Magnesium

I am yet to be Diagnosed with anything…still waiting to see neuro…but…

I was feeling so bad I was looking for something to help and decided to take magnesium supplements, 2 x 350 a day. Went and got them from the chemist and after taking them for a week or so, the only symptoms I had left was the on and off pain in my left leg and the odd tingle here and there. However, I did also develop the ability to fart copiously. Quite amusing to a point for those in ear shot, but not ideal. I read that difficulty in absorbing the tablets in the gut can cause this, so decided to stop and see what happens. What happens is I now feel awful again, having not taken one tonight… Tingling in torso, aching back… Maybe a coincidence, but I’m laying here at 3 AM writing this wondering if I should go and eat one.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Hi

Magnesium pills are known to have a loosening effect on the bowels. However, you can get magnesium spray. It’s more expensive of course, but at least you won’t have any problems with windy-pops : )

Dan

2 Likes

I would definitely eat one. I take magnesium but quite a low dose, I find it’s good for neuralgia, pains in the head. That’s quite a high dose. Is it Magnesium Oxide or sterate, or something else. I’ll have to up my dose. I really wouldn’t care about the wind, if it keeps your symptoms at bay (and everyone else :slight_smile: ).

Good luck with it.

2 Likes

Decided to take 1 at night, but it is causing more discomfort in the stomach, so may have to try an oil instead.

i use an oil.

it really works, it is absorbed faster through the skin.

and i don’t fart, being a lady!

carole x

2 Likes

Several types of magnesium - some work as a laxative - this is what Epsom Salts is made from. Just look up on good old google for the right type to take.

Magnesium Citrate will upset your tum

Magnesium Malate is OK - so is Glycinate and L-Thearonate -

We need magnesium and Vitd3 together - also VitK2.

There is a supplement made especially for us with MS - lt is called MSSential- lt contains 35 Vits and Minerals and nutrients that is recommended for us - but the daily dose is 6 - tablets. Saves having all the bottles. The magnesium this contains is Glycinate.

Look it up - and read the contents on the label.

The magnesium oil is well absorbed into the skin - so does work well. Massage it in at bedtime into painful joints and muscles.

1 Like

Hi space

Just looked up the MSSential. A bit of everything in there… On the site I looked at they work out to approx £25 for 180 tablets…so a months worth…quite pricey. Do you think they bring tangible benefits.

I got some magnesium the other day, magnesium oxide 250mg. Bottle says helps bones and teeth, reduces tiredness and fatigue.

I looked online and common possible side effects of magnesium oxide are

• Diarrhea
  • Cramping

Hey,

Thanks for the advice omn Magnesium. I have upped my dose to 300 mg and feel a lot better.

Thanks.

Magnesium is an interesting mineral. The form of magnesium you ingest is very important. Some work well for certain conditions, others do not. Some, like magnesium citrate are irritating to the lining of the digestive tract. This form is commonly used as a laxative or ‘prep’ to clear your bowels for surgery, or x-ray tests of the bowels. Another, magnesium oxide, is so poorly absorbed [approx. 4%] that if you were to take a 250 mg tablet, you would absorb only 10 mg. Magnesium taurate [magnesium chelated to the amino acid taurine] is very well absorbed with no laxative effect and the taurine is important for cardiac function. Magnesium glycinate [chelated to the amino acid glycine] is also very absorbed with no laxative affect and the glycine is used by the brain and kidneys [among other organs]. Magnesium malate and magnesium threonate are also both well tolerated by the gut and well absorbed. For a severely compromised digestive system there is topical magnesium chloride hexahydrate [Ease®] and an oral picometer ionic magnesium solutiion [ReMag®]. The latter is a solution with magnesium ions in the picometer range [1000x smaller than a nanometer or 1,000,000,000x smaller than a millimeter]. These last two magnesium supplements do not require a working digestive system to be assimilated by the body. The Ease® is absorbed almost entirely through the skin, and the ReMag® mixed with water and sipped throughout the day, is passively absorbed through all mucous membranes lining the digestive tract, beginning with the oral mucosa. Because of this highly absorbable nature of ReMag® much of this magnesium is absorbed before it even reaches the stomach! It also is able to passively enter cells and slip through the blood-brain barrier. Always take vitamin D3 [cholecalciferol] and K2 [MK-7 form] when supplementing with calcium and magnesium. It helps the body in proper utilization of these minerals, and will help prevent soft tissue calcification. Liposomal vitamin D3 with K2 is very well absorbed. The liposome ‘envelope’ helps the nutrients to pass through the cell membrane. I’ve heard people say, “You are what you eat.” But that’s not entirely true. I say, “You are what you are able to get into your cells.” You see, for the most part, there is little benefit from nutrients in our digestive tract that we are not assimilating; likewise nutrients in our blood that are not getting into the cells have little value as well. The most absurd thing I heard from a medical doctor recently was about the importance of a low fat diet with MS. Counterintuitive. Progressive degradation of the myelin sheath is the hallmark of MS. The myelin sheath is composed of mostly fat. So to reverse the MS we need to heal the myelin sheath. If we are limiting our intake of fats, then where is the body going to get the fats it needs for the building blocks to effect the repair?

