Living help

I am moving out of my parents house, I crave independence. I am looking for products that would make living alone easier for me - this varies from easy to use cooking utensils to clothing, any ideas?

Hi, it might be a good idea to ask an OT to visit. They will do a recky of the house, ask how you manage different things and then make suggestions of what can make life easier and safer.

I found them to be really good…they think of things we dont!

You could also look on sites for disabled items for sale. Sometimes they can be quite pricey and you may be able to find similar items in cheaper shops!

Good luck with the independence!

pollx

2 Likes

If you already have a place of your own then Boudica,s suggestion is the best.

As for clothing, depends of your own personal difficulties but it is possible to buy shirts with press stud fasteners instead of buttons or a much cheaper option is an old fashioned button hook if applicable. Trousers specially tailored to suit wheelchair users are available too but again pretty expensive.

Have you considered Assistance dogs ? Depends if you like dogs and if they could actually do things you need help with.

If you are in a wheelchair then worktops at the right height are really helpful.

It is difficult to be specific without knowing the things you have difficulty and need help with but as before the OT,s will be a great start point and also have ability to get some helpful things for you like perching chair etc.

Good luck with your plans

Ell

They helped me already thanks! Bars everywhere.

I was wondering if there were any items in particular that would help, that people have to help them? As when I look online I see many products but I am scared to jump in and do not want to waste money really. I would like to cook but I need accessories to help make it easier for me. Can’t live on takeaways! Lol

Hi Dan

I think the problem with your question is that it’s a bit vague. We all have a variety of disabilities and therefore use many different aids to help with daily life.

So the question is not so much ‘what do you want to do?’ but, ‘what are your disabilities and what do you want to do?’

For example, if you are able to walk but not stand for long, and would like to cook, then one solution is likely to be a perching stool (probably provided from OT). Also, if you would like to cook but have trouble with your hands, then handles for knives might come in handy and/or chopping board mats so the boards don’t slip. You might also want or need a kettle tipper if you have trouble picking up the kettle and pouring from it.

Or, if you are a wheelchair user, then it’s all about having worktops, cookers etc at the right height. Plus ways of toting items around your kitchen, such as food to be prepared. This might be an issue if you can walk but only with crutches or a walker too.

If your occupational therapist has been helping you to make your new living quarters suitable, then you might find it easiest to talk through all of these things with him/her.

Otherwise, if you were to explain more about what you have trouble with, people on the forum might be able to suggest things they find useful around the house.

Sue

1 Like

hi dan

what kind of cooking do you want to do?

slow cooking? buy a slow cooker.

roast dinner? toasted sandwich? soup?

so please give us more details.

carole x

Hi all and you are totally right my question is too vague.

So my disabilities range which is why I was trying not to put myself in a situation where I would get depressed. My main symptoms is my balance (I walk around my house, I get by), my hands tremor (Cannot make a sandwich). Theres more but i dont need to say.

I guess I make many oven prepared already meals but i want to try making stir frys for instance and soups. The OT will help me create a situation to make this easier but I want to be able to do more and I was wondering if you know of products which can help me?

I buy already chopped goods like onions for example but as i search tthe intanet, i was wondering if you know of a good website? to find easier goods to help me live independantly

x

Hi

Slow cookers are good, just chuck everything in and leave for a few hours.

Jacket potatoes, tins with pull top lids.

Litter pickers for picking up things dropped, a short reach one is handy, most pickers are long.

Remote controlled plugs and switches.

Lowered kitchen worktops if your in a wheelchair.

Aids to get dressed and washed.

Walk in shower with seat or wet room.

Make sure a trusted relative, friend or neighbour has a key to your house in case of emergencies.

Perhaps a key safe which only trusted people know the code.

Try and keep a mobile phone with you at all times.

Disability aid sites are worth taking a look at for ideas.

Remember if you are purchasing disability aids for yourself you don’t pay VAT, with most sites having a form to declare your disability

Home deliver from most supermarkets so you can do your weekly shop online.

As Boudica says get the OT involved but remember it’s what you want.

You may be able to get a DFG ( Disabled Facilities Grant ) for major alterations.

Good luck.

Ronin.

1 Like

hi dan

i have a long handled dustpan and a long handled brush.

i got it from betterware because i remember my mum got one when her arthritis was bad.

now it’s my turn

carole x

good ideas! this is what im looking for! Carol/Ronin do you have anymore things to recommend?

I have a couple of suggestions for you Dan, these are not disabled aids, just more related to safe cooking, in particular cutting food up.

Firstly, get a nonslip chopping board or a nonslip mat to go under a chopping board. This makes cutting anything up so much safer. You can get them from a cookshop or try Amazon.

Also, if you’re cutting things up, e.g. for a stir fry, make sure your knives are sharp enough, you might think that you’re more likely to cut yourself on a sharp knife, but actually a blunt knife will slip more easily.

If you’re cutting up raw meat (assuming you eat meat), hold it in place with a fork rather than your fingers.

Try using a vegetable peeler to cut veg up to stir fry, it might be easier, plus you can get a peeler that cuts ‘julienne’ strips (like matchsticks).

Also try a mini chopper to cut things very small.

Use a big frying pan or a wok to stir fry, you can buy decent sauces and ready to use noodles. That way all you need is some vegetables and some protein (meat or a veggie alternative like quorn).

Happy stir frying.

Sue

Haha brillianty put! Thanks Sue

Hi again.

I can only use one hand so I use a Knorck.

It’s a cross with knife and fork.

A fork with a blunt knife on the outside prong, although not sharp.

You can get a CEA card which allows you to take a career with you for free.

A lot of places let the career go free.

So me and the missus get a cheap night at the cinema.

Web address www.ceacard.co.uk.

Ronin.

A non-electric rotary carpet sweeper (a Bissel or Ewbank) is useful for keeping on top of housework - much easier and lighter to use than a heavy vacuum cleaner (even a cordless one)

A “jar key” to break the seal on a jar is incredibly useful. A lot safer than the tips given on some websites to hit the side of the lid sharply on the worktop - that is just a one way ticket to A+E!!! You can get little silicone finger covers to protect your fingers when you are chopping veg etc. You pop them on the fingers you are using to steady the items you are chopping. I got mine from Lakeland who are brilliant for small kitchen gadgets

A gripper (like a litter picker) to help you pick things up without bending is also useful.