ and now it looks like I have another one. it wouldnt do any harm to get it checked out and ask for some blood tests.

I hope it all settles down soon, I know exactly how it feels.

sx

Thanku suz, i have already been tested 3 x for thyroid, always borderline though???