how long dose it take to feel better after an anesthetic?

I had knee surgery last friday, as a day patient the op went well and i recovered well at the time.

Now a week later and i feel so fatigued i cant stay awake, is this a side efect of the anesthetic ? or just normal for someone who has had surgery.

The other thing that happemed is when i was given morphine as soon as it went in the vein it burned and my arm swelled went red and blotchy and it was very itchy the nurse had to put a cold wet cloth on my arm to bring down the swelling, so am i now allergic to iv morphine?.

Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them? thanks .

Barbara.xx

Hi Barbara You can expect the anaesthetic to take about 48 hours to fully leave your body depending on fitness and mobility, so I expect that the fatigue you are experiencing probably results from the surgery. Morphine can cause a burning sensation when it is introduced into the vein and can produce a skin reaction but an allergic reaction involves heart palpitations, increased BP and usually vomiting. Hope this helps and speedy recovery to you. Xx

Barbara, People tend to have differing reactions to anesthetic. Some come round straightaway with no problems - others are very sick and lethargic. l think a lot depends on the anesthetist. Recently, l have been in hospital for a total hip replacement - and l noticed how different folk were after their ops. l was advised to have a ‘spinal anesthetic’ as you do get over it much quicker - l was asleep all through the op - which was due to extensive damage to the ‘socket’ which did take more time to repair. l was told after a anesthetic you should keep sipping water - and try moving your limbs about as much as possible and breathe very deeply. This is to rid your lungs of the gases they use and get your blood circulating better. l had to start on blood thinning injections before the op and during my stay in hospital - then l had to continue for 4weeks afterwards doing them myself at home. And l have to wear those glamorous white stockings for 6weeks. As l am not supposed to bend forward [for 12weeks] l have to ask for help in getting them off and on to shower. l have become very proficient with one of those longhandled grippers and can get my pants and trousers on and off with them. lts amazing how many times l have dropped items like remote controls/phones etc and need to pick them up. There were several ladies who had knee replacement ops in the ward l was in - and like the hip op - you need to start exercising straightaway. They get you up and walking as soon as you have come round. l make myself get ‘going’ every hour - have a walk about with my rollator and do the exercises. l went back to the hospital yesterday for a 5week check up and the surgeon said l can start using my eliptical trainer to get my muscles working. l like this machine as it holds me upright and balanced - and l look as if l am walking ‘normally’. Whereas when l try to walk my left leg just drags along - which is why l have worn out my right hip/knee/ankle as it has had to do the work of two.

Hope you will start feeling better soon

Fx

Thanks , good to know that the reaction i had wwas normal for morphine, and i didnt have the other symtoms that you said, im feeling a bit better today not quite so exhausted, been ot on my scooter for the first time since the op, hoping that i will get back to how i was befor the surgery.

Barbara.xx

[quote=“Campion”]

Barbara, People tend to have differing reactions to anesthetic. Some come round straightaway with no problems - others are very sick and lethargic. l think a lot depends on the anesthetist. Recently, l have been in hospital for a total hip replacement - and l noticed how different folk were after their ops. l was advised to have a ‘spinal anesthetic’ as you do get over it much quicker - l was asleep all through the op - which was due to extensive damage to the ‘socket’ which did take more time to repair. l was told after a anesthetic you should keep sipping water - and try moving your limbs about as much as possible and breathe very deeply. This is to rid your lungs of the gases they use and get your blood circulating better. l had to start on blood thinning injections before the op and during my stay in hospital - then l had to continue for 4weeks afterwards doing them myself at home. And l have to wear those glamorous white stockings for 6weeks. As l am not supposed to bend forward [for 12weeks] l have to ask for help in getting them off and on to shower. l have become very proficient with one of those longhandled grippers and can get my pants and trousers on and off with them. lts amazing how many times l have dropped items like remote controls/phones etc and need to pick them up. There were several ladies who had knee replacement ops in the ward l was in - and like the hip op - you need to start exercising straightaway. They get you up and walking as soon as you have come round. l make myself get ‘going’ every hour - have a walk about with my rollator and do the exercises. l went back to the hospital yesterday for a 5week check up and the surgeon said l can start using my eliptical trainer to get my muscles working. l like this machine as it holds me upright and balanced - and l look as if l am walking ‘normally’. Whereas when l try to walk my left leg just drags along - which is why l have worn out my right hip/knee/ankle as it has had to do the work of two.

Hope you will start feeling better soon

Fx

[/quote] thanks campion ime feeling a bit better today been out for the first time , but still fell asleep this afternoon, hope that im on the mend now .

Barbara.xx

Onwards and upwards Barbara…once the improvement starts, it gathers a pace and you’ll soon be feeling good to go again. Xx

Thanks for posting this, as I exoect to be having an op in the not too distant future. I am now pre-warned about recovery time and GA`s.

Hope you feel better soon.

luv Pollx

[quote=“Boudica”]

Thanks for posting this, as I exoect to be having an op in the not too distant future. I am now pre-warned about recovery time and GA`s.

Hope you feel better soon.

luv Pollx

[/quote] Hope your op goes well poll, i spoke a bit too soon yesterday i feel dredfull today fatigued and in pain , oh well one day up and the next down, but thats life, take care Barbara xx

[quote=“crochunter”]

I do hope you feel better very soon hun.

luv Pollx