MRI scan tomorrow

Good evening all,

I’ve got my brain and spine MRI tomorrow evening, the appointment came as a surprise as I was told last week that there were 50 people ahead of me on the waiting list but it seems my doctors referrals (she has sent many) have pushed me up the list.

ive told my husband and family that I’m not nervous but if I’m honest I’m a little worried. I’ve had an MRI before for IBS but didn’t have any head supports etc to ‘strap me in’.

im also nervous about the results, I’m worried that there may be lesions but also worried that the cause of my symptoms won’t be found, I know that sounds silly and irrational and worrying isn’t going to help as what will be will be but nevertheless it’s on my mind.

How did you all find your MRI scans? How were you whilst waiting for the results? I should have mine on 23rd June when I have my neurology appointment - are there cases whereby the results are shared before the neurology appointment ?

The scan itself is easy. The scanner does the clever stuff (rather noisily); all you need to do is to lie there and not fidget.

I’m not going to say that the waiting for results is as easy, though. Staying as busy as you can between now and your consultant appointment is my best suggestion. It might be worth, a week or so before that appointment, ringing the consultant neurologist’s sec to see whether the scan report has come through from the consultant radiologist. That way, he/she has a few days to chase it up if needed.

Good luck tomorrow.

Alison

I’ve had two head and spine MRI’s now. Both times I fell asleep, the being still, in a noisy cold tube seems to do something that my body likes and I drop right off. They’ll provide ear defenders for the noise and the head brace thing has a mirror on so you can see your feet.

As Alison has said the wait is only an issue if you’re thinking about it. It’s hard not to over think it, best advice is to try and stay busy, don’t give yourself time to think or second guess about it.

I’ve got my 3rd MRI next week, and the neuro appointment later that day, I’m doing everything I can between now and then to keep myself busy, so as to not worry about my appointment.

I know how you’re feeling, but in the grand scheme of things 2 weeks to wait isn’t anything. Just try and stay positive.

Kedge

Hi

I had my MRI of head and spine yesterday (FYI I was in machine about 50 minutes - that was total for with/without contrast). I have previously had brain MRI without contrast and then called back to have one with.

I am not yet diagnosed but one suggestion on the table is Neuro Inflammatory ( neuro said MS)… I have had the first appointment with Neurologist and she has specified for me to call her secretary when scan done so that she can chase the results - so I would suggest you do that - can’t help to phone secretary?

I too am VERY NERVOUS so I completely understand how you are feeling - hopefully we will both get (positive) answers soon (my Neuro appointment 27th June). Let us know how you get on.

x

Hi,

I have my MRI scan tomorrow afternoon too & I’m feeling nervous now, although I suffer with anxiety & depression so doesn’t take much to get me worried! Keeping busy & distracted is definitely the best plan I think.

I can’t offer much advise as I’m in the same situation as you, in the waiting game, but wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Take care, Chaz

Thanks everyone for your replies and words of encouragement. Staying busy is the easy part with 3 kids, most of the time I manage to switch off from the worrying it just affects me when I get symptoms out of the blue and the meds don’t really help that much

Im going to email my neurologist secretary and request that she chases the report before my appointment on 23rd, hopefully that way l’ll have some answers during the appointment. I work for the NHS in informatics so I can find the contact details for the consultants and can chase / nag :slight_smile:

I’ll share an update after my scan…

have a a great day all

1 Like

Hi Chaz,

hope your ok today and not too worried about this afternoons scan.

What time is your appointment today? Let me know how you get along. All the best

Hi Lolili,

I, like you was very apprehensive about my first mri but I had a lovely radiologist and I told her I was nervous and she couldn’t have been nicer. I didn’t like the idea of having the cage over my head and she asked me if I wanted to see her put it on or close my eyes. I chose the latter and she told me when to close my eyes. She also talked to me in between the sections of the scan so she said this bit is going to last 2 minutes are you ok? and then this bit is going to take 1 minute 30 seconds and so it went on but I was so grateful to her. My scan lasted 27 minutes so whenever she gave me a time I counted to see how accurately I could count the time away.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on?

Best wishes

Grandma x

Thinking of you too Chaz

Best wishes

Grandma x

Hi, I am ok, keeping busy with work today. My appointment is at 4:45pm, what time is yours? I’ll pop back here tonight to see how you get on & i’ll let you know likewise. Take care x

1 Like

Thanks Grandma x

Good luck for this afternoon x

I’ll also pop on to see how you got along. Mine is at 7:20pm.

Thanks grandma, fab suggestion I’m planning to keep my eyes closed else ill be worried that I’ll start moving and it will take longer. Great suggestion about counting - I hope my radiologist is as nice as yours. I’ll share a little update after the scan.

1 Like

I had my MRI head & spine last Thursday - if they give you the option, do listen to some of your own music. I chose Velvet Underground: White Heat White Light which complimented the crashing noise and vibration of the scanner wonderfully. Although the ear plugs distorted a lot.

The actual scanning process is easy, not knowing when you will get another consultation is difficult. I rang up the Neurology Dept today and was advised at least 4 weeks. I don’t like being in limbo. Just confirm the MS prognosis and let me move on and tackle the issues!

1 Like

Hi Whiteoak was this your first scan? And what are your symptoms? Hope you don’t mind me asking just interested in other peoples journeys to limboland!

Hi Whiteoak was this your first scan? And what are your symptoms? Hope you don’t mind me asking just interested in other peoples journeys to limboland!

Hi Ejc

yes - first MRI but had a CT scan of the head before.

symbtons, leg drag, unsteadiness, significant fatigue if I try and walk more than a mile, I can’t run, ED, some pins and needles in the hands, apparently some face droop and slight slurring of the speech. My consultant was so sure of MS prognosis, he said ‘I could tell you now or in 6-8 weeks time’ . So I asked! Now I’m in limbo land waiting for confirmation.

Hi Ejc

yes - first MRI but had a CT scan of the head before.

symptoms, leg drag, unsteadiness, significant fatigue if I try and walk more than a mile, I can’t run, ED, some pins and needles in the hands, apparently some face droop and slight slurring of the speech. My consultant was so sure of MS prognosis, he said ‘I could tell you now or in 6-8 weeks time’ . So I asked! Now I’m in limbo land waiting for confirmation.

Oh wow that’s pretty sure of the neurologist! Mine is 2nd scan (CT showed something up - had it following on and off vertigo in November/December)… mri showed some lesions but they are not sure what it is… between something I don’t want to think about and ms at the moment. My only other ‘true’ symptom (?? Possibly) was a tingly hand for about 4-6 weeks 3 years ago). Also get random tiny muscle twitches all over… no pattern and not at all severe.

Do you have date for neurologist appointment? Mine is 27th - good look hope it goes well and you get answers. Let us know what happens x

Hi Lolili

​Have you had your MRI - hopefully it wasn’t a too traumatic experience. Did you get to play any music? Hopefully you treated yourself afterwards.

best regards