@ Health living Tech. I wonder if this post could be regarded as “Blatant Advertising” by the powers to be ? Theres a good few brand names in your post ! I’m all for letting people know what products or supplements are good, bad or a waste of time, so this post does not bother me at all. So on that note, I would like to add that I’ve tried various types of magnesium over the years and have not seen a benefit at all in my MS symptoms. The last type I tried was Chelated Magnesium Magnesium (as bisglycinate+, oxide) 100mg, 4 x daily, all it did was give me the most throbbing headaches and stiff neck, within days of stopping the headaches and stiff neck disappeared. I thought this odd as all the other Magnesiums I’ve tried did nothing, good or bad, so about a week later I went back onto this particular Magnesium again to see if it was just a coincidence, but hey presto, exact same type of headache and stiff neck… I know it wasn’t the actual brand (Solga) as I’ve only ever used this brand when buying any type of Magnesium. So thats me done with Magnesium I think. The very first thing my neuro advised when he first diagnosed my MS was “take D3 and change to a low fat Mediterranean diet”. The D3 bit is easy, it comes in a bottle, but changing diet I can find difficult to follow if I’m honest !

2 Likes

Healthy Living Tech

Fascinating. Intrigued how you came upon all the information. I didn’t realise that the myelin sheath could be healed. The world does seem to have gone low fat mad (with the products often having too much sugar instead), it can be irritating to hunt for non low fat whereas a well balanced diet with well balanced quantities should surely be the aim for all.

P.S. Blue capped milk is scrummy compared with green or red capped.

The myelin sheath is indeed made up of fatty substances, but I would of thought that if it were as simple as upping your fat content to help with myelin reproduction we would all be few stone heavier but kicking the MS into the side lines ?

PS.

Gold cap is even scrummier, especially if you make a homemade rice pudding out of it

Please don’t ask for me to be thrown out of the forum but I’m one of those allegedly strange people who fight to keep up a decent weight. Maybe I eat too healthily … so gold cap milk and rice pudding here I come!!!

1 Like

I have a medical background and have studied nutrition for many years. I worked in hospitals in various technical capacities for over 20 years. I will be 64 in October and have had broad life experiences. I have been extensively researching magnesium for about two years now [several hours a day]. There are many excellent sources of information on magnesium out there. One of the top sources for natural medical/health information, in my opinion, is greenmedinfo.com. Sayer Ji, the website founder and major researcher for the site does an outstanding job of putting together articles based on pubmed and medline database searches. There is a clinical trial going on right now for a pharmaceutical that is purported to regrow the myelin sheath in mice. We’ll see what the trade-off is, in terms of side effects, hopefully, as a result of this clinical trial. Sorry that my posts are all crammed together. The forum won’t allow me to separate the post into paragraphs for easier reading. An easy way to avoid low-fat is stay away from processed foods. Because fat provides a lot of the flavors of food, when processing it to remove/reduce the fat, food processors will add sugar, artificial flavors, or monosodium glutamate [all unhealthy additives] to the food to increase flavor and palatability. Yes, balance and moderation are important keys in optimizing nutrition. [there are exceptions, of course]

You’re right jactac. It’s not as simple as “upping your fat content” for several reasons. But that’s not to say that healthy fats are not important in healing the myelin sheath. First of all, not all fats are created equal. A balance of omega-3s and omega-6s is important. But before we can be healed it is important to dramatically reduce the inflammation, and stop the attacks on the myelin. Otherwise, it will be like trying to put out a barn fire with a bucket. There’s a lot more to it, but this is a good start to responding to your question.

I’m just another guy on the forum, just like you, jactac. I’m hardly the powers that be. I have no financial ties to these products. They are ones I use, and in my experience and opinion, are more effective and better formulated than the many other products I have researched. Your experience with magnesium not working for you may be dose related, or you may have digestive issues that prevent you from absorbing the magnesium. If the latter is the case, then the ReMag® product would be just what you need. Your experience with the bis-glycinate form of magnesium is a good example of how different magnesium compounds work better for particular maladies. Obviously, bis-glycinate is not a form you want to use with yours. But I wouldn’t be so quick to write-off magnesium’s potential to help you. You haven’t found the form and dose that works for you yet. With magnesium-deficient soils being used to grow our food these days, most people are deficient, and supplementing magnesium is critical, especially when your digestive system is inefficient in absorbing nutrients. I sincerely believe we’d also see less heart attacks and cardiac arrhythmias if more people would optimize their magnesium levels.

BTW, piperine, a compound found in black pepper, is found to exponentially increase the absorption of many nutrients when taken with them. In fact, some supplement manufacturers are beginning to add it to their formulations. I would be sure to use freshly-ground black pepper with turmeric [a potent anti-inflammatory] as it is very poorly absorbed in the gut. While I’m on the subject of turmeric, please source your turmeric carefully as much of the turmeric on the market is contaminated with lead and other heavy metals.I purchase mine from the Health Ranger store. Mike Adams, the owner, has a non-profit, state-of-the-art mass spec [ICP-MS] lab where he tests products for heavy metals, glyphosate, pesticides, and other toxins. All of the products he sells in his store are tested and rated. You can also send him other products: hair, water, food, supplements, etc for testing as well. I feel safer sourcing my turmeric here, knowing I’m not adding to my heavy metals body burden

Vitamin D3 [cholecalciferol] is important! But you should also be taking vitamin K2 [MK7 or menaquinone form]. for proper utilization of calcium and magnesium. The three work in synergism and need to be taken together.