Successfully used a wheelchair!

And I am so happy tonight! Went running into the city all day with Mum and the girls. Did a lot of walking for a few hours with my cane, so when we stopped at Ikea, Mum insisted I get a wheelchair and she’d push me around.

“Mum, you’re 80. You’re not pushing me through this massive building.” Well, she and Nora took turns, but mostly I wheeled myself! I never thought I’d have the arm strength, but I did well. I had to stop here and there to rest my arms, but I was able to maneuver around corners and go backwards without running into anything. It just makes me feel really good.

I know that by the time I need one full time, I may not have the arm strength to move myself around, but this was a great learning experience, and I just feel a sense of relief.

5 Likes

Hi Norasmum, was that the first time you used a wheelchair? how did you feel? Ive not yet got to the situation of needing a chair but I think it may be soon if I go shopping or out for a “walk”. I know i felt self conscious when I first started using a crutch

It took me a long time to use sticky regularly. I used to carry a fold up version in my bag and stagger round like a fool rather than use the damn stick :roll_eyes: Crazy! I haven’t used a wheelchair at all (yet) but I do have an Alinker which is flaming marvellous for getting about!

What a great positive post. I fought to not use a wheelchair until my wife told me that we would both have a crappy time at the garden centre if I did not ignore my stupid male pride. We had a great time, even laughed when she tried to push me over a small ledge and nearly ejected me from the chair! We both learned a lot and now I am happy to use a wheelchair when appropriate. You’d have thought I’d learned the “stupid stubborn boy” thing when I needed to use a cane and the same again with a rollator. It does not matter how old I get, my skull is very thick. :smiley:

1 Like

Well done, first time using a wheelchair is scary.
Chairs can be easy to manoeuvre once you get the hang of them. Gives you independence. Often use mine at parties or somewhere where my scooter would be difficult to use. Put a drinks holder on it. Essential at a party.
Glad your experience was good.
Take care
Jen

Aside from 4 times riding in one at hospital, yes, it’s the first time I used one. I was furious when I found out Mum went behind my back to get this one. I’m okay! I can walk! I don’t need this! But I also didn’t want to cause a scene, and I knew that she meant well. So I sat in it. And it was comfortable. And I realized that no one was looking at me funny or whispering behind their hands.

At first, she and Nora were hovering over me like I was a sick person, but I was so mortified at the idea of my mother pushing me around that I was determined to give it a go on my own. And that’s when I found out how liberating it was. We all had a much better time because, like Mick, I swallowed my stupid pride and just let myself enjoy the situation. I was the only one not worn out by the time we left, and I was able to make jokes about it all.

I will definitely be willing to do this again and won’t hesitate when wheelchairs are offered in other stores.

I first used a mobility scooter when I went to Monkey World (that’s a sanctuary for chimps, orangutans, gibbons, lemurs and other primates in England NM - it’s brilliant). I’d never have managed it without wheels. But I was so self conscious, I wouldn’t allow anyone to take my photo while I was in it.

Then later my husband insisted that we buy a second hand wheelchair ‘for when we need it’. I only used it a few times, generally when we were away from home. I hated that too.

Eventually I had to get one from wheelchair services. I’m still not that keen but can’t live without a ‘chair now. Literally, my legs packed up about 9 years ago and for a few years the most I could manage was about 10 metres. Nowadays I can’t do one metre, let alone 10. It’s as much as I can do just to transfer.

Well done to you for successfully using a wheelchair. I bet everyone was staring at you? Not! It affects the user so much more than anyone else. Unless you run over their toes, children or pets.

Sue

2 Likes

Interesting to hear Sue, I can identify with some of this stuff. I hated needing a stick, I resisted using a rollator and had a hissy fit about using a wheelchair. I even hung back from a mobility scooter. At each of these times once I got past my ridiculous resistance I realised how each of these tools make my life easier and better, this makes me happier and nicer to know. Everyone is a winner.
Mick

1 Like

The first time I walked to my village with a stick I really genuinely thought everyone on my road was staring at me. I felt more self conscious than I had for years.

It was like one of those dreams when you find yourself without any clothes on below the waist walking down the high street.

Sue x

Scarey on various levels ! :flushed:

I bought myself a rollator today! Now, it’s not my dream version, but I found it for 3 USD at our local thrift store, and it seems to work just fine. I couldn’t pass it up. It’s a little beat up, but it has a padded seat, a bag underneath to hold things, and it folds easily.

Who would have thought I’d ever get excited about medical supplies?!

1 Like

Result !

$3? Bargain. Well done NM. You might be able to tart it up a bit, paint it maybe?

Sue

Actually, Ssssue, I think some good ol’ soap and water and maybe some polish might be all it needs. None of the vinyl trim is cracked, and it really looks like it didn’t get much use. I want my boy to check it out thoroughly before I use it to make sure I didn’t miss something obvious like the brakes don’t work!

I am really on a roll here! A cousin from another state will be passing through next month and wants to bring me the wheelchair ramp he bought for his late mother! His brothers will be with him, and they’ll set it up for me.

I am so excited about the whole thing! For one, it’s a free ramp. For two, I saw 2 of the boys last October, but I haven’t seen the third one since 1981. Going by major highways, they’re about 464 km or 6 1/2 hours away, so visits have been few and far between since our grandparents died.

2 Likes

That’s great news. Relatives and resources. :slight_smile:

I bought some flower transfers to put on my walker to make it look different. People always comment on them. Takes away the embarrassment of having to state the obvious! Ha.

Jen

I’m really pleased for you! :woman_in_manual_wheelchair: