MS & PIP

Just looking for a bit of information - Has anyone who feels unfit to return to work applied for personal independent payment from the government? I fully intend to return to work - I have been off 12 weeks at the moment…once my medication and sanity is on an even keel I am hoping to get back into a working routine. I wasn’t sure if someone with RRMS was eligible for it or not and was it an easy process? Thank you

Hi Sarah,

Regarding the application for PIP, they will assess anyone with a disability or long term ill health. “The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the illness itself”. There is no harm in trying to get help. Its a straight forward process altogether, giving the department a call, filling the application form, and waiting for a one to one medical assessment, then ofcourse the final decision. However, it may be very slow, as I have heard recently, that there is a massive backlog in the system. Could take months or more. You’d have to be patient.

Check out the Pip website. It will give you clear guidelines to see if you are be eligible. Personal Independence Payment (PIP): Eligibility - GOV.UK.

Hope this helps. Goodluck.

Almond x

Hi Sarah,

Regarding the application for PIP, they will assess anyone with a disability or long term ill health. “The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the illness itself”. There is no harm in trying to get help. Its a straight forward process altogether, giving the department a call, filling the application form, and waiting for a one to one medical assessment, then ofcourse the final decision. However, it may be very slow, as I have heard recently, that there is a massive backlog in the system. Could take months or more. You’d have to be patient.

Check out the Pip website. It will give you clear guidelines to see if you are be eligible. Personal Independence Payment (PIP): Eligibility - GOV.UK.

Hope this helps. Goodluck.

Almond x

Thank you Almond - your comment is appreciated. Best wishes Sarah

Hi Sarah,

All I can add to Almond’s reply is that you can claim PIP whether you work or not, it’s not specifically an out of work benefit. A fair guide when looking at the eligibility criteria, is to consider whether they apply to you for more than 50% of the time.

Best of luck,

Mags :slight_smile:

Sarah, My brother has RRMS and you are potentially due this benefit. I’m not dx’d with ms having been given a spurious term of non-specific encephalopathy however I’m going to be applying as my life has completely changed even though I’m back at work Mick

Hi Sarah I work and have only recently returned to work and now can only manage part time hours. I have recently been awarded PIP, be prepared when you apply for a long wait as there is huge backlogs currently but if your successful your award with be back dated to the date you first claimed. Good Luck Polly x

I’ve not been diagnosed yet and not had my 1st neuro appointment yet my last gp was not helpful i claimed pip they hardly scored me any points so asked for reconsideration not looking good for me due to lack of medical evidence i claimed in july and got decision in feburary so it’s a very long wait i plan to appeal if they don’t reconsider me as my mobilty is terrible.

Hi Sarah I’m in a similar position, stepped down from my position in mid November to recharge and reflect on what to do next, only for MS to raise it’s ugly head with a confirm diagnosis of RRMS in January. Initial hit of steroids hasn’t worked in my case and waiting to see what’s going to happen next! So only yesterday I took the courage to start the process of claiming PIP, so I’ll let you know how I get on. I’ve never claimed for benefits before and found it quite an alien feeling, but after meeting some folk at the local branch they strongly advised I should. Best of luck Paul

Thank you all for commenting. I like to also hear how everyone else is getting on with their Situation. Paul, I too have never claimed benefits and didn’t know where to start. I rang up this morning and gave my details and they will be sending me out a form. Message me anytime and let me know how you are getting on. Best wishes to everyone. Sarah. :slight_smile:

Hi all, I was diagnosed with PPMS in Dec '13 I suffered a sudden deterioration at the end of Jan & have been off work since, I have just completed my PIP application using, http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk there is a £20 yearly subscription it is worth every penny it was recommended to me by a friend.

They breakdown each question on the form and give examples of how to reply. Same for ESA and you get updates on any government changes etc.

I am now also going to start looking into access to work grants so I can ease my return to work and remain in work.

Hope this helps

Pauline

bringing this one back to life, so to speak.

my wife is recently diagnosed with RRMS and at present is nearly 100% back to normal. we have tentatively looked into PIP and know we would qualify but we are having concerns about the application for this and the assessment.

if we made a claim now and had an assessment whilst she is in remission, there would be no problems with mobility, ability, decision making etc so i would guess be declined any PIP. But this obviously doesn’t stop her from waking up the next day and having a relapse, so would we have to make another claim, wait for an assessment by which time she may be well again so the cycle starts again?

i called the DWP and the PIP application line to be told they cant comment but make an application and find out then!!

i have experience of some benefits based on my job and how it impacts on certain other benefits if received but know nothing about the application process/assessment.

is it the case that the assessment will focus on how the illness impacts you WHEN YOU ARE ILL regardless of your current state of health, recognising that when you are ill you need XY and Z so until then you will either receive a low payment (by virtue of having a qualifying condition) or nil payment but a valid and open claim which will respond to a sudden change of circumstance and pay accordingly for the duration of that episode?

we both work and don’t want to waste anyones time (our especially) if we can only claim when my wife is ill and possibly even then to ill to apply or attend an assesment!

anyone out there with experience in applying for PIP in these circumstances who can shed some light on it?

I can’t say I have experience but when I got it I had no diagnoses and won on reconsideration but I did walk in there with aids, get either cab or fightback to fill in the forms, you state how you are on your worse day and not mention good days that will go against you.

​its a long process gather as much medical evidence as you can.