Hello, I am new here.
Long time with MS. I’m wondering if there is anyone as old me here.at 69 I am finding lots of younger people out there ( I love younger people by the way) but would love to hear from oldies and how you have coped etc I don’t know if it’s a myth but someone once said that when you reach late 50’s MS slows down. Anyone else heard this. I’m SPMS and have a sister with same.
Thanks for reading

Holly.

I’m 69 too but have PPMS. I think you’ll find there are a few of us ‘oldies’ on here.

Hi Holly, im 45, i also have spms, i havent heard ms slows down in late 50s, but i would love this to be true! did you find this? i was only diagnosed last year but symptoms seem to be progressing quite fast at the mo.

Hope you are keeping well, stay safe, Ali

Hello Newbie I am 71 and was diagnosed with ms in my early 50s. My ms has deteriorated at a slow pace since then but can still get around the house with a frame.

Hi Holly. Welcome aboard. Never heard of any slow down of symptoms with age. I was diagnosed suddenly, in a weekend actually!, aged fifty five and I have just turned 61. I have ppms and already wheelchair dependant. Hopefully you will stick around. We’re a very mixed motley crew.

Hello Ladies, thank you for replying. I feel very welcomed and in the right place. To answer your question re the slowing down and age related. This has been said a few times on another ms forum. For me that is not the case but still fighting as best as I can. Even with SPMS there seems to be relapses and I am going through one right now. I hope you ladies are feeling as good as is possible right now. I hope to be on the forum asking and replying to questions. Only we Msers know how we each could possibly feel and relation to symptoms. I have a sibling with MS but unfortunately she doesn’t like to talk about it… best wishes Linda

Hi Holly/Linda

I was diagnosed with RRMS the week before my 50th birthday - ptth I have had some presents that weren’t to my taste but this one took the biscuit.

I had a relapse about 6 weeks ago.

Actually I go shopping for food within 100 yards of where I live.

I cook the evening meal from scratch every day.

I’m weary tired and love my bed.

Too much perhaps as I have pressure sores on my heels.

I have developed some new and creative swear words which keep me amused.

I don’t swear at people but at objects eg cutlery which jumps out of thr drying rack meaning that I have to bend down (difficult).

Carole x

Hi Carole, agree that was not a welcome prezzie. How long ago? Well done you for shopping and cooking. I admire you for this as it’s something I don’t do a lot of but I do try. I too have certain words which are used in connection with MS. I try to make the most of things though. Currently I am suffering from internal tremors on top of all the other horrors. Whoever said " we are given in life what we can handle" I say try MS then think again. HolLin x

HI Holly/Linda,

Sorry about your diagnosis but glad you found us.

I have SPMS . Symptoms since 1989, diagnosed 1998. Just worked out that it’s over half my life. ugh. I’ve just turned 60.

Very slow progression. Everyone has a different group of symptoms.

My top tip, keep a diary of symptoms, appointments, any aids you buy etc

Can be very useful if you’re applying for help.

Take care

Jen

Hi I’m new, diagnosed rrms about 18 months ago, think I got lost in self pity and have managed to push my partner away, lack of intimacy… just putting it out there I need to be more open anyone else experienced similar?

Hi, I a 68 and have had Spinal PPMS for 23 years.

I lost all mobility within 2 years of onset.

Carole…re your heels…I too have nerve pain in my heels when they touch the bedding/mattress. I have to keep them on pillows and off the bed. Pressure sores scare the chuff out of me!

Boudsx