look at me, not the chair!

Hi, just read the post re folk telling us we look well, when we might feel like that inside.

I received a helluva rotten insult last week.

I was out with sis, 5 years my senior, but a very trim, and trendy soon to be 65 year old.

We met an old work colleague of hers who asked, Is this your mother!`

HUH! My gob has never been so smacked!

I wear bright, fashionable clothes, have my hair styled and coloured reugularly and thought I was looking ok for a soon to be 60 year old.

I asked the perpitrator if she actually meant that, and she said Well, I dont know, do I?`

And here`s me convinced that my overweight, smiley face was hiding the age related wrinkles.

Humph!

Maybe this was a case of Joe Public seeing our wheelchairs and not what`s in them, eh? I hope so anyroad!

luv Pollx

Now Polly, I’ve meet you, I can say to anyone that reads this post, that Polly is a very trendy scooter user, so I can only say, she should have gone to spec savers, take care, Luv Jean x

Yeh, right Jean…you tell `em for me!

luv Pollx

Thanks Claire for your support…united we stand…or should that be sit?..or wheel? oh you know what I mean!

luv Pollx

Hi It is amazing how people see or don’t see you very differently when your in a wheelchair.

I find it quite amazing, the difference between when I have to use my chair or when I’m able to walk. I always have eye contact with people that I walk past and smile towards them. My husband always take the micky out of me for being too friendly, but it is very, very rare if I do not receive a nice smile back.

I could not believe the change when I first had to use my chair. I had read comments from others, saying how you become invisible if you are in a wheelchair, but was still amazed at how quickly you do become totally unseen.

The very first time I realised was on my first venture out when my husband was pushing me round a local park, which has lots of friendly dog walkers etc and I was being my normal smiley self. It wasn’t long before I realised that not one person looked down towards me and were instead looking right over me towards my hubby.

Shop assistants do the same, even when its me that puts the item onto the counter and initiates the first contact, they still look over me and talk to hubby again. It doesn’t bother me in the least, but just find the difference in human behaviour very interesting. All the best - Equus

Hi Poll,

I remember a while back since I went into a shop to buy a pair of shoes, I was at this point having trouble walking but not using a stick. I found a pair I liked the look of and looked around for somewhere to sit to try them on…nothing! There I was trying to stand on one leg to get my shoe off and along came a lady in a wheelchair, she asked me if I could get a pair of shoes down for her that were far to high for her. So I just replied of course I can but can I then sit on your lap to try these on? We both laughed and laughed and admitted we were glad we’d bumped into each other. Just thought it may make you laugh.

Luv Janet

xx

Hi Poll, honestly you would think people would watch what they say, however that aside, you sound very fashionable to me and Janet I love your story, lol. Cheryl:-)

The title of the post ‘Look at me, not the chair!’ has really resonated with me. Few months ago I went to the doctor to get something to help me sleep. I thought I was going to see my new GP (my usual GP retired) but as it happens you normally get to see whoever happens to be available, so still have not met my GP. Anyway, my turn comes, female doctor calls my name and appears from round the corner. Instead of looking at me, she gazes firmly at my legs never moving her head up. I walk without any aids, albeit with difficulty but if I’m rested I’m fine. So for those few seconds, for the first time I felt like a label rather than a person. Needless to say, i’d rather not see this doctor if I can help it. If medical practitioners carry all those preconceptions than what hope is there for ordinary members of the public?

as Im waiting for my wheelchair, this is the thing that fills me with dread, Im not just a wheelchair, Im a person thats raised 5 kids slogged my gutsout all my life, yes Im disabiled, but i have a brain and a gob, so god help the people that look at the chair and not me, think Ill wear hot pants and stillettos when i first go out in it

I have thought of designing a ‘novelty’ hat with a large red arrow and sign that says ‘I’m here!’

Also thought of designing a ‘noise machine’ for my wheelchair/scooter that makes it sound like a steam engine - then perhaps people will avoid me instead of trying to walk straight through me!! (The hooters on these things do not work when in a noisy environment, I find it easier to just ball “EXCUES ME” at the top of my voice.)

The only up side of being in a wheelchair or scooter is that you get lovely smiles from children in pushchairs as they are on your level. I’ve also got an old muff with a dogs face on it and their parents can’t understand when they keep saying ‘doggie’.

We are not the faceless ones and must keep reminding people with no brains that there is another ‘species’ included in the human race - US.

Good luck to all, Ann.

I`ve loved reading all my replies. Some great, true, stories there!

AnnAlf, I like the sound of the hat.

Lally, yes do wear the hot pants and heels. What a stunner you`ll look! No-one could ignore you then!

Do you know what? We should all meet up, sing, shout and laugh, whislte…whatever…we`d get noticed then.

luv Pollx