MS and itching scalp

My husband had PPMS and for the last year has been scratching his head non stop. He has seen a dermatologist and given various creams etc but they did say it may not help due to the itching is down to the MS and not dry scalp etc. Have you experienced this and why did you do about it?

Try putting coconut balm on it xxx

1 Like

Yes, just keep massaging coconut oil into the scalp. And take lots of vitd3 - only the softgels not tablets. You can also just prick a hole in the top of the gels and squeeze the oil onto his scalp. Works well for psoriasis as well.

Healthy Origins Vitamin D3 10,000ius softgels [amazon]

1 Like

I donā€™t get itching of the scalp but I get random pins and needles in the scalp which is a strain sensation

1 Like

Thanks everyone

My cousin was good enough to send a HUGE pot of the coconut so will definetly try it.

Thanks

Caz

That was my very, very first symptom, mercifully didnā€™t last long but drove me crazy while it was there!

Creams / oils sadly unlikely to help as it is ā€œimaginaryā€ itching caused by neurological problem not ā€œrealā€ itching caused be something wrong with the skin. The massage that goes with applying the cream may help though!

Weirdly, the only thing that seemed to calm mine down was ibuprofen. And (because it happened mainly at night) amitriptyline so I could sleep through it!

Good luck

Oh yes the invisible MS LICE ha ha. Yep i get it now and then it drives me nuts, my nuero told me its part of my MS one of those weird symptoms.

1 Like

Iā€™ve suffered severe itching, though mostly on limbs and back - not had it on my scalp yet. Iā€™ve had times where Iā€™ve scratched large areas of skin off my shins and then the scabs itch even worse.

My MS nurse advised as itā€™s neurological thereā€™s isnā€™t much that can be done, itā€™s just the nerve endings sending the wrong signals rather than ā€˜realā€™ itching. She did say try Piriton (ha, ha), but no other suggestions.

Iā€™ve recently had a 5 day course of IV steroids for a flare up and have noticed the itching has all but stopped.

Hope your husband finds something to ease it - if so let me know!

1 Like

Yet another weird symptom, all in our heads???

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m so glad to have found this post ( sorry that your husband is suffering) I have rrms & for the past couple of months on & off I have been experiencing awful itching of my scalp, no new shampoos no new perfume, no dry scalp, absolutely no external factor whatsoever. This is the kind of itching that wakes me from my sleep, Iā€™ve lost lots of hair from it & itā€™s so upsetting, Iā€™ve been to 3 different doctors, one actually said I might be imagining it, that it could be a nervous twitch kind of thing. Iā€™m not crazy, my scalp feels like Iā€™m having itching powder constantly sprinkled on it. Finally I got to my Neuro who has prescribed me with a low dose of amitriptyline 10mg itā€™s supposed to help. Tonight I am going to take 5mg just to be sure I donā€™t have any adverse reaction & then tomorrow I will try the recommended 10mg, might be something helpful for your hubby.

1 Like

Yes I get the itches, particularly head and thighs and like others have damaged myself scratchingā€¦ the amytripyline helped ( just been taken off it) I also use e45 bath oil to soften my skin so itā€™s harder to damage !

1 Like

Epsom salts in the bath is excellent for the skinā€¦ so is a handful of porage oats. Really softens the skin.

1 Like

Thanks all for your help and ideas unfortunately nothing has helped just another MS thing to add to the list.

Caz

Hi new to the forum. Donā€™t have a solution but has made feel Iā€™m not crazy. Got as far as checking the kids didnā€™t have the dreaded love and not combed myself like mad!

Riboflavin - which is Vitamin B2 - will help improve skin and scalp. lt is also part of Dr Coimbraā€™s Vitamin D Protocol for MS and Auto-immune disorders.

1 Like

Hi there Spacejacket,

Is this something I can buy in Boots and are they safe for diabetics?

Caz

Do you know Iā€™ve had this, looking back I had it before my first recognised attack. But I thought as I have guinea pigs must have caught something, I tried everything nit shampoo, poly tar etc nothing worked but fortunately it only lasted a couple of days. Piggies had extra baths as well!

It has got do bad that i have had to call out the doctor to see him today. I have even ordered scratch mits for adults.