Neuro appt update

Hi,

Well I saw the neuro yesterday. MRI clear, LP negative, blood tests clear. I really am pleased. The trouble is my face is still numb, got an awful metallic taste, tongue is intermitttantly numb/pins and needles, tingling across my head, ringing in my ears, little fingers numb and both legs tingle!

I’m going to have a CT scan chest and abdomin but he expects this to be clear. Which again would be good. He said I may be part of the 25% he sees who are undiagnosed - not so good. He assured me he believed me - I had ON last October which effectively blinded me, and he never mentioned funtional etc.

My husband asked about the quality and the scan/machine etc and he was fairly dismissive of this. He said he was the medic and we weren’t. A bit rich considering my husband used to be a research scientist but we let that one go!

I feel he is a good neuro, but doesnt like questions! He said he’d see me in 12 months and sooner if my GP felt I needed it. I think this is pretty good really and I can’t complain. Better than most I think.

So the plan, get on with life and see what happens. Maybe the ON was a one off attack and the other symtoms will fade with time. Or maybe it will get worse and I’ll get on the merry go round again!!

Thanks for all the support I’ve been given, esp Karen.

Sue

Ps Karen - the machine was a 1.8. He declared it to be the best known to man and was infallable!

1.8? Well, unless they have a scanner with a unique strength, I think that he didn’t like the MRI questions your husband asked because he didn’t know the answers! Dismissive arrogance is a bit of a giveaway too…

(To be fair, scanners aren’t precisely 1.5T or 3T, but no one uses the exact strengths.)

Sorry that you didn’t get any answers about what’s going on. It’s good that he’s still looking though and hasn’t discharged you. I’m sure he knows more about neurology than he does about MRI!

Karen x

Thanks Karen and Kathie,

I’m happy to get on with things and to live with the tinglng and numbness. It isnt bad enough to stop me from doing things. But in my heart of hearts I think I’ll be doing this all again in a year or two. At least I’ll know what to expect!

Cheers

Sue

heya…sorry your appt was a bit of a flop…maybe keep a diary of any present and fuure eymptoms as and when…so you can update the neuro…and in the meantime if things get worse for you,see your gp also… which i hope they dont, you can always see if neuro will see you sooner…Can gp give you any meds in meantime…as your symptoms still need treating…I have only had metallic taste in my mouth recently…followed by copious amounts of saliva…yuk! Sounds like your neuro is effectively putting you in that 25% category.?.and hes keeping you on his list…but the main thing is he like you is keeping an open mind on the situation…which is no bad thing at this stage…