Music for a while

Today, my wife and I went to our third and final concert at the Aldeburgh Festival. We have been going for more years than I care to remember but, since the onset of the worst excesses of MS, we confine ourselves to daytime only concerts.

That is an unfortunate choice of phrase as many of the hidden gems in a festival are during the day, or very late at night (hey,ho). Who would think a concert, combining flute with electronics, could be so captivating? Today, at 11am, was a showcase for new works by young composers; so many world premieres in one go. They were all accessible and each had a story to tell; the beauty being that each listener heard his or her own story. Plenty to talk about afterwards.

It just proves, to me anyway, that there is still plenty to enjoy in life, even if one has to trim one’s sails to suit. I was still gripped by the Festival Bug after the first concert; when I always wish that I had booked tickets for everything. I do miss the evening and late night concerts but I have been to plenty, and have great memories to plunder.

After the concert we enjoyed a vegan lunch at a hipster café. Not bad for an old spazzo like me. Next up the Cratfield Church chamber series; all on Sunday at 3pm. Ideal.

Best wishes

Alun

1 Like

Hello Alun.

I love Snape Maltings and Aldeburgh.

They have great music there.

Big skies.

Steve