Forum

Let it go?

Hello everyone.

I’ve just been watching the news showing the devastation of the Cumbrian floods. Outside one house was an upright piano ruined by floodwater. It set me off thinking about my own piano. Even though I can’t play it anymore, I’d be devastated if any harm were to come to it. It’s been such a major part of my history. Now it sits alongside the sofa serving as a rather bulky extra shelf. I couldn’t bear to part with it.

I think it’s important, whether it’s photographs or large pianos, to have some sort of reminder of what we could do. It’s certainly helped me to look for new things I can do.

Best wishes, Steve.

2 Likes

I can understand that Steve. I’ll probably have to move in the not too distant future and I know I’ll have to get rid of a lot of my possessions and I’m dreading it already. I can’t hold a paperback book to read it without my hands cramping terribly yet I dread letting my very extensive collection of books go. I used to spend all I could afford to at car boot sales and charity shops. I have shelves of books I haven’t read yet. I can only read on my kindle now as I have a stand for it, and the books I buy are much thinner and with fewer characters as I lose the plot otherwise.

Isn’t it funny how things like concentration affect your hobbies as well as the physical limitations we have to put up with? I envy you being able to play musical instruments, I’d love to be able to play the piano, or even to sing, all I can manage is a painful wailing which disturbs my family but makes me happy. Do you play other instruments now? Take care

Cath x

Steve, I know exactly what you mean. I played semi-pro for the past 25 years and now have a lot of unplayed instruments hanging on the wall. I do intend to sell most of my guitars, but I’ll keep my very first one. I don’t think I can bear to part with my lovely old fiddle or my vintage Gibson mandolin or my mandola, a beautiful thing made for me by a friend who is a great luthier.

That first guitar has a great story. It’s a cheap nylon strung classical guitar. I sold it when I was at uni, to raise cash for a decent steel strung box. Two years later I started going out with the girl I sold it to, and three years after that I married her. So I got the guitar back, in a joint ownership fashion!

5 Likes

I bought a bike 10 years back and since last year it sat in the garage.

I started working part time for a charity which deals with old age, one thing they do is a workshop for male pensioners who have dementia , fixing bikes , i spoke to the young organiser said i had a bike, when he came to collect it he said it is brand new are you sure, said yes you get the change to fix anything wrong with it sell it and use the money for the workshop, i also dont need to look at it every time i go into my garage win win i said.

trish

Two years ago, I joined a creative writing group, and it has been brilliant. I don’t think I would have done that if I hadn’t lost so much mobility, as I would have been out gardening, dog walking, travelling, visiting friends around the country, etc. I’m not saying it’s a substitute, but at least I feel that some doors have opened to compensate for all the doors that have closed!

1 Like

Great stuff LyndaT & for all others with hobbies. Creative passions was a way of life for me. My problem has been getting away from some people trying to convert me to their beliefs. If I could run, I would be doing back to back marathons. If I was allowed to drive, I would relocate. Having MS has made me a sitting duck. I would be happy to get on with my hobbies. Some people have gone cuckoo & claim it’s me. I live alone by choice, so I’m an easy target for their option & opinion.

It’s great to read of people getting on with their lives with health problems. It shows true character.

Keep up with the proactive things.

1 Like