No diagnosis but Is it too late to get illness insurance?

Hi…

Im looking at life/illness insurances and getting very confused!!

In february my husband and I got approved for our first mortgage… while the purchase was going though we moved in with family…on the day we were moving I was taken ill and admitted to hospital (the right hand side of my body was numb and partially paralyzed) I had scans and fortunately things like brain tumours were ruled out PHEW. Over the 2 months it took for our mortgage to go through I got better and on the 1st of May we moved into our new house!!! Ive been having test after test, they think its MS but still no diagnosis and im just getting passed around different hospital departments!!
My husband has life and critical illness cover but im worried if I do have something like MS that as I get older I may not be able to work as much so he would be under alot of pressure.
If I applied for insurance now and then in say 6 months they decided it is MS would I get a payout? Or would it be classed as an pre existing condition?? would I even get cover at all because of the ongoing tests???

Help please!!!

Hi,

I would be interested in the answer to your question myself. I have had one confirmed lesion myself, but have not officially been diagnosed and am also concerned about paying my morgage in the future if ms is confirmed.

x

Hi,

I would be interested in the answer to your question myself. I have had one confirmed lesion myself, but have not officially been diagnosed and am also concerned about paying my morgage in the future if ms is confirmed.

x

Hi Lollipop

As far as I know they would want to look into what’s happened and it would class as a previous medical condition. I know when I was looking at insurance I would have had to be clear of any neuro symptoms ( at least none documented at the Gp/ neuro etc) for 2 years and not having had an appointment with the neuro gp about it for 2 years.

I only briefly looked into it though so I could be wrong.

Reemz

X

I don’t believe you will be granted critical illness cover for ANY condition that is already so much as hinted at - let alone suspected. If you did somehow manage to get cover - most likely by keeping quiet - you’d probably be wasting your premiums anyway, as if you were diagnosed six months (or even six years!) down the line, they’d want access to your full medical records, and would discover it was already suspected, even before you purchased the policy. That would be enough to invalidate your cover. Sorry, but there’s no point wasting money on insurance that won’t pay out if you’re diagnosed anyway. It is already too late. Tina

I was refused critical illness cover completely due to having had optic neuritis - I wasn’t at that stage diagnosed, nothing else had been flagged up as being possible ms (and it took another ten years or so for diagnosis), but they wouldn’t touch me.

Shame, as it would be nice to be mortgage free but not to be!

Hi, I’ve just been paid out my critical illness cover but it was no easy ride. The claim form asked if I had ever suffered from symptoms relating to my diagnosis previuosly. They requested all my records from my neuro and all gp records so they can see if you have had anything remotely related. I think you might be hard pushed to even get the cover as you would have to disclose a suspected case of having ms plus your hospital visit. Fingers crossed for you x

I’m afraid you have almost certainly missed the boat on critical illness cover. It is worth checking with your Financial Advisor, but usually you cannot get cover for critical illness if it looks as though you might have a qualifying condition already. Are you in an occupational pension scheme? If so, the ill-health provisions in the Scheme will sometimes do duty as critical illness cover for people like you (and me) who left it too late to take out a personal policy. With luck, all of this is academic, and whatever is the matter with you will not disrupt your life plans. Good luck. Alison