Mobility Scooter

Hi,

I had my new mobility scooter delivered yesterday. I can’t believe how good it is considering it can still be broken down and put in the boot of a car.

I was able to take my son to school and pick him up which was great. He loves standing between my legs and helping me steer it.

It’s nice to be able to go out and not rely on a family member to push me around.

Just need some sunny days now.

1 Like

Excellent. That’s why I got mine, to take kids to school. Now you can take them out with friends etc and have that bit of freedom. Mine are really too big to go on it now but they still need a ‘lift’ sometimes. After that initial time entering school gates and being out on it first time, it’s just normal.

I wish you many happy trips, with or without your son xxx

1 Like

Thanks Slug

I am starting to get use to it now.

Ye it was a bit strange at first especially when i was going around my own street.

2 Likes

Great, gives you so much freedom (don’t mean to sound a bit Braveheart). But with power of movement comes responsibility (sorry another quote from a film).

Always; for your benefit; get at least 3rd party insurance cover. If its able to travel on the road

• Scooters that can be used on the road are known as a Class 3 ‘invalid carriage’.
  • On the road scooters can travel at a maximum speed of 8mph.
  • If used on footpaths, the maximum speed is 4mph.
  • A class 3 vehicle must be registered with the DVLA.
  • For a class 3 vehicle you need to have a tax disc, but this is free of charge.
  • You have to be at least 14 years old to drive a Class 3 mobility scooter.
  • If you are using the road, follow the rules that other road users follow. This means road signs and traffic lights. Use your scooter’s lights, indicators, and horn.
  • Take other road users and pedestrians into account.
  • Never drive your scooter on the motorway.
  • Insurance is not required for mobility scooters, but it is recommended.
  • You do not need to pass a driving test to use a mobility scooter on the road or pavement.
  • Keep your scooter roadworthy and well maintained.
  • If you have a Class 3 scooter, use the pavement if possible.
  • If you are using the pavement, follow the rules that other pedestrians follow (or should follow).
  • Pedestrians have priority. Remember not all pedestrians will see you. People with a sight or hearing impairment, or other elderly or disabled people might not be aware you are there, and they may not move out of your way.

Insurance and mobility scooters

As the law stands at the moment, you do not legally have to have insurance for your mobility scooter. There are good reasons to have insurance though:

• In case your scooter is damaged, or stolen.
  • In case you cause an accident in your scooter, either to a pedestrian or property.
  • We all think we are good drivers, but sometimes accidents do happen.

Mobility scooters can be expensive to buy and they are your link to mobility and independence. Insurance can mean you keep your independence in the event of something happening to your scooter.

Stick to these regs and really enjoy your new found freedom.

George

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it Irons. I have just got back from our family caravan holiday down by the sea and instead of sitting in the caravan watching everyone enjoy themselves I was able to wheelie along for long wheelies with my hubby and family. It was lovely. What a difference.

For anyone thinking of getting one then go for it. Mine was secondhand and cost £160. It also dismantles and fits into the car easily.

Shazzie xx

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips George. I have taken out the insurance as the way things are in our country now if I hit someone I’m sure they would try and claim from me. So better to have the insurance.

The scooter only goes 4mph but it seems faster when I am on it. So it doesn’t need road tax.

Pleased you had a good holiday Shazzie and it would give you a big boost being able to go for the walks with your family.

We have just come back from a day out at zoo and even though it was a bit of a damp day we all had a good time.

I was able to go everywhere on my scooter and when my youngest sun got tired he jumped on for a lift. My older son’s jumped on the scooter every time I got off it.

I always felt guilty using my wheelchair as I felt guilty getting pushed around.

The scooter has given me my independence back. As Shazzie said anyone thinking about getting one go for it.

1 Like

Sounds like you had a lovely time at the zoo. Lots of laughs too which is nice.

We took our German Shepherd Charlie for a long walk which I wouldn’t have been able to do without it. He kept giving me a look as if to say “what are you doing on that scooter and why are you with me and dad? You aren’t usually” Lol!!

Shazzie xx

1 Like

It’s shocking how much we have missed out on not having a scooter earlier.

pleased you had a good time walking Charlie. He will take a lot of exercise before he becomes tired.

I am hoping that I can get our Golden Retreiver to walk along side the scooter.

It’s a bit damp here this morning but I’m hoping by the time my sons get up the weather picks up and we can all go for a walk.

2 Likes