Keep dozing off

After 6 months of waiting I have finally had my knee op. I think it was wishful thinking that I would suddenly get my mobility back. Not the case although don’t have the pain now. So optimistic that things will improve once it heals. The thing that is a slight concern is that I am really tired during the day. I could quite easily snooze the day away. This doesn’t feel like MS fatigue, but of course I could be wrong. Just hope my get up and go comes back soon.

I’d go with the flow, set an alarm if you are wary of sleeping too long I’m sure your get up and go will come backM

2 Likes

Hi Seabird, I would think it’s your body…and MS…reaction to the surgery and the healing from surgery.

Remember, your immune system is compromised by MS (it’s always in hyper mode fighting MS damage because it reacts to it as a foreign body), so anything, a bug, a virus, or healing a wound, is going to have a big affect.

So go with it. Sleep when you sleepy. It’s your body trying to heal.

Hope you feel much better soon,

Pat xx

4 Likes

Hi Seabird,

It’s many years since I had an operation but the anesthetic affected me much more than was normal, apparently that’s par for the course with MS…just try to rest and doze when you need it…as Pat says it will all help you to heal.

Take care and best wishes,

Nina x

4 Likes

Hello, Seabird.

It takes me a few days to get over any disruption to my routine, nutrition or you name it. So after an operation I think it’s only natural. Of course it may force you to manage things with your sleepiness in mind. a pain if you like to be active. I’m sure your buzz will return in time. Remember how determined we are.

Best wishes, Steve.

4 Likes

I can always sleep and any extra disruption ng I have only just woken up from a nap bought on by a trip to the hospital today. Yes I know there is a strike on but I couldn’t really tell

Don

3 Likes

l had a total knee replacement op 2yrs ago - l had a spinal block - - which l was advised to have - the theatre staff chat with you all the time - and you can hear all the hammering and sawing. l felt very relaxed at not being ‘knocked out’.

lt is classed as major surgery - so do give your body time to get over it. You will need to put so much into all the exercises post -op - these are so important for a good outcome. My rollator was a great help - much easier and safer to get about with then walking sticks.

3 Likes

I second Spacejacket’s advice about doing the exercises. Where a live a few people have had knee or hip op’s and the ones who do the exercises make a full recovery.

Pat xx

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice. I have been doing the exercises and trying to keep mobile, but think I may have overdone it today as it is quite swollen (bring on the peas) and sore to walk on. Spacejacket, not sure I could have done this without a general, even with distractions from the theatre staff.

1 Like

I agree about the excersises, I know two people that have had knee replacements, one was fanatical about the excersises and she made a full recovery, she now rides competitively…the other, my mother in law, wouldn’t do them and had to have it done again but still she wouldn’t excersize so of course twenty years later she is still having problems!

Good Luck and don’t worry if you still need to sleep a lot, I’m sure you’ll get back to normal eventually!

Take care,

Nina x

3 Likes