Name calling and verbal abuse

I don’t even know how to start writing this. Is it normal/common for people with MS to be verbally abusive and name call etc?

Tonight, for the first time my partner called me something during an argument that I honestly don’t think I’ll ever recover from. The pure spitefulness behind it has crushed me and I don’t think I can do this anymore :frowning:

It started because he has been really irritable all day and lost his temper with our daughter and really upset her and I called him out for it and he didn’t like it. He has such a short fuse and gets angry over absolutely nothing, sometimes physically lashing out and hitting doors/walls etc

I’m guessing this is the MS? But what can we do about it? Or is this our life now? I will NOT allow my children to be treated like that by him, ill or not and I will not allow it for myself either.

I am ready to walk away. I don’t know who this person is anymore but he isn’t the man I fell in love with and I don’t want a lifetime of this.

If anyone has to deal with this, how do you cope? Is there anything that can be done to help or is this just going to get worse?

This sounds horrible. I can understand feelings of anger and rage. The frustrations and loss can feel huge. My wife told me she was not happy with my anger and foul language. I called the MS support line and had a few discussions to try to manage my feelings. Then I spoke to an MS nurse who explained how energy expensive my anger was. By being less angry I had loads more energy for doing good stuff. I hope that you and your family find a way through this.

1 Like

Maybe you could write him a note or even send a text message and explain you are not willing to take any verbal abuse. Explain that you are fully aware he has health issues - but everyone needs to be respectful of each other at home.

Hopefully you can talk things through - the whole family can be affected long term.


not sure what to say about this. there is no excuse for what he is doing, sounds like he needs to speak to someone, i guess he,s feeling lost and confused and in a lot of pain.maybe speak to his DR. or consultant and get them to book an appointment for him. without him thinking your interfering .