Neurology appointment - what to expect?

Hi everyone

I’m new to this forum, and would be really grateful for any advice.

I have been ill for many years with many different symtpoms, and currently have diagnoses for ME and Fibromyalgia. However, since taking a massive turn for the worse since November I am becoming increasingly concerned that many of my symptoms fit with those of MS. I have recently had a brain MRI that showed “multiple small white matter lesions”, and am awaiting an appointment with Neurologist.

I was just wondering if those of you who have already seen a Neurologist could give me any idea as to what to expect at this appointment. Will they do any further tests there and then? What do the usual Neurological tests that everyone speaks of actually entail?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m sorry to hear you’ve been so unwell. I have only very recently been diagnosed (firstly 2 months go at a stroke clinic, but officially last Tuesday by my neuro) It depends on how many ‘relapses’ you’ve had, and a positive mri, they my want to send you for further tests suh as visually evoked potentials or a lumbar puncture! I was too I’d bed a lumbar puncture by the consultant at the stroke clinic by my neuro didn’t do one as said he only does that when he has doubt whether it could be ms, but he was positive. I hope you get answers soon.

Hi The usual neuro tests you get at the first appointment are reflexes, looking in your eyes, gait, balance including with eyes shut, and things like that - none of it hurts and whether or not they find anything from those tests they will probably refer you for other tests - EMG, bloods, MRI, lp, veps, or whatever depending on your symptoms. I’d also like to point out that not all neuros are mean, dismissive or impatient - mine was quite lovely! And the tests have been pretty quick and the follow up efficient. Fingers crossed for yours. C x

[quote=“Clare-”] Hi The usual neuro tests you get at the first appointment are reflexes, looking in your eyes, gait, balance including with eyes shut, and things like that - none of it hurts and whether or not they find anything from those tests they will probably refer you for other tests - EMG, bloods, MRI, lp, veps, or whatever depending on your symptoms. I’d also like to point out that not all neuros are mean, dismissive or impatient - mine was quite lovely! And the tests have been pretty quick and the follow up efficient. Fingers crossed for yours. C x [/quote] I’ll second that, my neuro was really nice! Did the usual strength tests and what not, they should also advise you where to go from here, mine explained the medications we’d be looking at and gave me info packs on two to Leo me go away and decide while I wait for contact from an ms nurse. It’s always going to be nerve racking waiting, but hopefully you can get some answers to some troubling questions with why you have been feeling so poorly! I hope it all goes ok. (: