Mobililty Scooter Advice Please

Hi folks,

I am seriously thinking about investing in a mobility scooter - I mainly want it so that I can walk my dog. Ideally I need to be able to put the thing in the boot of the car so I can take it and the dog places - would I be able to take it on a forest walk where there are paths, or would I be better to stick to paved surfaces? I realise that the scooter and the dog will not fit into the boot of the car (I have an estate) together, but I can work out the logistics later.

I think that the features I am looking for are: lightweight so I can get it in and out of the car by myself; easy to dis/assemble; solid enough to perhaps go off-road (only onto grass or rougher paths though, nothing extreme).

Can anyone offer me any tips/advice? Also, where do you go for the scooters? I’ve already got my car through Motability, so I’ll need to pay for this myself, I’ve had a look online and there are a few dealers there.

Thanks,

Luisa x

I think you might struggle to find a scooter that does everything you want. The only way a scooter can go over even semi-rough terrain is if it a decent amount off the ground and has a good engine - those two things usually mean it will be big and heavy :frowning:

I’m sure someone on here has a trailer that they tow their scooter in. Perhaps that would be an option? If it would be too expensive, you might be able to get a grant from the MSS?

Karen x

Hi Luisa,

The two features that you mention: light and transportable plus ability to cope with rough terrain are I am afraid mutually exclusive.

Lots of scooters will dismantle to go in a car boot but they don’t have the umph to cope with much more than shopping malls and flat pavements.

Lots of scooter will cope with rough paths and grass but won’t go in a car.

The TGA Superlight RWD has got good traction on grass and will break up but it is probably still too heavy for you to lift on your own and won’t cope with rough paths.

I have a Sterling Emerald (the Diamond would be better) but it won’t go in a car. I have to plan my routes on Google Earth and can only go where I can get to from home.

Quite a few country parks hire out Trampers. You could take the dog and go commune with nature that way.

Jane

Thanks for your replies and advice - I hadn’t thought of a trailer, but I think that could be an option - as for the rough ground - one option I have is to take the dog along the beach promenade, which is pretty flat, but goes 2 or 3 miles, so that would be a decent length of a walk for him, albeit on the lead, if I park at one end (there’s a ramp down to it from the road) and walk the dog the length of the beach and back, which is sooooo not something I’m capable of on foot any more. I’d already kind of ruled out forest walks, I think the terrain would be just too rough - also, it doesn’t matter how dry the day is, my dog will find mud, it’s a talent of his. Unfortunately, to get him a decent walk, we really would have to go somewhere - where I live is a small collection of houses on a steep hill, which I think would also cause problems for a scooter.

Luisa x

One thing l have experienced with scooters - is even the light weight ones that break down to go in the car - they all seem to do well on inclines. l do have a special trailer for my Tramper - but it is not something l could do on my own. You can get ramps to help get the smaller scooters into the back of an estate car. lf you had a three-wheeler - you would need - obviously, three ramps. Most small scooters have handle-bars/front forks that can be lowered and the seat can be removed to lighten the load. Some vehicles can actually take a person in a wheel-chair up a ramp into the back - so should also work with a scooter.

l know when the Tramper mechanic comes to service mine - he often has 3 Trampers in his VW van - and he just uses ramps.

Whatever scooter you decide on - they do need to be used as much as possible. The batteries last longer the more you use and recharge them. l did have a scooter where the batteries lasted 11yrs. l go out three times a day - in all weathers.

One advantage of a lightweight scooter is if you do get stuck anywhere they are light enough to heave out of trouble. l have had several scooters in the last 25yrs. lt was only last year that l actually traded in my old secondhand Tramper and splashed out on a brand-new one. Before then l only ever paid about £500 for a good second-hand one.

As someone suggested - look online and see if any of the stately homes/parks etc loan out Trampers and see if you can go and have a try.

F.

Hi Louisa.

If you are going down the trailer route, google, “Bateson Trailers”.

They manufacture a large range of trailers from small, to industrial, I found them very helpful with advice, and delivery was direct to my door, the trailers are fully assembled ready to go, just need to add your own number plate.

I have one of their trailers with a drop down loading ramp, I just drive my scooter straight on, no hassle at all, very easy. (The loading ramp is hinged to the back of the trailer, and is not heavy to lift up and down).

As Campion said above, Tramper Scooters, have there own dedicated trailers, but I think this is the only one, that does this.

All others need an after market trailer, (ie), like Bateson Trailers.

Disclaimer: I have no connection or interest in “Bateson Trailers” other than a satisfied customer.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Thanks again for all the useful info - one of my friends uses a scooter and actually has two - a lightweight one and a not so lightweight one. I’m going to see him tomorrow to have a shot of his scooters to see how I get on.

L