Forum

Medication for motion sickness

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone has any advice, please.

My husband and I are going away on Monday and during our holiday (Iceland) hope to go whalewatching. He gets seasick very easily. I am a little better in that respect, but still don’t like too much up and down on a boat! I am on Gabapentin.

At the pharmacy last night, we bought some Kwells for his use (hyoscine hydrobromide) but the pharmacist said I should speak to my GP for advice before I took any Kwells. They knew which medicines I was on, because we picked up prescriptions for me at the same time.

We go on Monday early. I haven’t got time to contact the GP.

I am inclined to go ahead and take the Kwells, possibly missing the morning dose of Gabapentin. I have taken motion sickness pills years ago when on Gabapentin, although not such a high dose - now on 3 x 300mg a day, with no ill effects.

Gabapentin is also prescribed for epilepsy, I think, and I can imagine that would be bad mix with motion sickness medication and possibly dangerous. Pharmacist did not know for which condition I am on this medication.

Has anyone any experience of this or suggestions, please?

Anyone used anything else when on Gabapentin?

thanks

Gill

Hello Gill

Is it a big boat or a small one? You may find you aren’t seasick at all. The larger boats don’t tend to move so much so sea sickness is less likely.

But in any case, can’t the pharmacist look through your medication list and make an informed judgement as to what drugs go with your regular prescription drugs? Our local pharmacist did for me recently.

Otherwise, get some travel sickness wrist bands. Apparently they can work quite well. I have no idea how they work, but a non drug remedy might be the answer.

Enjoy your trip. I hope you see some wonderful sights. Iceland is on my list of places I’d like to see.

Sue

I took this information from the interaction checker - Gabapentin: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com

What other drugs will affect gabapentin?

Taking gabapentin with other drugs that make you sleepy can worsen this effect. Ask your doctor before taking a sleeping pill, narcotic medication, muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety, depression, or seizures.

Other drugs may interact with gabapentin, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.

From what I remember, Stugeron works well if taken in advance of a voyage and Kwells were used if actually seasick. Ginger is supposed to be a natural remedy. Try not to spend any time down below if the sea is rough and keep focused on the horizon, which should be easy if you are whale watching.

You are going to love Iceland and the whales are sure to be out in force celebrating a very fine draw today.

Ginger works wonders for travel sickness. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Hello. Thanks for your replies. We are now finishing the packing.