New and confused

Hi, I’m new to this forum and not sure if I should even be here. About three months ago I started really dizzy and faint in my spinning class. It was hot and made me feel bad enough to drop back from the rest of the class and speak to the instructor at the end. The next day I noticed pins and needles in my hands intermittently but mostly when I walked. I thought I’d just overdone it a bit the day before and didn’t think too much of it but a few days later my lower back started to hurt and by the end of the day I couldn’t walk with the pain. This was accompanied by dizzy spells and nausea. The next day I fainted when I was making breakfast. I went to see an osteopath who said herniated disk and my gp prescribed strong painkillers which I stopped taking as they weren’t helping. The pain gradually subsided but my body was very twisted and I started getting pins and needles in my legs and saddle. I’ve has restless legs for ages, but that has become much more of an issue too. I was referred to an orthopedic consultant, who tested my reflexes and mobility. I had a positive finger flick test (can’t remember the name) in my left hand (my worst side) and and was referred for a full spine mri. At this stage I was told it was probably nothing but it was a precaution. Since then my husband, mum and best friend ave all noticed my hands shaking, I have regular twitching in my legs and arms. Some days I feel fine and like I’m skiving off work, others I’m floored by tiredness and nausea. Not one doctor has mentioned MS to me and when asked my GP he said it isn’t following a relapse/remit pattern and is probably irritable nerve roots from my ack roblem. My back feels fully healed now but I’m still twitching, tired and nauseous. Am I being paranoid thinking it isn’t looking good? I go back to the consultant on Tuesday but I’m hugely stressed. Everyone seems to be downplaying what feels like a big problem to me. I Haven’t worked for three months.

Hi Cakey, I can relate to some of that. I don’t think you’re being paranoid at all. Do you keep a symptom diary? Could you write a summary of your symptoms - when they began, do they persist or come and go? - to show your consultant. I’ll be seeing my 2nd neuro next week and I’m making sure I’m prepared to present new information and ask the questions that are most pressing. Good luck with your appointment, you have a right to know what is going on with your body and these medics are here to help us, though remember they need our help to be able to do that well!

Thanks for replying RB. I don’t keep a diary but I’ve just spent an hour writing down my full history and symptoms. Aside from what’s been going on lately I’ve realised an episode with my leg five years ago could also be significant. I also realised that both times came when I was under massive stress in my life. I wouldn’t have made that connection if you hadn’t suggested it so your advice is much appreciated.