Movicol, bowels and the joys of MS

Hi. I have been using suppositories for my ‘toilet routine’ but realised this isn’t great so asked the doctor for some movicol. I started with 1/2 in the evening with no affect. Then 1, not much difference there and now 2 but still nothing much happening. I’ve even tried the morning but nothing. I can go for days with no movement and then I’ll be out somewhere and ‘bang’ that’s it, the joys of MS! Any ideas? Advice? I need to get something sorted as I have school runs, work and general life to lead and it’s hell not knowing when it’s going to happen. I’ve got bladder issues of retention etc so I’m pretty sure it’s a nerve issue-thanks. Thanks Sorry to be anon!

Hi Sorry I’ve got no specific advice on your query but I would ask my GP/MS nurse for a referral to the continence clinic. They have a lot of experience in dealing with these things Good Luck!

My MS nurse recommends senna along with movicol. Perhaps you could try senna for a few days to ‘have a clear out’ and then go back to only movicol to keep things moving. I take one sachet every night and also try to eat 4 or 5 prunes each day. The MS nurse should be able to refer you to a continence clinic if you want, they are very friendly and helpful people in my experience

I found the Cracked Linseeds (aka Golden Linseeds) work for me Take 2 teaspoons at night, each teaspoon washed down with a large glass of water (250mls) and this works (next morning) for me You can get the Linseeds at most health food shops e.g. Holland & Barrett V

I use lactulose and it works very well. I generally take it when I am on codeine as that has an effect, but have been using I for a few weeks now as things have errr… Well. Stopped So to say. But I suspect that is my patches kicking as I only increased them a while back. Strudders

Thank you for all your responses. Can I ask: Jacquie and Floopy, do you take movicol everyday and senna everyday or just occasionally? Verona, do you chew or just swallow the linseed? Thank you x

Quote:

Thank you for all your responses. Can I ask: Jacquie and Floopy, do you take movicol everyday and senna everyday or just occasionally? Verona, do you chew or just swallow the linseed? Thank you x

I just swallow the linseeds, thus the large glass of water after each spoon ful. Some people soak the linseeds in water and then drink the mixture. Try both, see what suits you. Hope you get sorted soon V

I take 1 sachet of movicol each night just before bed. I only use senna occasionally if needed (thankfully not that often these days) I try to eat a good healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg too

Hi. Thank you Claire for your reply, does the nerve implant make a real difference? I hope it gives you some freedom, that’s the problem sometimes you get scared to go out in case there’s an explosion…(not bombs!) Thanks also to everyone for their advice, I think bowels are a problem lots of us have issues with but it’s so embarrassing we try to hide it. As with me going ‘anon’!

Hi I have had constipation for years and I have tried everything (singularly and all together lol) but found, by accident, a fantastic product - Benefibre - it is available from Boots at about £7 a tub, it disolves in Tea or Coffee and all beeverages, does not taste and is made from wheat dextrin and Gluten free. I take 2 teaspoons in my morning Tea and early evening and appear to have a “normal bowel movement” at the moment. The tub lasts about 3/4 weeks and worth every penny. Good luck. Sue x