Forum

keep calm and carry on

Howdy guys and gals! Hope you`re all getting to grips with your Christmas pressy buying etc. I`ve dome mine now and they`re sitting prettily under our Christmas tree.

Wanna hear another tale of my escapades? This one is a bit of a doozy.even for me. Here goes:

On Saturday I went for my weekly outing with my carer (sis)...I do look forward to these trips.

We went to Brighouse (yeh, the one of Brighouse and Rastrick brass band fame). It`s a grand little town, if you`re ever passing.

We did our shopping and then headed off to a great pub for lunch. We particulalry like this place, as it has a stair lift and a good loo and lots of tables with good spaces around them.

So, we ordred our meal (haddock fish cake, chips and peas.....just to add to the picture), plus a lemonade (no ice) for me and a coke for sis. The drinks came....fine...........the meal came....waitress apologised for the wait.......no problem, I said.......the waitress then apologised for not bringing the cutlery and went off to get it...............fine...........wait for it, wait for it....................

she apologised again and proceeded to place the cutlery on the table...............she dropped my knife.......it landed right onto my lenonade glass......it smashed into many sharp pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The glass pieces and drink splattered into my lap, into my handbag, and all over me!!!! My sis jumped up , `Oh my sister!` she cried. I was just as shocked, but couldn`t move out of the way..for obvious reasons! I asked for the waitress for her towel, she became very upset and more apologetic. She said she didn`t do it on purpose.........I said I knew that....A supervisor arrived and asked if we`d like fresh meals. Well we did think these ones could have glass in them..wouldn`t you?

We moved ourselves to another table, lugging, wheelchair footrests, which I`d taken off to enable me to get closer to the table, damp bags and stuff. The supervisor also apologised and Isaid she would organise new meals. I just looked at her and said in a very calm way, `We won`t be paying for them.` Sis looked at me in amazment. The supervisor said `Pardon!` I repeated myself.

To that she replied, `Then I`ll return your money and you won`t be getting anymore food`. The manager arrived. He asked what had happened. I told him. I said we used the pub before and liked the access,etc and didn`t really want to go looking for another eatery. I said I felt we should be offered some kind of compensation. he explained that he could give us free drinks, but not food. I said i was unhappy with that.

He then said he could reduce the price of our food from £11 to £5 and the drinks would be free. we accepted. We were brought our new meals and enjoyed them very much.

The manager returned to us another twice to check we were okay. I asked if he would check that the waitress was okay and to tell her that I knew it was an accident and she shoudln`t worry about it further. He said he had e-mailed Head Office and i should be hearing from them with another apology and vouchers for future meals.

You know what amazed me more than anything? The fact that I felt totally calm throughout the whole episode.

Told you I feel a new inner peace since my resite break, didn`t I? It`s a wonderful feeling.

luv POlly xxxxx

Bless you Polly, can you send up some inner peace to Moray lol.  There are days that are mad really lass.  

Best wishes

Willie

Not only calm but assertive.

well done Poll

Jane

Good for you Poll, I’m not sure if I would have been able to be that assertive. I feel sorry for the poor waitress though!

Keep well

Teresa xx

Yes, well done, but I'm shocked that they thought that you should still pay for the food, after shoddy service and then the accident with the drink, that's the least they could do - you were covered in lemonade and broken glass!

I hope that their HQ does compensate you properly, and you don't have another experience like that.

Luisa x

Hi Willie, sending calm waves of peace, thru the MS forum. Can you feel it yet? Good, innit?

luv Pollx

[quote=lals02]

Yes, well done, but I’m shocked that they thought that you should still pay for the food, after shoddy service and then the accident with the drink, that’s the least they could do - you were covered in lemonade and broken glass!

I hope that their HQ does compensate you properly, and you don’t have another experience like that.

Luisa x

[/quote

Hi Luisa, ta for your reply. Yes, don`t want a repeat episode.

luv Pollx]

Hi Teresa, yes I did feel sorry for the waitress. I did ask the manager to check she was alright, as she seemed flustered before the mishap. Poor lass!

luv Pollx

Hi Jane, cheers for your reply.

I do like your avatar…still haven`t worked out how to get one myself, despite folk telling me to go about it.

luv Pollx