MRI - a bit nervous!

Wow. Sorry to hear that. It’s crazy. I’m fully expecting it to come back normal and carry on in my plight to find what’s going on.

They said two to three weeks but maybe I am just naïve in thinking that’s how long it will be.

I’ve got an EMG test in Thursday which I’m not looking forward to thanks to my insane need to Google everything :rofl:

I’m not scared of needles but people have posted such horror stories :weary::weary:

Just randomly reading a little around and curious how things work in the UK/NHS. Sounds like there is somewhat of a wait for MRI results? People are talking this or that many weeks. My Japanese hospital has me wait like maybe half an hour, 1 hour tops if it’s a busy day, and then I’m straight back with my doctor hearing the results and his thoughts about it. That’s all I’ve ever experienced across some 20ish MRIs at this point. It sure makes the whole this or that many weeks sound like an awfully long time! But they also squeeze me in during the technicians lunch break and such if we really need that MRI fast and too many people are lined up etc. Longest I’ve ever waited for an MRI was 2 weeks. It should be noted that there is no public health service here, it’s all private so I pay for everything essentially outside of my special use my rare disease data for research insurance (so well MS related that means a cap of like what 40 pounds by my super fast casual currency conversion.) Otherwise it’s what 200 pounds per MRI or something urgh.
I guess public service has quite different battles making equal care rather than speed a priority.

From what I can tell, some people seem to be waiting several weeks (if not months!) for MRI results. Here in the U.K. I think the NHS is still working with a backlog after covid, plus underfunding etc. I feel lucky I got the MRI quickly in the first place… I’ve heard some people have had to wait ages for that too!

Good luck with that - I remember you saying your results should take 2-3 weeks to come back; have you heard anything yet?

Different countries, different cultures, different ways of doing things. A UK friend home from Japan recently told me that if he wants to see a GP, he just goes to see a GP and, well, sees the GP. There and then, not next week or in a month and a half. Different world. There are other differences we might not like as much: he said that everyone pays a proportion of their healthcare out of their own pockets and the Japanese find that this arrangement gives a reasonable balance of affordability/access and personal responsibility/ownership. Mind you, he also said that he has to see a GP every time he needs a repeat prescription, so even a system that seems to work well has its bonkers aspects!

It would be nice to cherry-pick our favourite bits of others’ healthcare systems, but in truth I don’t think any country’s works perfectly. Some do seem to work better than others, though. At least we’re not in as bad a state as the USA, where they absolutely pay through the nose for healthcare per capita and get pretty rubbish outcomes for their trouble (except for the super-rich who can afford the best of the best, which certainly is available).

1 Like

Definitely, on the whole I do feel blessed to have free care with the NHS, unfortunately, they only get to see us at our most frustrated/worried times when time is of the essence for us and millions more!

1 Like

Saw a letter on my GP app with a quick summary of results- “brain mri shows minor changes which could be attributed to my newly acquired high blood pressure, spine mri shows arthritis. None of these would contribute to neurological symptoms which I should find encouraging”

Had an EMG today and will get the results in 10 days or so. Had three people come to look and all asked if I have back pain, I wouldn’t say my back is any more painful than other areas so now I’m wondering what that was all about!

Hope you get your results soon.

I got mine back yesterday - very similar to yours actually! Said brain looked fine (aside from minor things that were within ‘normal’) but spine showed something around the discs; not neurological. It’s a big relief!

Mind you, it still begs the question; what’s going on?! I’ve requested they redo my bloods; they keep saying it can’t be B12 because they took my blood at the start of 2023, but surely things can change since then? (I know I’m not a medical expert lol).