wheelchair confince - or lack of

I’ve just been in to town in my new powerchair on the Access Bus. Last week I went to Morrisons with all the old ladies or should I say OAP Mafia. Boy how those old dears grumble if their schedule is slightly interrupted. This week they sent a bus just for me, in-between 2 supermarket runs so I didn’t have to put up with the killing looks as the driver took time to fasten me and the chair in.

It was fun in town in my chair but it was very busy. I am getting better at driving and most people are lovely and helpful but I find that I still lack confidence. I would like to go for a coffee but it just seems too daunting, asking someone to carry my cup and finding a place at a table. I keep telling myself that I have as much right to be there as anyone else but I am still hesitant.

When I go out with my daughter she just takes charge and we do all sorts but I’m a bit of a ditherer on my own. I’m going to keep plugging away at it though because I really want the independence of going to town on my own. Have other newish w/chair users experienced the same lack of confidence and how did you overcome it?

Jane

Don’t you just love that title?

I wish this forum gave you the chance to edit your own posts then I could put “confidence” and not look like an idiot!

Jan*

Whats a ‘de’ btw**n frin*s?!

Nothing! unno about othrs but I am au fait with talking an* spaking with missing ltt*rs!

lli x

If you ae buying a coffee then I would think the best plan is asking the staff to carry it over for you. Or try somewhere that still has old fashioned table service to start with. Am sure once you have done it a few times it will get easier. Good luck!

Lol the curse of the missing letters got me too…and that was after reading through twice!!!

I know how you feel. jane, when I first started to use my powered wheelchair I was rubbish. I had a few embarrassing moments in coffee shops pushing tables across the room or driving between chairs and dragging one with me. Luckily I had my hubby with me and he is now my scout and checks where we are going is access friendly. I have been out down to our village shops on my own and it was fine but I haven’ t been as brave as you yet and travelled on a bus. I am a better driver now since I had to sit in it every day for 2 weeks, when my balance went very bad for that time . Now I maneuver quite well, as for the moaner out there who find wheelchair users a bother, well I smile brightly at them and ask them how they are today and most of them smile and chat back the others who don’t just look embarrassed. Hope you’re keeping well today. Lynne xx

I know how you feel. jane, when I first started to use my powered wheelchair I was rubbish. I had a few embarrassing moments in coffee shops pushing tables across the room or driving between chairs and dragging one with me. Luckily I had my hubby with me and he is now my scout and checks where we are going is access friendly. I have been out down to our village shops on my own and it was fine but I haven’ t been as brave as you yet and travelled on a bus. I am a better driver now since I had to sit in it every day for 2 weeks, when my balance went very bad for that time . Now I maneuver quite well, as for the moaner out there who find wheelchair users a bother, well I smile brightly at them and ask them how they are today and most of them smile and chat back the others who don’t just look embarrassed. Hope you’re keeping well today. Lynne xx

That was my shaky fingers fault lol.

Thanks Lynne,

I’m glad it’s not just me! I think I’m too worried about making a tit of myself and I should cast this off. If people don’t like it - tough on them!!!

Jane

I use the shopmobility scooters in town where I live and have had a few crashes about in various shops - I always try and make a joke of it though as the problem is invariably caused by checkouts crowded out by display shelves and boxes of xmas paper. I’ve also learnt to turn the speed down as low as possible in shops so there’s not danger of getting out of control. I find lifts are the trickyest to deal with and get relly annoyed when none of the automatic shopping centre doors are working!

I use the shopmobility scooters in town where I live and have had a few crashes about in various shops - I always try and make a joke of it though as the problem is invariably caused by checkouts crowded out by display shelves and boxes of xmas paper. I’ve also learnt to turn the speed down as low as possible in shops so there’s not danger of getting out of control. I find lifts are the trickyest to deal with and get relly annoyed when none of the automatic shopping centre doors are working!

I have had my powerchair for 5 years now, so I am used to it. I go on the Access bus every Saturday to look round the shops and then buy a few things at Morrissons. I go in cafes and have never had to ask an assistant to take it to a table for me, they just ask me where I want to sit and bring it. I carry a shopping bag at the back of my chair, and when I buy anything I just ask the assistants to put the things there, I have never had a problem at all, people are so willing to help me in shops.

By the way, I enjoy the banter with the old ladies as I am 71yrs myself.

I do hope that you persevere with your outings on the Access bus, the freedom is wonderful

Muriel