Neuro physio again on Wednesday

Hi gang, hope you’re all doing ok. I had a neuro physo visit me on Friday & she’s coming again Wednesday with more info and print-outs of the exercises. A few of the exercises are: Stand facing and close to a door or a wall (so close that your nose is almost touching). With your hands ‘walk’ up the door as high as you can go so your whole body stretches. Then walk back down the door. If you lose balance you can use door for support. When standing (if you can stand) doing dishes or whatever, try to squeeze the cheeks of your bum in, hold, and release. Apparently that can improve balance. If hands are a problem, use a shoelace or bit of string & tie knots & then untie them. Can do it while watching telly or whatever. Will help keep fingers flexible. On bed or recliner, turn feet in circles & and up and down. Try and lift feet a few inches into air (if you can) hold & relax. Those are the ones I remember. Sound very easy but in fact are quite challenging and tiring… but she said if you can only do them a little bit a day it will make a difference. Very grey in London… and July tomorrow!!! Lots of love, Pat xx

That’s interesting info Pat, thanks, will try. When I am sat anywhere I am used to trying to rotate ankles etc, as was told this once when in hospital. Apparently it helps with blood flow, so as to prevent clots, but I was intrigued with squeezing bum cheeks to help with balance, you wouldn’t think that, but will try that.

For a while now I have noticed when I try to weight bear my heels are really painful and little shocks go through them, so much so that if I wasn’t hanging on to something, I am sure I would go down. Not sure if this is is related, or just something else, might ring the nurse if it carries on much longer.

Grey and muggy here, no rain though. Hope you are OK.

Pam x

Thanks Pat. I’m seeing Neuro physio on Wednesday, will be my first visit since dx. I have a lot of faith in them as it was a general physio who realised there was something neurologically wrong with my body when everyone else kept telling me I’d slipped a disc in my lower back. She got me referred to a spinal unit and they sorted me out after months and months of being made to feel like a hypochondriac. I still try to do the exercises she gave me to strengthen my core muscles. I’ll have a go at those too. I’m determined to stay mobile for as long as possible.

It’s scorching in the Lakes, loving it. Take care.

Cath xx

Hi ladies, thanks for the tips, I’ve been catching up on your posts, no charger for my pad, my son has borrowed me his pad & charger until I can get a new one. My O.T brought me a tub of play dough to strengthen my hands and fingers roll it out with the heel of one hand into a sausage then working with thumb start with index finger and pinch dough together moving onto your next fingers and back again amazing how much effort it takes. Pauline xx

I saw a neuro physio for a few sessions last year. I would have carried on for longer if they had come to me instead of me having to make the trek to them. He was concentrating on my legs at the time. I try and do just one of the exercises every day. Whilst it can’t help the correct messages to get through it has definitely helped me in terms of getting out of the chair and stuff of that nature. I don’t feel I need to do them all every day…just enough to maintain my leg muscles Hope everyone is as ok as possible. Nina x

Sounds good Pat, the clenching bum cheeks made me giggle - as part of my old life, I taught girls how to twerk! Nowadays, my right buttock, sometimes listens and somtimes ignores… so i sounds like I should persevere with that one!!!

I read one of those instructions a bit backwards (like you do!) and thought the foot circles was from standing… I really panicked… then I read the sentence properly. It sounds like a good exercise

Sonia x

Hi Pat, i loved seeing my neuro physio, ive had more help from her than anyone…she taught me some pilates excercises that help me balance, and also how to strengthen my core too,

i really feel a beneift form all the excercises she showed me ,they do know there stuff these neuro physios,dont they ?

i loved going to see her i had a course of them, and when it came to an end i missed going as she was easy to get on with an you could have a laugh with her too.

J x

[quote=“Ninagrace7”] I saw a neuro physio for a few sessions last year. I would have carried on for longer if they had come to me instead of me having to make the trek to them. He was concentrating on my legs at the time. I try and do just one of the exercises every day. Whilst it can’t help the correct messages to get through it has definitely helped me in terms of getting out of the chair and stuff of that nature. I don’t feel I need to do them all every day…just enough to maintain my leg muscles Hope everyone is as ok as possible. Nina x [/quote] Pretty much the same here. My upper body is fine so far, so it’s just concentrating on keeping muscle tone in the legs and core muscles. My physio came to the house 3 or 4 times then said that there was little more she could do, I knew the exercises and must keep doing them. Like you, I do one or two a day but miss days if I’m not so good. I often do them on the bed before I get up, but then sometimes find that wipes me out for the morning or more. Ruth is very good at helping me and not nagging me to do them, but reminding me and encouraging me.