Mobility scooters

BBC one tonight at 10.45 the trouble with mobility scooters might be interesting X

The trouble for me is I can’t walk so in wheelchair 24/7

Thanks for this…will try to catch it on iplayer.

Ell

I saw a little of it but then son came home and footie took over

Very interesting watch…not sure I want one now

I watched it and have decided wen the time comes I want the tandem one and hubby can drive x

My dad has two - he’s just being greedy lol! He had a small second-hand one but decided it didn’t go fast enough (even though he has to slow it right down when I walk alongside!). He is keeping it as it will come apart and go in the car if he wants a day out somewhere. He now has one of the very large silver ones with motorbike style handlebars and a motorbike style pannier on the back. It does 8mph. He is a big man and it does suit him better. It also fits his large (size 13/14) feet much better.

We tease him that when he goes to the allotment on it to ‘see to his chickens’ (and chat with the other men for hours!) it’s like Last of the Summer Wine.

My aunt was getting a bit jealous that he spent some of his pension lump sum on the mobility scooter and he also now has a Motability car so I told him to tell her that she could have both if she also has his sarcoidosis and severe arthritis!!

Tracey x

Having just watched it, it underlined to me that unless you’re alert enough to drive a car, you really shouldn’t be in charge of a mobility scooter (…probably moreso ?!!).

I very recently gave up driving (tough decision to make after 30 years behind the wheel) as I no longer felt totally safe and therefore could quite easily be a danger to myself and others. I could well believe a person needs to be every bit as alert to operate a mobility scooter safely.

The programme focussed on several people driving scooters who simply shouldn’t have been in charge of a powered vehicle at all. I fully support the notion that there needs to be some sort of profficiency test before you’re even allowed to command this kind of vehicle.

I used to drive cars and ride motorbikes, and riding a motorbike meant you had to be completely alert at all times, or a mistake could easily cost you your life !!

Fully believed that all car drivers should have had compulsory bike lessons before they got their driving license. Might’ve woken up some of the sleep-drivers I’ve seen

Dom

I didn’t watch but I want one sick of stuck in house 24/7 due to poor mobility been looking at one my mum keeps telling me to wait until dx I’m sure she’s hoping I’ll be cured lol I wish any advice is welcome x

[quote=“Alysea”] I didn’t watch but I want one sick of stuck in house 24/7 due to poor mobility been looking at one my mum keeps telling me to wait until dx I’m sure she’s hoping I’ll be cured lol I wish any advice is welcome x [/quote] I’m not a fan of waiting. If you need it now then why wait for a dx? I can understand your mums point of view in that she probably wants to keep hope alive but that’s not helping you to get a life. My suggestion would be to buy a second hand scooter, not pay too much with the idea of selling it when you “get better”. When you don’t get better you can still sell it and buy a better one meanwhile you’re not stuck at home waiting for something to happen. Jane

Mine should be delivered on Tuesday!
Can’t wait to get my life back!

Take Care all!

Steve.