Moving Ground

For the last 8-12 months when i walk/stand it feels like the floor is moving it is getting worse. Is it possible this is vertigo? I don’t feel dizzy but due to the symptoms i feel trapped in my home as i am terrified to go out. Has anyone felt like this?

one of my ms symptoms of ms was feeling like i was on a boat - I felt like I was like captain Jack Sparrow

I have had vetigo aswell but that was different - couldnt lift my head without the room spining, it would take a few moments for my vision to catch up with what my eyes were looking at

did that make any sense?

Thanks for the reply. Well it doesn’t sound like vertigo. I’ve had that feeling like I’m on a boat before this is not that it affects my balance too i can be standing still or walking & i suddenly pitch forward & lose my balance. I think I’m going to have to try & see my gp.

Hi @Redbabe1, this is an interesting post. Do you feel like this all of the time or occasionally throughout the day? I ask as I experience something similar, I can be standing still then lose my balance either toppling sidewards or forwards, rarely backwards. It is sudden and causes me to try and grab something. Is this an ms symptom, I’m not sure. I can understand why you feel nervous to go out, which is not great either. Let us know how you get on.

Hopefully you will get some answers and or some suggestions of how to help.

The feeling when i walk is constant , the feeling of tipping forward comes & goes. It is affecting my ability to exercise so I’m gaining weight which in turn is I believe affecting circulation to my legs & feet. I am trying to see my gp but no bookable appts for weeks so i have to phone everyday :woman_shrugging:

Hello - google Disembarkment syndrome? Just a wild idea.

This is v/similar to my current experience…
Over the past two years it’s become increasingly difficult to walk in a straight line…
The sensation is one of walking over pillows…
Which wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t “walking on rocks”…

In public I’ve stopped trying to “behave as others do” as I find attempting to control all the various limbs I have just creates more problems…

Vertigo hadn’t occurred to me, but…
I used to be active in various outdoor pursuits and would terrify friends by “dancing” on the edges of alarming drops…
I now find looking from the window of our first floor flat disconcerting…

I curious to know where this goes from here…

I’ve never heard of it but will check it out.

Walking on pillows is the best description for how it feels. I do have very bad circulation especially in my feet so maybe that’s connected ? I am still waiting to see my GP & will update what they think is going on.

When I had inner ear problems, many years ago (put down as an inner ear virus - maybe was, or maybe was neurological, as I had it twice), which really upset my sense of balance, at one stage as it was improving and I was no longer lurching around, I described the sensation I had as feeling I was ‘walking on bouncy pavements’.

I get benign positional vertigo from time to time - a very different feeling, room spinning with eye nystagmus.

I also had recently for about a year the sensation of slipping on ice with my right foot. My proprioception had got muddled. On sloping ground or on smooth slippery surfaces, it would feel as if my foot was slipping on the ground, and I’d instantly react as if I was slipping. I eventually worked out that it was my foot slipping slightly in my shoe, not my shoe slipping on the floor, but as the brain is subconsciously alert to slipping sensations when it sees risky surfaces, and in alert mode, yet for some reason other sensations were not coming back fast enough or strongly enough that should have told it that it was my foot in my shoe slipping, my brain was working on the data that reached it first, and misinterpreted it as slipping on the floor. Very disconcerting! Doctors just looked at me as if I was mad when I described it. I too have poor circulation in my feet, and permanent pins and needles.

Over time I think my brain gradually adapted to this, and downgraded the dominant sensation, or possibly the other senses returned to normal speed or strength. Thank goodness for brain plasticity!

Poor circulation / peripheral neuropathy which depresses the signalling to the brain could be the cause of yours, together with a bit of a deficit in signalling from other areas that normally help tell you where you are in time and space. Hopefully it will improve. Have you tried using walking poles or a rollator? Do you feel more confident if you are pushing a shopping trolley? When I had the ‘bouncy pavements’, I discovered that pushing my bicycle gave me better stability. I couldn’t at that point actually ride the bike due to the balance problems, but looked sporty, which appealed to my vanity, and didn’t have any walking sticks to hand anyway!