Magnesium

I’ve toyed around with Magnesium supplements many times over the past few years but never really noticed any benefit.

Apparently if taking D3 you need Magnesium alongside it, but when I put this to my GP and Neuro they both more or less dismissed it.

The Neuro said I would be wasting my money on Magnesium as I would be urinating out any surplus that the body does not need, and the GP said that because I’m not deficient in Magnesium it’s rather pointless taking a supplement !

So is it really worth taking Magnesium alongside D3 if blood tests do not show a deficiency ?

The last time I tried Magnesium (chelated), it seemed to coincide with me getting rather bad headaches, stiff neck and nasuea ?

Might of been a coincidence but when I Googled “too much Magnesium” the symptoms where very similar to mine at the time ?

Any opinions appreciated.

I got relief from spasms at night by taking a magnesium supplement.

Anthony

1 Like

I get a tad confused by spasms versus spasticity. I class a spasm as a sudden jerky movement, wheres as spasticity maybe a stiffness tensing of the muscles. When ever I’ve asked my physio for an explanation all she says is they are both from the same sort of area. I cant really recall Magnesium helping in either if I’m honest ?

You’re both right.

A spasm is a sudden involuntary contraction and spasticity is muscle that is permanently contracted.

They both happen in the muscles.

Regards,

Anthony

I take it for neuralgia on my head. It got rid of it. Don’t listen to your doctor when it comes to MS, especially supplementation.

My neurologist was really annoyed that I wasn’t taking any medication and we agreed that if I had 5+ new ones since my last MRI that I should start on a new one. I don’t have any new ones. All I take is supplementation.

Thanks.

try a magnesium spray because it may not upset your tum and things hit the spot faster if applied transdermally.

holland and barrett do one.