Physio

Hi everyone, I went to see a physio last week.I was so shocked to see how bad my ms was affecting me.I did balance test and kept falling.I was told that my left side is very weak after numerous test.That my ankles are very stiff I don’t know why,that my walking is affected.It was a bit of a shock as the things the physio gets you doing you don’t really do for example standing on one leg with your eyes closed.Has anyone experienced this happening to them. Thanks

Yes. Quite recently. Suddenly it becomes clear how filtered word things are. All the things I usually find workarounds for, or otherwise manage to disguise from casual observers are suddenly exposed to the physio’s pitiless gaze! Horrible, isn’t it? Alison

Hi

Physio should really be able to help though - whenever I have it, my balance & walking always improve. One of my physios said she could tell the difference between the people who do their exercises at home and those who don’t, as the ones that do always see the bigger improvements.

Hope it goes well.

Dan

i’ve asked to be referred back to physio.

the first time was soon after dx and i did my exercises at home.

i still remember one called “the clam”. although it was an easy one if u dont have ms i really struggled with it.

my physio emphasised the importance of keeping my legs in alignment but i lost the ability. i have no idea where my legs are.

i need a mirrored ceiling (kinky eh?)

carole x

I just wanted to send some reassurance - remember you’re no worse than when you went into the physio, it’s just clearer what is wrong. That means that you can do exercises tailored to your particular problems and of course you can still do your work arounds. I hope your physio has provided exercises and you can find the motivation to do them regularly.

[quote=“Sewingchick”]

I just wanted to send some reassurance - remember you’re no worse than when you went into the physio, it’s just clearer what is wrong. That means that you can do exercises tailored to your particular problems and of course you can still do your work arounds. I hope your physio has provided exercises and you can find the motivation to do them regularly.

[/quote] So true, so true. But when one has been paddling along happily in that big river in Egypt as I do most of the time, it is always a shock to be faced with the truth! Not very rational, but there you go. Just one of MS’s nasty little booby-traps to be dealt with before (as you say) getting stuck into the positive bit… I think one would need to Mrs Über-rational not to suffer a wee twinge when one’s neurological filtered word-ups are under the spotlight! Alison

Completely agree, Alison! I dread even a routine neuro exam, because I don’t want to know where I am on the flippin’ EDSS scale!

I hate being made to do stuff I will obviously fail (but which I don’t need in real life anyway - such as balancing with my eyes shut). I feel I’m managing quite well, thank you very much, and as long as I feel that way, I don’t really want anyone measuring exactly how crap I am.

T.

x

Hello, I understand completely and I was hit hard on my last visit as she said it was clear I was struggling and cut the session short. She then told me to only do the exercises when I have no other activity planned. I was okay, my Physio is lovely but she may as well of punched me in the face. I’m not in a relapse but my fatigue and body heaviness is taking the p*** and having it seen so easily by a Physio hurts emotionally because you spend effort trying to get on with things everyday. To end on a positive, I’m very grateful to have it and it does help, I hope it does for you too :slight_smile: Sam x

The big thing to remember about physio is that you can lose muscle function quite quickly - but it can take ages to get it back.

Yes, I am still doing the exercises I was given a year ago. Do they make a difference to my stability? YES. The big difference is that while I still have balance problems, I can sometimes recover, and the rest of the time I can usually choose which way I am going to fall. That can mean that I go in a direction where there is something to catch me, so I don’t go right down (did not work the last time).

The other thing about physio is that to get it on the NHS means waiting a long long time. Sure, some areas are quicker than others, but I was referred by my neurologist after I saw him in January. I am still waiting for the appointment to come through.
In February, one of the people at Odstock identified a problem with one hip (I was there for a FES checkup) and wrote to my GP asking for me to be referred for physio. I am still waiting for that appointment as well.

I know that my GP wrote the letter, because there were two referrals requested - he told me that he would do them - the second referral came through - I am getting the second visit for that one in two weeks.

In my area, all normal referrals go through a third part contractor. A wonderful private organization that is set up as a “one stop shop” so that GPs and Consultants can send all their referrals to one place and have someone else deal with them. This is supposed to keep things simple. I see my neuro again in a fortnight and I just hope he asks me how the physio went. He should ask, because some of the factors affecting my stability have got visibly worse (and I may still have the scar on my had to show him).

I was referred for physio on 18th June and so far have had a letter from the Physio Team to say there is a long waiting list and they will contact me again when I reach the top.

I have an appointment with my neuro on 16th August and I think he was hoping I would have had some physio by then so he can assess the residual damage from my relapse in March. He’s hoping!

Tracey