Moving to Wales?

Nothing is set in stone yet but there is a strong chance that we will be moving to Wales (Cardiff) in the next couple of months. My husband is from Swansea and wants to go back to Wales - not just because they won the Grand Slam yesterday but because we will have lots of brilliant family and and friends nearby. We are waiting on a transfer of my job to a home-based role as a reasonable adjustment for my disability issues. This would be much less stressful for me (my current levels of stress are pushing me into regular mini relapses) and this different role would genuinely significantly extend my useful working life

So far, so exciting but there is a big MS-shaped fly in the ointment. What level of treatment can I expect in Cardiff? I currently have a fantastic care team in South London - particularly a fantastic MS nurse.

This week I read news about MS Cymru’s latest report about MS nurses. This seems to confirm what I have been told - ie that MS care in Wales (like anywhere) can be patchy. I know that Swansea (Morriston hospital) is/was a centre of excellence for neuro (in fact my mother-in-law raised thousands for them whilst my late father-in-law had Parkinsons) but obviously we wouldn’t come under them.

So, has anyone had any experience of treatment for MS patients in Cardiff?

Hi

Sorry can’t remember the name of the hospital BUT I Come under Morriston and know Cardiff has got a lot better reputation locally. Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Sue

Hi

I live in Cardiff and can say the MS team here are fantastic,great support and never more than a phonecall away. The neuros are pretty spot on as well. The problem with the shortage of nurses is unfortunately more in North Wales.

Please ask me anything else you want to know about the Heath (hospital) and hopefully welcome to Cardiff.

Ricky

Hi,

I think that if your husband’s from Swansea then a good enough reason for moving back to Wales is having Swansea FC doing well in the Premier League, especially after yesterday’s 3-0 win against Fulham lol!

I’m based at Morriston myself and the MS Team there is pretty good, I must say, but I’m also in contact with the lead of the team in Cardiff and I’d re-iterate what Ricky above says.

Pity you can’t move here by April24th :wink: because MS Cymru still have a few places left for their Swansea Firewalk…(more in my profile)

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-events/2011/12/swansea-firewalk-2012

But yes, all joking aside you’d be in good hands at Cardiff.

Eiona :slight_smile:

I am under the heath (which is the main general hospital but sometimes visit 2 other places in Cardiff-the MS team also work from rookwood-a smaller, quieter hospital and sometimes for MRI you get sent to Llandoch!!) my experience of MS team has been good-had really quick ref. to continence nurse, neuropsychologist etc. Lovely team of nurses: Heath is a research hospital-my neuro seems quite open/up to speed re: new+unlicensed treatments and you could be involved in research yourself (which for some is something they feel good about) Same as Ricky, any questions will do my best to answer!

-J.M

Thanks everyone. I knew that the Heath had a good reputation generally so I am really pleased to hear positive things about MS care there.

I am really, really excited about the possibility of moving to Cardiff and I cannot see a down side to it for Dai + me. Just hope that I can make all the plates I need to juggle to make it happen. So keep your fingers crossed for me folks!

How exciting!

Just a thought, but why don’t you give the local MS Society Cardiff and Vale Branch http://www.mssociety.org.uk/branches/cardiff-and-vale-branch a call and see if you can arrange a time to chat with someone over the phone about your move?

Swansea or Bristol are probaby your nearest Therapy Centres and either of those might be worth a call too though they’re generally even busier than the MS Society branches and will expect you to book an appointment, turn up and hang around, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Branch / Centre were a bit perplexed by the enquiry, so you might struggle a bit to convince them to spare you some time, but it’ll be worth getting some more inside knowledge.

Lolli xx

How exciting!

Just a thought, but why don’t you give the local MS Society Cardiff and Vale Branch http://www.mssociety.org.uk/branches/cardiff-and-vale-branch a call and see if you can arrange a time to chat with someone over the phone about your move?

Swansea or Bristol are probaby your nearest Therapy Centres and either of those might be worth a call too though they’re generally even busier than the MS Society branches and will expect you to book an appointment, turn up and hang around, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Branch / Centre were a bit perplexed by the enquiry, so you might struggle a bit to convince them to spare you some time, but it’ll be worth getting some more inside knowledge.

Lolli xx