MRI - a bit nervous!

Hello all,

I’ve got my first MRI this week (so impressed with the NHS, I only saw the neurologist last week!). It’s two scans for the price of one…head first, then spine.

Im feeling very grateful to be seen so swiftly, but rather nervous as I’ve got claustrophobia…I find it very tricky to remain still when I’m panicking, but I know I have to be!

Can anyone fill me in on what to expect and any tips on how to not get fidgety, lol?

Also, I’m curious as to what they’ll try next if the MRI results are negative. My symptoms feel like they could be any number of things; I’m wondering what they’ll explore next?

(My main symptoms are: regular numbness/pins and needles in left foot, regular random aching in various locations around my body, fatigue, extreme coldness but sometimes weirdly hot too, occasional itchy sensitive skin for no reason…all quite nebulous and non specific apart from the foot!)

1 Like

My best tip is to think of something wonderful, listen to music, which you can choose but make it something not too quiet as it pretty noisy in there. It’s bright and light and you’ll have a buzzer to press if it does all get too much for you. Try to relax when you’re in there, think positive thoughts and dream a bit! Hope it all goes ok for you.

1 Like

You hop up on a trolley thing first. They also put a triangular pillow under your kneed to help you not fidget. They will also probably give you ear plugs or head-phones because the scanner makes a surprising amount of noise - lots of buzzing and banging noises. It’s not unpleasant, but would be a surprise if you didn’t know about it. There’s a thing to hold your head steady so you don’t move by accident. You will also be equipped with a button to press just in case you feel unwell in there (which you won’t, but it’s nice to know it’s there). I am not technically minded, so the MRI is pretty much indistinguishable from magic as far as I’m concerned. Such a lot of information, and so safe and so clever! I don’t understand a thing about them beyond the fact that they are just amazing. I find that thinking about them in those terms helps, too. Good luck.

1 Like

What I forgot to say is that I shut my eyes as soon as I’m up on the trolley and keep them firmly shut until they wheel me out again. If you don’t care for confined spaces or the thought of confined spaces either, I strongly suggest that you do the same.

1 Like

Agree with Alison I always close my eyes until it’s finished. I don’t open them again until I’m out of there.It can be cold so you can ask for a blanket. Usually takes about 45mins to an hour depending on what they are scanning.
I usually have brain and c spine.
I’ve never been offered a full spinal MRI.

1 Like

Thanks everyone - I’ll keep those eyes firmly closed!

1 Like

Hi, Recently going through the MRI 3 times which was the first times ever best thing I can suggest is that if they allow music to be played make up a cd does help make the time go by quicker.

2 Likes

As Pete the tech guy says- let the MRI team know you are claustrophobic and nervous. If it’s really bad you can get a mild sedative and ask for music to be played including any that you provide

2 Likes

Yeah they will give you a little squeezer so if things get a little too bad for you you can squeeze on that to call for help if you need it.

1 Like

Thank you all - I appreciate the tips.

1 Like

P.S. You won’t be anything like the first person with anxieties, claustrophobia etc. and some MRI nurses/ technicians happily tell me that they would struggle a bit. So don’t feel embarrassed to let them know of your worries!

2 Likes

I was thinking of you today as I was posted into the scanner myself for a routine head MRI. It was cold in there - it’s always cold in there - and I reminded myself to let you know that you might want to wear a warm jumper or two, as I did!

2 Likes

Ah thank you - a good tip! It’s this morning so I’ll be glad to get it over and done with!

2 Likes

Hope it goes well. I had my first ever MRI on New year’s eve and was fine. I was surprised how chilled out I felt - daily fatigue probably helped :joy: it didn’t take long, was around 30 mins- I wonder if that means they didn’t find anything of interest?

1 Like

New Year’s Eve - what a day to have it! Glad it was a chilled experience for you. I found it fine, but mine was an hour which was a lot longer than I thought it’d be! Now just the waiting for the results…

3 Likes

Glad it was okay for you, did you have contrast?. I googled afterwards :joy: and it said the MRI machine I had can reduce scanning times-either way, I’m glad. I’ll keep looking to see when you get your results.

1 Like

I must have had one of the old clunky machines :grin: no contrast for me. Hope you get results soon.

1 Like

Any news? Still waiting here but it’s only 2 weeks on Sunday.

The longest time I waited for results was 16 weeks. It feels like even longer.
My sister who also has MS is currently waiting over 8 weeks. She has had MS for over 15 years with no treatment. Has now had to give up work.

No news yet - but it’s only been just over a week for me. I was geared up to wait at least 4-6 weeks from what I’ve heard from other people. Mind you, perhaps it’ll be longer than that!

1 Like