***OPENING CEREMONY 2012 OLYMPICS ***

Well… was it worth waiting for ? Does it make you feel proud to be British ?

The best bit so far, for me, is the Queen jumping out of the Helicopter… but Phillip could of done a tandom jump with her… that would of been impressive !

LET THE GAMES COMMENCE …

I liked Mmr Bean on his keyboard lol

It was directed by Danny Boyle and Not Frankie Boyle as I mistakenly heard before…Would have been interesting though.

Wb

Danny Boyle did good I fink but 27 million/?

George

It was a bit strange in parts but on the whole, pretty good. I loved the GOSH lot, ( presumably the child catcher was the Tories coming to close the hospital down) and the man who gave us the means to do this ,Sir Tim Berniers-Lee, that was a lovely touch having him there.And the music was great. Not quite sure how it cost so much though.

I absolutely loved it. It was gloriously, shamelessly British - funny & creative & moving. I loved the fact that there were so many references that would be lost on an international audience (like having thre Shipping Forecast playing at the start). And I loved that it just try to present the sort of fake image of Britain that a political party would have done - it was surprisingly edgy, with things like having both the Queen (amusingly introduced) and the Sex Pistol’s Anarchy in the UK. And political too - not shying away from the darker side of the Industrial Revolution, or celebrating the NHS (which I couldn’t help but think was a little dig at the American Republican party, and also against the government’s cuts).

Getting a film direcor like Boyle to do it was inspired - his use of imagery and music to tell a story or create meaning was fantastic. And there were so many nice touches, like the stadium builders lining the tunnel when the torch came into the stadium, and then obviously the symbolism of the lighting of the cauldron. And, living in Sheffield, it was nice to see the Arctic Monkeys do their bit. The only sour note for me was Paul McCartney’s bit.

There’s someone who I have my Tysabri with who was there - her ticket cost £1,000, so must have been some good seats, I’m looking forward to hearing about it from her.

Feeling very proud (and amused).

i really enjoyed it. was a shame to see Ali like that but a great gesture to ask him to be there.

only downside to me was the end when mccartney was on.

all in all though a big sucsess

I really loved it. I think Boyle did a great job in giving us a show about Britain for the British… he didn’t care if the rest of the world ‘got it’. Great to see the working-class in industrial revolution, the NHS honoured, the West Indian immigrants arriving, and all the music from Elgar to the Sex Pistols.

Great show! I was kind of dreading it thinking it might be toe-curlingly embarrassing… couldn’t have been more wrong.

Pat x

A bit of expensive fluff, but worth it for the child catcher being exposed as an Old Etonian.

I have to admit that I am usually quite cynical concerning these opening cermonies - but that was fantastic. I was very pleased with the clip of ‘Kes’! And the Queen having to listen to the Sex Pistols! No wonder she looked miserable!

l have never enjoyed the opening ceremonies - and the closing ones. But didn’t we do well - Danny Boyle should get a knighthood - l don’t care how much it cost- it was brilliant. Hope they bring out the dvd - this is something l could watch over and over as there was so much you could easily miss. And so many of them were volounteers putting in hours of training.

I too loved it, my son was glued to the screen. I didnt like the nightmare senario, yes I agree it may be all of us in the future, perhaps a prediction of what is going to happen to the nhs?

Liked the history part, when we were a great industrial nation, as it was when I was a child still. Shame all our large industries have shut down or been bought out by wealthy nations abroad.

I couldnt make out why loads of teenagers texting? Is that what we now represent, a load of kids with nothing else to do but text?

All in all, well worth watching. Do I feel great to be British - well used to, now, Im not so sure. Notice Cameron wasnt sure of his role either.

bren

x

[quote=he_funk]

I absolutely loved it. It was gloriously, shamelessly British - funny & creative & moving. I loved the fact that there were so many references that would be lost on an international audience (like having thre Shipping Forecast playing at the start). And I loved that it just try to present the sort of fake image of Britain that a political party would have done - it was surprisingly edgy, with things like having both the Queen (amusingly introduced) and the Sex Pistol’s Anarchy in the UK. And political too - not shying away from the darker side of the Industrial Revolution, or celebrating the NHS (which I couldn’t help but think was a little dig at the American Republican party, and also against the government’s cuts).

Getting a film direcor like Boyle to do it was inspired - his use of imagery and music to tell a story or create meaning was fantastic. And there were so many nice touches, like the stadium builders lining the tunnel when the torch came into the stadium, and then obviously the symbolism of the lighting of the cauldron. And, living in Sheffield, it was nice to see the Arctic Monkeys do their bit. The only sour note for me was Paul McCartney’s bit.

There’s someone who I have my Tysabri with who was there - her ticket cost £1,000, so must have been some good seats, I’m looking forward to hearing about it from her.

Feeling very proud (and amused).

[quote=he_funk]

Thank you he_funk for putting yesterday’s ceremony into words… ((including referring to the Queen jumping from the plane, was not really her was it…? :), and kindly but carefully telling/ asking PmcC to finally throw in the towel…)).

I have always loved British humor!, ‘Are You Being served’, ‘Allo Allo’, ‘Keeping Up Appearances’ and ‘Dad’s Army’ and of course ‘Mr Bean’ used to be my favourite programmes while growing up in Holland!

Yes, a brilliant performance also taking into account the number of people involved! (and thank God that rain was not a ‘killjoy’! -is this the right word?-)

The GB team walking into David Bowies Heroes was fantastic, as the words say “we can be heroes just for one day” Brilliant

John

Sorry josfromglos are you saying it was not the Queen jumping out of the aircraft? Shucks thought it really was; destroyed my image now. Just left with her never smiling and looking for a cracked nail when the UK Team came in.

She’s getting too old poor luv; abdicate; second thoughts Charles will be ten times worse. Everyone abdicate so William is King at least then we will have a beautiful Queen.

George

Yes, I didn’t think we could do it but Danny Boyle was brilliant, incorporated everything about this country. Thank goodness someone had the imagination to choose him for the job.

By the way Trainspotting was on last night. I did record it but really, that was a film that you only need to see once! So won’t be watching it.

Wendyxx

Hi, lots of comments here, but mostly pro rather than against. I like ggood`s reply. Yes, Wills and Catherine will make fantastic monarchs. Bring it on.

I watched the ceremony with my sis and we were both flagging, but couldnt switch off until wed seen Team GB.

I loved the speedboat and DB.

Yes the parachute jump was a great giggle.

Yeh, it did cost an arm and a leg, but the special effects etc wouldnt have been cheap. Lets hope our guys and gals win a few golds, eh?

luv POllx

For me there’s only one thing to say I’M PROUD TO BE BRITISH. We have so much heritage, shame other countries don’t!!

Janet

x

I absolutely loved it! I’m so proud of us!

I’m not a sentimental person. I never cry, but I had a lump in my throat and wet eyes several times.

I thought it was utterly fantastic and it made me really proud to be British! Danny Boyle is a genius. Teresa xx