Forum

ON question, pamper me!

Hi all,

at risk of sounding like a hypochondriac I'm just wondering if there is a lead up to ON? I'm having a recurring slight pain behind my eyes and when I'm tired or using my laptop they do a little wobbly every now and then: they seem to flick side to side very quickly and briefly. I've def had this wobble occasionally before when I'm very tired but it's been happening a lot the last few days. Sight-wise black print is not uniformly black but has slightly greyer patches in some areas. Nothing is obviously awful, it is all quite subtle, I'm just not sure what's normal or not, what's just aging or what might be another neuro symptom. My eyes were checked in January and I have new glasses so it's not that. Any advice/sharing of experience will be very much appreciated.

I'm undiagnosed and am having Evoked Potentials and EEG on Wednesday. 

Thank you,

Deb x

If your eyes are actually moving, then it's nystagmus. I don't think ON can cause it.

Pain behind your eyes when you're on the laptop too long could just be eye strain. It could also be a type of migraine. If it was ON, I think the pain would be less exclusively when you / your eyes are tired.

The change in contrast of black font I'm not too sure about though. Probably could be various causes including ON.

Best thing to do is to see your GP and ask to see an ophthalmologist. They're the experts!

I hope it proves to be nothing serious :-)

Karen x

Hi When I had ON it began on the friday with a painful eye. Painful to touch and painful to move my eye from side to side, up and down. My vision felt 'odd' on the saturday/sunday. On monday I could only focus on a word at a time. By now the pain had gone. By tuesday pm I could not see at all, just some peripheral vision. - I leterally couldnt see a hand in front of my face. I then had IV steriods for a week.  Hope that helps

Sue

Hi When I had ON it began on the friday with a painful eye. Painful to touch and painful to move my eye from side to side, up and down. My vision felt 'odd' on the saturday/sunday. On monday I could only focus on a word at a time. By now the pain had gone. By tuesday pm I could not see at all, just some peripheral vision. - I leterally couldnt see a hand in front of my face. I then had IV steriods for a week.  Hope that helps

Sue

Sue

Hi I have On in left eye and also now right. I noticed my vision when reading a text and it wasnt all black..but black, grey patchy in areas.  I too dont think ON causes nystagmus..my initial On was quite subltle too plus colour fading or wasjhed out n left eye.also rappid eye movement for me started a week after ON in left eye and two weeks later in the right..although I didnt have ON in right eye at this point..

As Karen says could be tiredness from PC work..but best get your gp to refer you to an opthalmist dr..esp regarding the  dark text not being uniform in appearance could be a number of causes..including ON..best get it checked though..

Good Grief, don't know why my post appeared so many times! Also, the colour red was very pale, and still is 5 months on.

Sue

Here goes this doesn't appear lots of times!

Hi Suzanne..from what I can understand colour vision may take longer to recover with On although visual acuity is usually first to improve..most people get their full colour vision back and a few find its not quite the same as it was before oN..

Hi, thanks all - it's still continuing, a bit worse but only a bit. It starts in the car driving home from work then is most noticeable when I get indoors and onto my laptop - but this is immediately I go on and continues all evening whatever I do so eye strain isn't the cause but tiredness probably is.

Suzanne, your slow worsening over some days is interesting (3 times the same thing, unbelievable, tehe! tounge), that's what I wanted to know really, if it can be gradual or always becomes obvious over a matter of hours. I don't think colours are particularly faded so think I'm fine. 

Makes you wonder about everything this MS or MS type stuff doesn't it! I've become so aware of my body where I never ever was at all. My jerks and fatigue are lessening but over the last week buzzy jumping and stiffness and crampy pain in legs has started and is getting slowly worse.

We're all living with the unknown!

Hope you've had a good day at whatever % of normal you're functioning on happyflower !!

Dx